Informal Clubs Club Talk

The Official Texas Hill Country Wattheads Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 12:58 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by groundrushesup View Post
Umm, okay so 10-11am it is? I might be a tad late as I work until 10pm tonight and we had the office Xmas party last night which I am still recovering from - good news is I left earlier than all three of my bosses so I look like the responsible one lol

I got a tip from Lucien at Innov8tive about what might be wrong with my CAP's ESC so I am gonna try and fix that tonight - and I am also gonna finally get the servos in the Sukhoi working... Pfft.

So hopefully I'll have the

Gee Bee
Corsair
Chucker 2b
Cap 232
Sukhoi

And the camera lol

Anything else I need to bring drop me a line.

Josh
Yeah, bring a sense of humor...it's been 8 months since I've had my hands on the sticks.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:00 AM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

Thumbs up HCWH Fly In Reunion

Gillespie County Airport/Fairgrounds/:sat/dec11/09

(1-3) Angler-Hi and his EFLT P-47 (note - his first flight following an 8 month deployment - and did a super job)
(3,4) Ben from 3DH and Adam madening Adam's new bird that I fail to remember the name of - sorry.

Groundrushesup joined the formation a short time later and should be following up with posting the bulk of the photo and video documentation of the day asap.

WX conditions weren't that perfect but the company certainly was.
John, naturally your name came up and we're looking forward to your completing the formation soon as you can.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0010.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	115581   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0011.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	115582   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0013.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	115583   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0015.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	115584   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0014.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	115585  

Last edited by Capt Easy; 12-13-2009 at 04:16 AM.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:19 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Dick, you gotta delete that first pic man, lol. I'm not that fat, lol.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:18 PM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Angler-Hi View Post
Dick, you gotta delete that first pic man, lol. I'm not that fat, lol.
Your not fat you just need to fly more often. The wx looks good this morning so soon as I can get loaded up I'm heading out there....
Hope you can make it back next weekend. It's good to have you back.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:23 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Sorry 'bout not posting these last night gents, I had some chinese food and before I knew it I was passed out on the sofa.

Anyhoo Without further ado

Here are the shots, all taken by Mr. Capt. Easy (UEM). some of my Sukhoi, some of the Hyperion CAP just before the maiden.

I'm working on the video right now, hope to have that up in a few minutes.

Here's the video all processed and music'd up lol

Josh

Name:	IMG_0110.jpg
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	115595   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0111.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	115596   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0112.JPG
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	115597   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0113.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	115598   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0114.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	115599  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0117.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	115601   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0118.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	115602   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0119.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	242.2 KB
ID:	115603   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0120.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	115604   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0124.jpg
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	115605  

Name:	IMG_0125.jpg
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	115606   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0126.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	115607   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0127.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	115608   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0128.jpg
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	115609   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0129.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	115610  

Name:	IMG_0130.jpg
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	115611   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0131.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	115612   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0132.jpg
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	115613   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0133.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	115614   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0134.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	115615  

Name:	IMG_0135.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	115616   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0136.jpg
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	115617  

Last edited by groundrushesup; 12-13-2009 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Added Video Link
Old 12-13-2009, 06:41 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Nice pics guys...Josh, how's your arm doing buddy? BTW, every pic you guys posted of me makes me look retarded, lol. I look like a slow guy who got to play pilot for a day, lol...No pun intended for those who have children with special needs (serious note).
Old 12-13-2009, 10:31 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Nice pics guys...Josh, how's your arm doing buddy? BTW, every pic you guys posted of me makes me look retarded, lol. I look like a slow guy who got to play pilot for a day, lol...No pun intended for those who have children with special needs (serious note).

The arm is fine! I poured some Robitussin on it and it cleared right up lol. I spent a moment thinking about how silly I musta looked in the 5 or 6 prop revolutions before I realized what was happening and dropped the plane - "Ow! duh... ow! ow! ow! ow! duh..." and then to have it land right-side up and try to get airborne? Man I wish Dick had been on the camera at that point, that would make the RC blooper reel for sure.

Don't feel too bad about the pics, I always come out like a seriously over-nourished dirtbag hobo... no offense to the hobos out there

Dick mate, sorry I didn't make it up today, I had a project to finish before I could even think of flying and it ballooned into a trip into town for parts, etc.

Needless to say I look forward to next weekend. Mike man, get your GeeBee back together so we can swarm the field.

