Support & Suggestions If you need tech support post your question here or site suggestions too.

Getting sick of this forum

Old 10-29-2017, 07:28 PM
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Default Getting sick of this forum

Every time I post here, I have to walk away from 2 weeks minimum. I can't just talk about servo jitter, accidentally putting a prop on backwards or doing anything rc related without getting called out and harassed for several months. I've never had this happen before or any other forum, and I am sick of it, as I am sure many.other people are.

Fpv, electric motors and lipos, quads are all at a all time high, yet I feel like this forum is dying. I know why, so do a ton of other forum members. I used to really like my time here and loved learning and hanging out with the older members.I'd spend a lot more time here if things like this didn't happen.

What's even more ironic is that at the top of the new post reads this.

"Please resist the urge to curse, flame, degrade, insult or embarrass someone in your post. We encourage the free flow of your ideas, but believe that they can be communicated (and received) much more effectively if you keep things civil. If you have to vent, please take it offline. We do monitor posts and will take administrative action towards individuals who engage in offensive conduct within the forums. Thank you.
Wattflyer Staff"

So I can vent if I keep it offline, but not point out a problem on the forum.. Its just too bad that the administrative action is to not read the thread then delete everything even if it doesnt break any rules, along with heavy use of the edit button to try to make it look like another user just flipped out for no reason.

Like I said I really enjoyed my time here, but it's slowly gotten worse and worse to the point i want nothing to do with it anymore.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:12 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Strange because I've found the very opposite. My personal experience is that Wattflyer is one of the more 'easiest going' forums. I've observed that you need a lot thicker skin on the bigger forums, RCGroups for example. Your experience is obviously different and I'm not trying to argue with you, just pointing out my experience. I think that your doing the right thing though, if you feel a thread 'going bad' it's best to just walk away from it.. I cant tell you how long it took me for that lesson to sink in, I still find it hard sometimes!

Having said that I'm not very active here these days so maybe I'm out of touch. This isn't due to 'aggro' on the forum. It's entirely because I'm mainly flying helis these days and the heli forum here is basically dead in the water, there just doesnt seem to be any interest in helis especially bigger ones.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:32 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Originally Posted by hayofstacks View Post
I know why, so do a ton of other forum members.
I couldn't agree more with his entire post. I seldom even look in here anymore. This thread is really going to go upside down once the guilty parties start replying.

Joe
Old 10-29-2017, 10:40 PM
Don Sims
Administrator

Moving to support, suggestions.

I also checked all the reported posts from the last year an don't see any posts reported by anyone who has posted in this thread so far. We sure don't want you getting called out and harassed for several months.

PM me specifics if you want to.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:00 PM
zoltron55

I'm guilty of not being around often but as anything else on the the internet there are morons posting negative crap hope you stay I liked your posts
Old 10-30-2017, 02:21 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Jet,

Know what you mean. Heli guys are in a whole different world. Went to a Heli event we hosted this weekend . Had one of the top 3D heli guys in the world there. Holey moley. I thought I had seen really good heli pilots. This guy made our best pilot look like a beginner. Full time Align pilot Ben Storick. 22 years old and all he’s been found since was 13. Scary good.

I’m flying mainly edf’s these days and unlike RCG and Motion RC’s Hobby Squawk, not a whole lot of guys here are into jets. A few. I do however like to check in occassionaly. Nigel always has something interesting or amusing going on. He’s now into rc cars. Geez. A few guys always scratch building . Many have drifted away with multi-rotor and fpv. Yes Fish, that’s you ! Lol

Sadly some like our beloved Chellie have left the Hobby.

I haven’t really experienced any bullying or bad behavior here. It’s really benign here. Like Jet mentioned, RCG can be brutal. A lot of chest beating over there and alot of experts. Some real experts and some wannabe experts.

I think there a fewer beginners now. Fewer new 3D heli guys. Fewer scratbuilderFewer new fixed wing guys. A whole bunch of new drone guys. Ever been to a drone forum ? Surf’s up moondoggie! Okay, that’s a baby boomer translation. The drone world is from a completely different planet.

So, yes, times are a changing
Old 10-30-2017, 09:27 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I fell really sorry that a post like 'stacks' needs writing.

I know I have fallen foul of the 'thread-fight' at times ... but as Jet says - WF I find to be the most friendly place of all.

As Hawk says - have a look at the Drone Forums !! Boy oh Boy - they make even RCG look like baby's.

