Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Guillows DC3 flies

Old 02-09-2008, 07:54 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Default Guillows DC3 flies

This post is at that other lousy place too, but only because I have a few Guillows buddies over there. That site dosen't deserve it.

After scrapping the brushed 300 motors and replacing with $20 outrunners a few weeks back, I have now finally run out of excuses. Nice calm early evening at the park today.

I first tried ROG on the park road, which was very uncontrollable with the tail lifting a bit, and the light, solid plastic tailwheel bouncing all over the place. Finally got an ROG at very low speed, which almost got going, at a few feet high, after flying maybe 100 feet. Well that was all I needed to see, as it looked really promising, if it could have just gained a hair more speed.

I then walked over to the field and gave it a good hand toss. Went off beautifully. No surprises at all. Was very stable in flight, although there was no excess power for anything. I stalled a bit at height early in the flight, but the recovery out of the banking dive responded well. No bad habits and not a scary flier at all. I'll be flying this one more. Seemed very solid. The sink rate on landing is obviously pretty steep at 19.2oz, but was stable on landing. At its weight, it's not overly responsive to elevator when on a downglide, and near the end of the approach I pretty much just held full up-elevator to slow it down as much as possible. Set down nicely on the frozen grass.

Specs:
I was pretty leery about this plane, at 19.2oz AUW, and the CG set at around 30% center chord, or 42mm if I remember correctly. Probably would be even better a mm or so forward, but I just couldn't bring myself to adding any more weight to the plane. To my surprise, it took off at low speed and proved to have ample power, which was another concern. The small props are 5x3 Thimble Drome gas props. I was really worried about getting ample power from the small outrunners on the 3s-1320 ProLite, which proved to not be a problem. These little low dollar outrunners are reasonably high in kv, at around 1800kv, which lends well to the 3s small prop setup. Master Airscrew 3-bladers are not very aggressive, and probably wouldn't do much better, which is why I went with the TD props. I almost bought a pair of 5x3MS 3-bladers yesterday at the LHS, but as they say, if it ain't broke don't fix it, so I'll stick with what I have now. Also, if you go any larger than 5" for props, they'll ground strike when the tail raises.

The wingspan was cheated a few inches to 39-7/8". Without the additional sheeting weight on mine, the stock span would be fine. I'm fully convinced the 1.5 to 2 degrees washout I've been adding to these Guillows planes really helps.

Anyone thinking of building one, I'd say go for it. Very straight forward flyer with no issues, and even flies well tank heavy. Most of the top wing, and the entire fuse on this build is sheeted, so weight could easily be reduced. With modern lipos, a lighter batt than the 3s-1320 would satify the power requirement. I can't remember exactly offhand, but I know the setup drew a good bit less than 100W.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DC3_Guillows11_bl_outrunners.jpg
Views:	934
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	55060   Click image for larger version

Name:	DC3_Guillows_flight_5.jpg
Views:	749
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	55061   Click image for larger version

Name:	DC3_Guillows_flight_1_lightened.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	55062  

Last edited by Bill G; 02-09-2008 at 08:12 AM.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:25 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Get them over here Bill...

Glad to see it in the air.

Will it be coming with you to SEFF?
Old 02-09-2008, 01:06 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

That's a beauty! Nice work.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:49 PM
dmmalish
r/c crash test "DUMMY"

very nice build how long did it take to complete
Old 02-09-2008, 03:11 PM
griffin

Very nice!

I've always had a soft spot for the DC-3, especially after seeing them fly in Alaska off dirt strips when I lived there.

Hope you have many great flights with her, Steve
Old 02-09-2008, 08:24 PM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Thanks for the comments.

I really want to make it to SEFF. Kinda depends on that money thing. Actually I really need to make it though, as I now have a stable of unique scratch built and kit bashed eflyers in the air. Love to see them get in some mags, instead of all those darn ARFs.

Its been so long since I built the plane, I can harldy remember how long the build took. The fuse goes together quite well though and is easier to build up straight than some of the other kits. Sheeting the shape obviously isn't too bad either. All the effort was in the wing and tail surfs. Mounting engines was a bit of work, as the mounts are all lined with CF spar too, so the won't just snap off. I like things that don't break. The wing was a bit of a job, since I had to lay out my own plan over the plan, since I extended the span. Making framed tail surfs really eats the time, but sure looks better that thin sheet balsa tail surfs.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:50 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

your an insperation bill. you really are.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:46 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
Thanks for the comments.

I really want to make it to SEFF. Kinda depends on that money thing. Actually I really need to make it though, as I now have a stable of unique scratch built and kit bashed eflyers in the air. Love to see them get in some mags, instead of all those darn ARFs.
Here's what you do...

Bring your fleet, put them out in front of your tent, sell them....

You'll make more than enough money for the trip.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:53 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Nice Job Bill! Great looking plane ya have there.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:26 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Thanks for the comments Bill.

Fred, as poor as I am, I've thought about making a living selling these conversions, but I don't think people would appreciate the work that goes into them which would determine the price. I've actually thought about it quite a bit, since model building is about the only thing I like to do anymore.

I've never been to any major fly-ins, although I plan to make it this year through hell and high water. Just out of interest, do people actually pay good money for unique planes at these shows, if the builders want to sell them? You never hear about this in any mags. Apparently, there is a market in the UK for stuff like this, and they actually have meets/auctions that are specifically for selling handbuilt rc collector planes.

I actually built this right at the same time Great Planes came out with their identical scheme DC3. I would have never guessed that this plane would someday fly as well as theirs. You would think folks would much rather show up with a handbuilt like this, than the GP ARF DC3.

I would think that folks with money would want unique stuff, since there's so much more pride and recognition than what you get flying ARFs. Think about it, how many people in the average club show up with a Guillows DC3? You would think some fliers would find planes like these appealing, even though you'd have to ask a good bit of money for them. The other thing the blows me away is that executive pay big bucks for planes like Franklin Mints, that don't even do anything. Wouldn't they rather have something like this in their office, that they could say actually flies. I know I would, if I was a rich executive.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:01 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

There's a few different buyers that I noticed at the show last year.

Of course, there's the people that want something that's RTF, other's that think if it's been flown, it should be next to free.

I also remember watching people shell out insane amounts of money. Of course, there's always the few that would buy your planes, because they were YOUR planes.

Sick, I know...
Old 02-10-2008, 05:50 AM
Twmaster

Bill once again I applaud the work you've done. Magnificent!
Old 02-10-2008, 05:55 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Beautiful as always Bill. I would love to see a photograph or two of all your planes lined up (no comments about me strafing them guys).

You have a lot of very unique builds.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:06 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
Beautiful as always Bill. I would love to see a photograph or two of all your planes lined up (no comments about me strafing them guys).

I thought about doing that. It would probably take me about an hour to get the all out in the yard.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:28 AM
RCairplane.pilot

thats a sharp plane Bill, looks really cool up in the air ,LOL. RC
Old 02-12-2008, 08:07 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post

watch out bill, last time Tom was around a line up of planes...
Old 02-13-2008, 01:16 AM
cyclops2
Super Contributor

Default The secret is out !

Bill G.

Is really William Guillows.