Europe For our RC brethren across the pond.

"Project Globetrotter"

Old 05-06-2007, 11:58 AM
stinkweed007
Super Contributor

Just want to point something out. I have been asked a few times about the order which I am laying out (in pencil)

Yes, WG1 will move in a General Eastward direction through the course of this project... but there will be a few switchbacks.. (and even more when she is underway) the reason for this is because many pilots will make personal efforts to hand-carry WG1 to the next destination. (none greater than that of SOP) once the 2+ pilots are together, they can split the shipping cost to the next destination, lightening the burden of any one pilot.

I hope this makes sense to the pilots. I am just trying not to have 10 pilots pass WG1 to a single pilot, then the single pilot gets stuck with an over-seas shipping bill alone..

cool?
Old 05-06-2007, 08:12 PM
Kat
Pyromaniac

Yep. I learned that I fly rockets next to where Marc fly's planes.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:04 PM
stinkweed007
Super Contributor

Kat.. Cool, then that works out great!!

Update,
Well, it looks like we wont be setting a "World Record" because there is no record to break.. we WILL be the first. I am waiting on confirmation of that fact from The book staff.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:53 AM
EUT
Old Timer

Default Race?

Are we in a race with the Tigermoth?
Old 05-07-2007, 05:51 AM
Son of Paleface
Ozzie Express Wiggy Pilot

( Dont mention 'race' to Eut)
Old 05-07-2007, 06:43 AM
Geoff_Gino
Geoff Ogden

Hi Stink

Count me in for South Africa. Make the packageing as light as possible for the send on. I might have to ship it back overseas.

Also the idea of not putting a Tx And Rx in the plane is good. Not everone flies 'Mode 2' and the pilot will have to meet the requirements of the law is his/her country.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:30 AM
stinkweed007
Super Contributor

Eut,
No, we are not officially in a race with Tigermouth. I only foud out about it over the weekend. but it would be great to get done first.. to be first...

Geoff!!! THANKS for punchin in!! Thats not only another country.. but another CONTINENT on the project!! Weight IS a factor which top on my list. thats why I am trying to limit all I can to get the box as light, yet sturdy, as possible... Happy to have you on board!!
Old 05-07-2007, 11:13 AM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default Let this begin !!!

We have gained enough momentum now, let's get going on it and start the world tour, I think there will be NO need to fill in the gaps volunteer wise once this is officially started........ !!!
Old 05-07-2007, 11:23 AM
stinkweed007
Super Contributor

The pause in this project is that I am soon to receive guidelines from Guinness as to what facts and documents we need to establish a concrete "First"

I would hate to get started, but then back-track when we get the word that there is something we need to be doing.. ya'know?
Old 05-07-2007, 12:06 PM
Son of Paleface

Stink ,Take your time ,this is only a week old ,Rome was not built in a day :<

BTW is the plane the one with ailerons , or the 3 channel one ??

Last edited by Son of Paleface; 05-07-2007 at 12:14 PM. Reason: question
Old 05-07-2007, 12:06 PM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default Guinness

WattFlyer is a big enough endorsment for me, let Guinness play a game of catch up if they need to....

Brian
Old 05-07-2007, 04:44 PM
stinkweed007
Super Contributor

SOP, WG1 will be the 4ch version. of course those who dont have 4ch experience can simply not plug them in, and they wont be needed. but I wanted to have the option for those who enjoy them.

Sauce,
WattFlyer and its pilots are all hoping for the success of this project, and all want it to be something. But, WattFlyer does not, a world first, make..

any of the prior military here, or anyone who has tried to accomplish something which needs to go through multiple offices knows, documents... documents.. documents.. its the only way to get it logged in solid.

Guinness is not in the business of playing "catch up". its one of those questions of "who needs who" and they don't NEED us.. we need them for this "first" logging so we gotta do it right. It's just the order of things..
Old 05-07-2007, 07:16 PM
stinkweed007
Super Contributor

The submission to Guinness:
-------------

-Claim Title: First R/C airplane to go around the world
-City/Town/Village: International
-Date of attempt: 00:00:00

-Record Details:
Through 40+ pilots in 11+ countries on 4+ continents, a single Radio Controlled airplane will be flown by each pilot, photo and log recorded at the pilots location or landmark, then mailed/hand-carried to next pilot in a general eastward direction until returning to its maiden pilot having gone completely around the world.

Such a record does not exist, but we are open to your ideas on how this could become a competetive feat.

The project has not yet started but can be followed at the free WattFlyer.com forum under "Project Globetrotter" my screen name is Stinkweed007.

the Guinness "must" answers:
Who? Hobby R/C pilots of WattFlyer.com. No sponsorship funding.
How? each pilot-fly locally, record, photo then ship (mail)East or hand-carry East to next pilot until completely around the Earth.
Measure? First around the world, possibly by amount of pilots/time.
Why? to be the first to do such a thing. Again, we are flexible, and can modify the project to make it something competitive.