I would hate to see you leave us 'Stacks' ... as I would hate to see anyone leave WF.

WF is a good place, just not so active as others.

Nigel
Old 10-30-2017, 09:33 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by hayofstacks View Post
Every time I post here, I have to walk away from 2 weeks minimum. I can't just talk about servo jitter, accidentally putting a prop on backwards or doing anything rc related without getting called out and harassed for several months. I've never had this happen before or any other forum, and I am sick of it, as I am sure many.other people are.

Fpv, electric motors and lipos, quads are all at a all time high, yet I feel like this forum is dying. I know why, so do a ton of other forum members. I used to really like my time here and loved learning and hanging out with the older members.I'd spend a lot more time here if things like this didn't happen.

What's even more ironic is that at the top of the new post reads this.

"Please resist the urge to curse, flame, degrade, insult or embarrass someone in your post. We encourage the free flow of your ideas, but believe that they can be communicated (and received) much more effectively if you keep things civil. If you have to vent, please take it offline. We do monitor posts and will take administrative action towards individuals who engage in offensive conduct within the forums. Thank you.
Wattflyer Staff"

So I can vent if I keep it offline, but not point out a problem on the forum.. Its just too bad that the administrative action is to not read the thread then delete everything even if it doesnt break any rules, along with heavy use of the edit button to try to make it look like another user just flipped out for no reason.

Like I said I really enjoyed my time here, but it's slowly gotten worse and worse to the point i want nothing to do with it anymore.
Hi hayofstacks If Anyone Gives you any SHEET here, Let me Know, and I will Give them a Good Spanking That they will never Forget Problem is that Those kind of people might Like a Good Spanking and want me to Spank them More LOL

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bettie_spank_2.jpg (199.2 KB, 190 views)
Old 10-30-2017, 09:36 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Oh Yes Please Chellie !!

C'mon 'Stacks' .... stay with us please ...

Nigel
Old 10-30-2017, 09:38 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Oh Yes Please Chellie !!

C'mon 'Stacks' .... stay with us please ...

Nigel
LOL I knew you would like that Nigel
Old 10-30-2017, 01:39 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Sadly it seems like more and more "groups" are showing up on facebook taking a lot away from all forums, not just this one. I am guilty of not hanging out here nearly as much as I used to either.

I miss the old days when there were tons of posts everyday. Don't know the answer but it is happening across all the forums I belong to. My camper owners forum, Dodge trucks, etc. all of them are down and responses seem to be getting very snippy.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:45 PM
Stay Quiet

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
Sadly it seems like more and more "groups" are showing up on facebook taking a lot away from all forums, not just this one.

Whatever are you talking about? :-)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Wattflyer/
Old 10-30-2017, 01:48 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I must say that I get notifications of entrys to WF Facebook - but I'm not a FB fan ... so I prefer here.

Nigel
Old 10-30-2017, 01:51 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Not saying that either are good or bad. just stating what I see. I am glad that some do not like FB, that is what is keeping WF alive.

I don't post on WF facebook much at all but I do a lot of other groups. Balsa builders, rc plane addicts, the Pecan Patch, just to name a few.

Photos and videos being easier to load have a lot to do with that.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:21 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Chellie,

Lmao !
Old 10-30-2017, 02:38 PM
Stay Quiet

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
Not saying that either are good or bad. just stating what I see. I am glad that some do not like FB, that is what is keeping WF alive.

I don't post on WF facebook much at all but I do a lot of other groups. Balsa builders, rc plane addicts, the Pecan Patch, just to name a few.

Photos and videos being easier to load have a lot to do with that.
Yes, it is much easier to upload photos to FB without the need to resize to forum standards. In fact, I may consider documenting my Avenger build (which will be started shortly - parts are being cut at the laser service now) on the Wattflyer Facebook page. Just do a photo album, and add notes relating to each step with them.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:57 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Stay Quiet View Post
Yes, it is much easier to upload photos to FB without the need to resize to forum standards. In fact, I may consider documenting my Avenger build (which will be started shortly - parts are being cut at the laser service now) on the Wattflyer Facebook page. Just do a photo album, and add notes relating to each step with them.
Yeah I am building a 12ft Foxbat sailplane. I will eventually trudge through downsizing all the pics and post them here.