Josh

PS. - Did you put your bobber on your Antenna yet LOLS! ROFL muahahahaha
Old 12-14-2009, 12:51 AM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

The arm is fine! I poured some Robitussin on it and it cleared right up lol. I spent a moment thinking about how silly I musta looked in the 5 or 6 prop revolutions before I realized what was happening and dropped the plane - "Ow! duh... ow! ow! ow! ow! duh..." and then to have it land right-side up and try to get airborne? Man I wish Dick had been on the camera at that point, that would make the RC blooper reel for sure.

Don't feel too bad about the pics, I always come out like a seriously over-nourished dirtbag hobo... no offense to the hobos out there

Dick mate, sorry I didn't make it up today, I had a project to finish before I could even think of flying and it ballooned into a trip into town for parts, etc.

Needless to say I look forward to next weekend. Mike man, get your GeeBee back together so we can swarm the field.

Josh

PS. - Did you put your bobber on your Antenna yet LOLS! ROFL muahahahaha
Thanks for posting the pics and video. Glad to see you didn't have to amputate your arm too.
Mike - I'll try and take more flattering photos. Next time we'll schedule make-up to be standing by....(and EMS for me & Josh.)
Flew this morning around 1130 for a short time but winds were getting gusty and I retreated till later this afternonn around 1630. Both Corsairs flew and both hee-bee Gee Bees. All went well- (exchanged the tailwheel from the XF4U to the F4U-1).
I'm gioing to try and rebuild the P-47 but the shaft is severley bent so that'l have to be replaced.
Signing off, that is all...
Old 12-14-2009, 03:02 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Glad to hear the arm's doing well. No, I haven't put the bobber on my antenna yet, lol.

Dick...the pics are fine man, lol. I'll do my best to make it up next weekend...shouldn't be a problem though. I need to make a wire extension on my Twister...the ESC doesn't come close to reaching the battery bay under the canopy. The ESC is in the rear of the bird...it has to be that way, no way around it. I'm gonna try something simple first...I'm gonna make a wire extension with a female Deans on one end and a male Deans on the other...I'm just gonna hook it up from the ESC to the battery leads and see if that will work without giving me issues. It'll definitely be bench tested before I finish assembling this jet. Whatta ya think?
Old 12-14-2009, 04:17 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Glad to hear the arm's doing well. No, I haven't put the bobber on my antenna yet, lol.

Dick...the pics are fine man, lol. I'll do my best to make it up next weekend...shouldn't be a problem though. I need to make a wire extension on my Twister...the ESC doesn't come close to reaching the battery bay under the canopy. The ESC is in the rear of the bird...it has to be that way, no way around it. I'm gonna try something simple first...I'm gonna make a wire extension with a female Deans on one end and a male Deans on the other...I'm just gonna hook it up from the ESC to the battery leads and see if that will work without giving me issues. It'll definitely be bench tested before I finish assembling this jet. Whatta ya think?

Does your ESC have capacitors on the battery end (they look like little metal cylinders in between where the black and red wires are soldered to the ESC)? If so you can probably go 8-12 inches of battery wire without risking current spikes when you throttle up. Shouldn't be a problem.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:31 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Yeah, the capacitators are on the same end as the battery leads. LOL, I know what they are and what they look like, lol....silly.

So you think that the wire extension I'm wanting to make will be ok? I'm not trying to splice anything or resolder the battery leads on the ESC with a longer one...just a simple extension with Deans plug on each end.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:28 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Yeah, the capacitators are on the same end as the battery leads. LOL, I know what they are and what they look like, lol....silly.

So you think that the wire extension I'm wanting to make will be ok? I'm not trying to splice anything or resolder the battery leads on the ESC with a longer one...just a simple extension with Deans plug on each end.
yeah, should work.

Sorry, I am used to explaining things to Crash.

Strike this, I was feeling loopy

josh

Last edited by groundrushesup; 12-14-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:53 AM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

oh, that's nice ....I do like the the dog and tv though.

okay, here's some more pics I done forgot of that handsome aviator putting his F-16 up for the first time since last Winter - and did a fine job of it too.