Thanks

-Media:
This event will have NO sponsor. This event will be tracked and read by and through the R/C Aircraft free online forum WattFlyer.com
-This event is not in aid of Charity

Thank you for submitting a record application.
Your claim is now in a queue pending transfer within the next 24 hours.

-------------

I boosted the pilots and countries because I am certian this total will be met.. 9 more pilots and 1 more country... They were bugged because I wrote International as the town, but I was bugged because they made you pick a country... "We are the world...."
Old 05-08-2007, 12:02 AM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default competition

The competition should be number of pilot's and countries/states/provinces/etc. covered rather then how fast they can be shipped. Once this gets started I'm sure we are going to get even more invlovlement.

I think it's good you are keeping this within the watt flyer current members, if we really wanted to push involvment, we likely may get someone on board that is less then scrupilous, be it competition or someone that wants to steal the plane.

In the end, there will likely be press releases regardless if Guinness is on board, I for one will reccomend posting the event through all of the major rc plane magazines. Watt Flyer is going to come out ahead due to that one exposure wise so it's a win win situation if done correctly.

Last edited by Saucerguy2; 05-08-2007 at 12:18 AM.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:09 AM
Son of Paleface

Stinky , another thought is , someone is going to have to send it on the longest leg , which is across the Pacific , now at the moment that could either be the guy in Japan or Booma in New Zealand :<............ that is if no one in Hawaii puts their hand up .......so I was thinking (more headpain)
how we could help with these large costs ??
Old 05-08-2007, 01:56 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

I've already thought about that too. Maybe a Pay Pal account set up to share the cost? We would already know the weight and the shipping label can be payed for and printed on-line. Right?

Just a thought.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:59 AM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default Logistix

Agreed on Hawaii, I have a client there on one of the islands I'll ask about if he knows anybody that fly's RC locally, he's very reputable so I'm not worried about that end with him being he's not a Watt Flyer member as well.

We may have to end up with a final list that's non editable after this begins, take down every address and contact info at once, then coordinate estimated shipping costs through a common carrier, ie. UPS and average it out so each member is paying the same amount.

We then have to have a reliable party to handle the money and coordinate pickup/drop off locations and times. Now, since this is a Watt Flyer program and Watt Flyer is going to gain alot of PR through it, perhaps the owner of this forum could help in this area and even offset the costs. Even with those dropping the plane off to another city, there is still going to be gas charges.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:25 AM
stinkweed007
Super Contributor

ok.. lots of points.. so let me start with this.. I just can't make a short post..
WG1 will be packaged a light as possible.
The box will be cardboard and foam.

The box will contain
1x log book.
2x 8 cell 9.6v flight batts.
1x complete WG1.

The box will not contain
A Transmitter nor Receiver.
Extra motors, servos or other parts or electrics.
Any extra items not directly involved with the flight and recording of WG1.

I only say all that so that we understand that shipping cost IS on my mind, because MAX2112 and I will be splitting the sending of WG1 to Africa.. ect....

SOP,
in post 126 of this thread, I attempted to explain, due specifically to the shipping cost of the long throws, the route of WG1 might take a few small turns. but still moving in a general eastward direction. Many pilots have expressed interest in combining forces with one another throughout this journey so I am attempting to use that to the advantage of the project in such a way that the combined forces of multiple pilots sending WG1 overseas or internationally could be reduced due to the splitting of costs.

I hope I am not wrong on that thought.

Sauce,
Before I lay any guidelines as to the speed or location/pilot sums, I want to hear what Guinness has to say. They may have a way to make this into a competition, to which another group or party may wish to exceed. But until then, this part remains open.

As far as having a central treasurer, or funding pool. I can’t, in good conscience, propose such an idea as of yet. The Pilots have all pretty much decided how they are going to pass WG1 on. So the concern still is on the long throws.

Those pilots with the serious shipping concerns currently are Europe – South Africa. South Africa – New Zealand. Australia – Japan. Japan – Canada. New Jersey – UK. Those pilots can contact me personally via PM about these concerns. There we will discuss verifying the cost, and giving support to the pilot.

Marc/Admin has offered his assistance if needed. Even though I am just a 9-5 working stiff myself, I’m willing to throw a few bucks in as well. Those obstacles can be jumped when we get to them. but an ‘equal share in / variable share out’ pool of cash would be nearly impossible to control or verify.. however I am recommending that whenever WG1 is to be shipped, that it be in such a way that can be tracked by all online.

As far as what WattFlyer gains from all this.. I consider that a gain for us all. If WattFlyer gains notoriety and fame for this project, then we get more users, when we get more users, it benefits us all when we post here. Especially me, for when I come up with another crazy idea..

I personally am not gaining nor have I been promised anything (except a few stickers for WG1). I am interested in the project.. I want to see it happen, and I want to know that I was a part of it.

