E-Flite Helicopters Discuss E-Flite helicopters in this forum such as the Blade CX, Blade CX2, Blade CP Pro and all other E-Flite rc helis.

MSR main blade horizontal slop

Old 11-30-2013, 09:15 PM
dontrinko

Default MSR main blade horizontal slop

I have some slop in the main blades in the horizontal direction. (feathering shaft to blade holder )I can not see the washer or o ring. i measured .025" gap.
Would this make it difficult to fly? Thanks; Don
Old 12-01-2013, 08:26 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Surely the Blade MSR is a fixed pitch heli? Fixed pitch heads dont have feathering shafts.

maybe if you took a photos to show where the slop is?
Old 12-01-2013, 05:10 PM
dontrinko

I probably have the description wrong. It is the shaft that goes between the 2 blades and allows them to swivel. The manual calls it a "feathering spindle". Don
Old 12-01-2013, 05:21 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

ok, I know hat you mean now, and your terminology is correct, it's my knowledge of fixed pitch helis that's flawed.

The play you describe shouldn't cause any handling issues, providing there is no vibration then it's ok, but do check any screws are tight just in case.
Old 12-13-2014, 03:16 AM
SBMcGuire

By play do you mean that the blades slide sid to side slightly or that you can rock the blades perpendicular to the pin that runs through the hub? If you can rock the blades (ends of blades move up and down) thats bad. You'll get sporatic movements in flight where the hell will shoot one way or another randomly a few inches. The blades should only rock or Twist to allow imput from the fly bar to stabalize flght.

I just tryed installing the aluminum rotor hub and had an issue with this as the holes the cross pin goes through are too large allowing the blades to rock up and down.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:08 PM
Brian VT

I'm curious too (although I'm working on my mSRx. same parts though).
The parts kit comes with 4 washers and 4 o-rings but the parts diagram only shows 2 of each. If you install per the diagram (1 washer and 1 o-ring per side) then there is some play in the head. If all are installed then you have to squash it to get it together. I squashed it and it's flying fine but has some vibration when spooling up.
I plan to try it the other way. Maybe tonight.
I don't think an mSR would fly with it squashed tight because it would prevent the flybar from doing it's job?
Old 12-16-2014, 04:42 PM
SBMcGuire

Originally Posted by Brian VT View Post
I'm curious too (although I'm working on my mSRx. same parts though).
The parts kit comes with 4 washers and 4 o-rings but the parts diagram only shows 2 of each. If you install per the diagram (1 washer and 1 o-ring per side) then there is some play in the head. If all are installed then you have to squash it to get it together. I squashed it and it's flying fine but has some vibration when spooling up.
I plan to try it the other way. Maybe tonight.
I don't think an mSR would fly with it squashed tight because it would prevent the flybar from doing it's job?
I don't have a MSRX but when I googled pictures of the rotor head assembly, I don't think it would work well if you smashed all four orings in there. Looks like it would bind and either not work or destroy your servo motors. Eith by over exertion or grinding the thred teeth.

As long as you cannot rock the blades (outer edges move up and down opposit eachother.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:49 PM
Brian VT

I do plan to switch it back. Thanks.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:05 PM
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

There should be a washer in between the grips and the head. A slight play is okay, as long as both sides have the same play. If somehow one side is moving and the other side is tight, you are likely missing a part somewhere. Force from the rotor turning will cause the grips to tighten up, more or less.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:37 PM
Brian VT

Originally Posted by SBMcGuire View Post
I googled pictures of the rotor head assembly, I don't think it would work well if you smashed all four orings in there.
The thing is that an o-ring fits nicely into the rotor hub (like on other helis I've worked on) so I figured why not throw one in there, then the washer and other o-ring per the schematic.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:26 PM
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Remove the linkages, how easily does it pivot?
Old 12-17-2014, 01:47 PM
Brian VT

If assembled per the schematic (washers to head, o-rings outside that) then it's too tight for pivoting and the feathering shaft is sloppy in the head.
I put the o-rings inside the head (keeps the feathering shaft in line) and washers outside that. It flies perfectly.
The horizontal play on mine is minimal but it would probably be fine to add washers to take up that slack if your head's tolerances allowed. Just be sure that it pivots freely so the servos aren't stressed.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:06 PM
SBMcGuire

That sounds like the ticket. It would make sense that the orings are just to stabalize the feathering shaft while the washers stop binding against the rubber Orings. I'm sure that is hwo the scimatic ment for it to be installed. Generally the scematic is just a EPB (exploded parts breakdown). It shows the order the parts go, not necesarily the exact placement of the parts.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:40 AM
Brian VT

Originally Posted by SBMcGuire View Post
Generally the scematic is just a EPB (exploded parts breakdown). It shows the order the parts go
Yes. And this one shows them (the washer and o-ring) in the wrong order.