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	115647   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	115648   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	115649   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0008.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	115650   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0009.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	115651  

Name:	IMG_0010.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	115652   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0011.jpg
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	115653  
Old 12-14-2009, 12:41 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Thanks for the pics Dick. Josh, I really don't have anything against the guy, except when he put his plane up as soon as Dick lost the P-47...there were people walking out in the field to retrieve it and his plane was all over the place. That's like walking down range to look at your target while there are still people firing.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:14 AM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

I totally agree and that's a good analogy. Some people just don't seem to grasp the concept and it's a pita to fly with them let alone share the range with them. Common sense and consideration goes a long way. In his case however, if I mention something I'm not comfortable with, he complies without a problem. On the other hand it should be unneccessary to have to say anything in the first place IMO.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:08 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Capt Easy View Post
I totally agree and that's a good analogy. Some people just don't seem to grasp the concept and it's a pita to fly with them let alone share the range with them. Common sense and consideration goes a long way. In his case however, if I mention something I'm not comfortable with, he complies without a problem. On the other hand it should be unneccessary to have to say anything in the first place IMO.
Yeah, I agree. Another thing that made me a bit uncomfortable, was him flying while trying to supervise and control his kids. Made me a bit nervous there a few times.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:11 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Hey Josh and Dick...what brand servos are you guys using on most of your applications? Just curious. I love the Hitec servos, but was wondering if you guys have tried the micro 9g servos from HobbyCity or Hobbypartz.com.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:37 AM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

Hey Josh and Dick...what brand servos are you guys using on most of your applications? Just curious. I love the Hitec servos, but was wondering if you guys have tried the micro 9g servos from HobbyCity or Hobbypartz.com.
I've been using the HXT900 9g servos from HC more so than the Hitec and had very good service from them. They seem to be lasting better than the HS-55's. I'd suggest ordering some spare nylon gears for them just to have them on hand though. I have had to relace the gears on a couple two or three. But had worse luck with the HS-55's. I'd recommend them.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:41 AM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

Found the wing in the Marines Dream was cracked tonight. Must hve been from the
x-wind T.O. incident last week.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:55 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Thanks Dick. I know I'm gonna be going with high torque metal gear servos in the Eratix. I was just curious how well the HC servos held up...really can't argue with the price, that's why. Thanks again friend.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:37 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Thanks Dick. I know I'm gonna be going with high torque metal gear servos in the Eratix. I was just curious how well the HC servos held up...really can't argue with the price, that's why. Thanks again friend.

I use the HXT 9g on my Trojan and the Corsair as well as for the glider project and any smaller profile foamies - but for the Sukhoi and the CAP I am using TG90's - either from TowerPro or the newer Turnigy variant. Metal gears and almost 4 lbs. of torque. When I order I like to grab some of both.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:53 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

I use the HXT 9g on my Trojan and the Corsair as well as for the glider project and any smaller profile foamies - but for the Sukhoi and the CAP I am using TG90's - either from TowerPro or the newer Turnigy variant. Metal gears and almost 4 lbs. of torque. When I order I like to grab some of both.
Sweet! Thanks Josh.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:35 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Just got around to watching the maiden video there guys. Josh that was awesome man!! I'm glad I got to be there for that!

Well, I decided to go with a metallic purple with metallic silver accents outlined in metallic black for my Multiplex Twister, lol. I'll start the painting tomorrow...maybe, lol. I wanted to glass her, but I can't find the silk locally or the thinner fiberglass cloth. I even went to Home Depot! I also couldn't find any nylon spacers or hex bolts. The only spacers they had were aluminum which wasn't a problem...but they were only up to 3" long. I wanted to pick some up when I make my motor mount for the next .60 warbird. Oh well, I'll try Ace hardware tomorrow.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:15 AM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

Mike,

I should have mentioned ACE Hardware is where to get the nylon spacers...I think you should be able to get what you need.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:48 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Capt Easy View Post
Mike,

I should have mentioned ACE Hardware is where to get the nylon spacers...I think you should be able to get what you need.
Thanks Dick...yeah, I'm gonna head over there today when I get off work...this morning, lol. I've also decided I'm go ahead with the P-51 build...I just ordered the retracts from Nitro Planes last night for $14.99. Hopefully their the right size, lol. They didn't have any specs on them, but they look identical to what was in the P-51 kit. The only thing I can't find are the wheel pants for them...I may just hand make some with light balsa and a little silver covering. Shouldn't be too hard. Wish me luck, lol.

Quick Reply: The Official Texas Hill Country Wattheads Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.13205 seconds with 47 queries