I have not pursued the magazines or any press whatsoever until WG1 is underway. I don’t want a deep pocket company to get this done before us. Once she is moving, then we can have the magazines, as you so eloquently put it, “play catch up” and report/track our achievements.

Just a little more patients, and we will get this all started..!
Old 05-08-2007, 08:43 AM
Geoff_Gino
Geoff Ogden

Hi Stink

Just another idea to add to the mamoth task of the shipping. I am just not sure of the cost implications, but once it's on it's way perhaps a sponser will jump in.

I thought an account with UPS (possible sponser?) wolud perhaps ease the cost pressure.
That way the person sending WG1 on need only use the account number for WG1 and drop it off at UPS.

Just a thought.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:53 AM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default Stink

The fact it's posted here means the game is afoot if there are any deep pocket companies wanting to do the same, I was just addressing the sooner rather then later element due to that, this is the drawback to displaying your ideas publicly, everybody can read them and beat you to the punch if it's just in idea stage. That's why I posted what I did along moving the time frame forward.

I'm glad admin is on board to help out wherever if we need it, this is what's going to solidify this project since anything and all things tend to go wrong in the real world so it's good to have some kind of backing. I also gotta reinterate, there is going to be a business side to this event regardless of how nuetral we all are about it so that issue should be addressed in the process regardless and I was pointing out a few of the basic elements incurred should we find ourselves in some kind of either legal battle, or if some outside as you say, big pocket company, exploits the situation. I also agree, we all gain by having more members join up, it also speaks well of our current members for taking this kind of unprecendented initiave.

Crazy ideas..... Well, you are going to eventually find that you and I are very much alike in this area, keep them coming, insanity is contagous.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:57 AM
stinkweed007
Super Contributor

ok.. it is apparent that I underestimated the concern about shipping costs. although WG1 in her box with the book will be quite light, I have been PMed and read posts about those concerns.

I have sent off information/requests to FedEx and UPS on what they might have to offer in the way of discounts for exclusivity and so forth.

Now we will wait to see if they have something to add.

I wish to be clear on my opinion of sponsorship and 3rd party involvment.

I am trying to gear this project to not need any help from anyone outside of WattFlyer.

Once you open the door to sponsors and other parties, they tend to want to push their desires on the project. How its displayed, how its documented, PR for them.. where WG1 is flown.. where WG1 is NOT flown.. ect... If we were to gain a pilot in an area where the sponsor has no service, we might damage the relationship with the sponsor by using a different carrier. so.. call me hard headed, but I would rather not have a sponsor, then leave out a pilot.

However, I am just one opinion in our growing crew, so I have requested the information from both companies to see what comes out of it.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:29 AM
stinkweed007
Super Contributor

Sauce,

The "punch" has already been thrown by posting dates on this thread..

its the body-shot and the hard right uppercut that have to be landed right before we claim the belt..

and as fars as the business side.. if WattFlyer pilots and WattFlyer itself get the bulk of the credit.. Then I consider it mission accomplished.. I think the Business side is only if we go looking for it..

Legal battles, well.. we just got to make sure we keep this as uncomplicated, documented and mission oriented as possible and I cant forsee us even talking to a lawyer about it. don't take that as me being nieve, i do know such difficulties exist.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:52 AM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default Just saying

If WF, the owner want's to help out wherever, take it if necessary, they have nothing but good intentions for this project and as you can see, are not trying to dictate how things are done by letting you run with the ball.

Just addressing details and contingencies, we have many of them to cover in a short period of time so might as well get them all on the table at once. And as always, just my 2 cents only, ultimately it's your call as to how it's all going to be done since this is your baby.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:41 PM
stinkweed007
Super Contributor

Thanks Sauce... Your comments are well noted.

But lets limit how many issues we put on the table, and keep them limited to the issues we are actually facing. like shipping costs, and I dont mean the shady stuff you spoke of in Indoniesia.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:06 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Just a few thoughts.....I signed on to be a part of WG1 knowing I would incur some costs, whether they be shipping or travel. Most others signed on with the same understanding.

I also signed on just because Stink had a good idea and I thought it would be fun to be involved. I did not sigh on to set a Guinness Record, or to beat someone else to the punch or benefit some company. If that happens, great, but that is now why I am involved. If this gets to be such a involved deal, it won't happen because it will be dragged down by its own weight.

Lets just keep it simple, the way Stink envisioned it in the beginning, and get it going. I would like to fly WG1 before I die of old age, waiting for the minute details to be worked out.

If the shipping costs are a problem for some, they could opt out. As stated earlier, I would contribute funds to the purchase of WG1 or to subsidizing the long haul shipping legs. I would do this by sending the funds to Stink for distribution to the specific pilots who have to ship over the ocean.

This is Stinks idea, he came up with it so let him make the decisions. I for one believe he is doing a great job. Lets not take the fun out of WG1.

Quick Reply: "Project Globetrotter"

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11896 seconds with 11 queries