Electronic Builders Workshop Discuss how to build motors, ESC's, chargers, mixers, etc here

Electrical parts and such

Old 03-30-2011, 05:47 AM
FM Snafu

Default Electrical parts and such

Looking for websites that have the connectors, wires and other parts that I need to make patch cables. Preferred that get them at one site.
Also other odds and ends to keep on flying.

Tanks;
Ed
Old 03-30-2011, 06:11 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by FM Snafu View Post
Looking for websites that have the connectors, wires and other parts that I need to make patch cables. Preferred that get them at one site.
Also other odds and ends to keep on flying.

Tanks;
Ed
I've not purchased from this company, but they seem to have a variety of stuff.
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/battery_c...rs_330_ctg.htm

This one I have purchased from, no problems, good stuff. Check out their power pole crimper, well worth the money. NO SOLDERING!
http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-powerpoles/

If you are just trying to connect various batteries to a meter for measuring current, take a look at Sears #82369 AC and DC clamp on ammeter. It's got ranges from 0-40 and 0-400 Amps. I've got one, and use it often. (Note most clamp on ammeters are AC only)
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...u=03482369000P
Old 03-30-2011, 06:24 AM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Talking

Hi Ed
Welcome aboard
Im pleased to meet you
Try the RC dollar store great deals and free shipping for orders over $15.00
http://www.dollarrcparts.com/index.html
Take care
Yours Hank
Old 03-31-2011, 03:07 AM
FM Snafu

Thanks for the info on the shops. I like the selection at hobby lobby,but I don't know how to buy items online and have no desire to learn it. Been involved in the Power Poles with ham gear. From the information that I am learning about the 30 amp are on the low side. Haven't been able to find them in 60 amp.
Thanks Hank for the dollar site. It has some interesting items to get for my kit.

All info in this area is appreciated. As I am new to this "arena" of toys.)

Ed
Old 03-31-2011, 03:12 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi Ed and Welcome to Wattflyers, Heads up RC is a great place to buy lots of E Power goodies

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/StoreFront
Old 03-31-2011, 06:41 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by FM Snafu View Post
Thanks for the info on the shops. I like the selection at hobby lobby,but I don't know how to buy items online and have no desire to learn it. Been involved in the Power Poles with ham gear. From the information that I am learning about the 30 amp are on the low side. Haven't been able to find them in 60 amp.
Thanks Hank for the dollar site. It has some interesting items to get for my kit.

All info in this area is appreciated. As I am new to this "arena" of toys.)

Ed
I've been using the 45 amp terminals in my models without problems. Several of them pull 60 amperes at full throttle, but they don't stay at full throttle for more than a few seconds.

All my powerpole connectors are crimped, not soldered. Anderson also makes a 75 Amp connector, but it is twice as long, twice as wide, twice as thick, the thing is huge. (These connectors go up to electric fork lift size, that use 2/0 or 4/0 cables) I use them for 12 volt connections between my two parallel connected 120 Amp Hour deep cycle batteries, and my Cellpro Prolab 8 charger.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:56 PM
Henry Sistrunk

http://epbuddy.com/
I have used this one for charging extensions and deans plugs. Fast service,low cost shipping.
Henry
Old 04-08-2011, 05:15 AM
FM Snafu

Thank you one and all. Have ordered the cable making parts from epbuddy,expecting them this friday.
Also appreciate the info on the Anderson Power Poles. Can combine two hobbies in one area.)

Ed
Old 04-08-2011, 05:58 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Henry Sistrunk View Post
http://epbuddy.com/
I have used this one for charging extensions and deans plugs. Fast service,low cost shipping.
Henry

Interesting, a USA supplier of the 2300 Mah A123 cells!
Old 05-01-2011, 06:37 PM
UGLYPUG

Hi,, Got a question on an outrunner motor. It is a 60 size,, I ran it hot, timing was off, but did not burn the windings, and some magnets came loose. I glued them back in, but it does not want to start turning very well, and the 3 wires start getting hot. I have a second motor, and swapped the stators and rotors??? And the windings part works with the new motor rotor? ,, it seems one of the magnets I re glued may be in backwards, upside down?? I did not know if that made any difference,,, it seems from looking at the "scratch" marks on all of them, that it is only one,, could that be the problem?? The bearings are all good,,,, it only ran for a short time while "hot" ,,, any thoughts???
Old 05-01-2011, 07:09 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by UGLYPUG View Post
Hi,, Got a question on an outrunner motor. It is a 60 size,, I ran it hot, timing was off, but did not burn the windings, and some magnets came loose. I glued them back in, but it does not want to start turning very well, and the 3 wires start getting hot. I have a second motor, and swapped the stators and rotors??? And the windings part works with the new motor rotor? ,, it seems one of the magnets I re glued may be in backwards, upside down?? I did not know if that made any difference,,, it seems from looking at the "scratch" marks on all of them, that it is only one,, could that be the problem?? The bearings are all good,,,, it only ran for a short time while "hot" ,,, any thoughts???
Take a look:
Drytesting brushless motors
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35216

Yes the magnets must be in the proper order of "North - South - North- South around the magnet structure. Getting one backwards will likely screw up the ESC's sensing.

Back in the days when I built up a few www.gobrushless.com motors, I used the old trick of putting some baking soda between the magnets, making certain no baking soda sticks over the magnets. Then hit the baking soda with the very thin CA. Instant concrete. Might help to lightly sand the area under and inbetween the magnets before doing this.

Don't know for certain, but the above thread has a chance of identifying an upside down magnet, by shorting out the three motor windings with a wire nut, then slowly spinning the motor with a small battery operated drill. The resulting drag will be very significant, and should be very smooth. Don't short out the motor windings with a jumper cable from Radio Shack, the currents involved are very high, voltage very low.

Good luck
Old 08-28-2013, 01:16 PM
1geo1
George

Welcome !
Try www.alliedelec.com
www.goldmine-elec-products.com
www.stellartechnical.com