Here is one half of the wing!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
wing.jpg (62.9 KB, 145 views)
Old 10-30-2017, 04:22 PM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Aren't Millennials wonderful. They have their own little world, language and schools. Just yesterday I ran across Adulting Schools. I was kind of scratching my head trying to figure it out until I dug a little deeper to see what it is about.

Adulting schools are opening across the country starting on the West and East Coast. It is a school for Millennials to teach them basically how to deal with everyday life like:

Balance a check book.
My Dear Aunt Sally math
How to write and speak in full sentences.
Pay bills, and credit is not money.
What the word NO means
How to behave around people
Emojis are not a language.
Life is not fair or entitled.

I wished I were joking about this.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:47 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Dereck,
It is scary, isn’t it ? Makes you wonder what is being taught in schools these days.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:00 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Dereck,
It is scary, isnít it ? Makes you wonder what is being taught in schools these days.
Oh I know all too well what is being taught in schools and it is scary. My Son is a Senior at Virginia Tech this year and thank God he is in the Corp of Cadets and AF ROTC to keep him balanced from the liberal loonieness of the college system.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:38 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by dereckbc View Post
Aren't Millennials wonderful. They have their own little world, language and schools. Just yesterday I ran across Adulting Schools. I was kind of scratching my head trying to figure it out until I dug a little deeper to see what it is about.

Adulting schools are opening across the country starting on the West and East Coast. It is a school for Millennials to teach them basically how to deal with everyday life like:

Balance a check book.
My Dear Aunt Sally math
How to write and speak in full sentences.
Pay bills, and credit is not money.
What the word NO means
How to behave around people
Emojis are not a language.
Life is not fair or entitled.

I wished I were joking about this.
Millennials........generally accepted as the "Y" Generation born between the years 1984 to 2004.

That would qualify those who are now between the ages of 33yrs and 13yrs......certainly seems that those who are of the ages of 13yrs to 18yrs, that have remained in our public school systems, could use some educational (social) refinement......and those older who have gone on to State run colleges seem to lack common sense attributes........but what about those "millennials" over the age of 25yrs.......?

Dare mention how the parents of these "Millennials" played a major role in their children's development........most of which are now between the ages of 64yrs and 34yrs...........which most likely many qualify as "baby boomers", which we all know lived life styles of peace-love-dove, flowers in their hair, do-whatcha-want, deny everything, screw the man, cops are pigs and grab what you can while you can, cultures.........LOL.......
Old 10-30-2017, 06:09 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Stay Quiet View Post
I never resize .... I just upload to Photobucket ... copy the link and paste.

I know that gives a big picture instead of the smaller attached - but I like it that way to show detail better.

I actually find FB uploading more than here on WF .. funny !

Nigel
Old 10-30-2017, 06:14 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Dereck,
It is scary, isnít it ? Makes you wonder what is being taught in schools these days.
Not being racist or anything - but a report was out recently that showed USA Illiteracy to be in the top league -

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-...who-can-t-read

I know all countries incl. UK have a sizeable number in the population that are below basic literacy levels - which really given todays communications etc. is appalling.

Nigel
Old 10-30-2017, 06:23 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I am 61 coming 62 in January ... When my two boys were at school (UK) it was the time when systems were in serious overhaul and traditional schooling fast being replaced with latter day. My youngest son suffered the worst, his speech was at times incomprehensible, his writing was phonetic rather than correct.
When I approached teachers about this - they said it was new 'ways to teach' and that he would 'grow into' accepted correct ways !!

Well no way ... I kept my two boys at the schools but made effort to have private tuition provided to make up for the schools missing parts. The rewards far outweighed the costs and work. My two boys have a grasp on life and the world that is gratifying to see. We made sure that they could develop their own ideals and beliefs but with Societies values.

I really do wonder about curriculums now ... I go into schools here in Latvia - 15 - 16 yr olds are invited to ask me questions to practice conversationalist English instead of staying with the Text Books ... it frightens me what I see at times.

Nigel
Old 10-30-2017, 07:03 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

A good education can still be had even here in the US.

My daughter graduated from George Mason University in Fairfax VA in 2015 with a degree in Communicaitons, works for the City of Newport News VA now and does most of their public information. Just wrote an 18 page speech for the mayor and got promoted to her own office in city hall.

My youngest is studying Meteorology at VA Tech and will most likely end up flying Jets for the US Air Force for a few years, and if that doesn't work out, well Weather Forecasters are always in demand.

Some of these kids though will find in very hard to get jobs and make in life with degrees in things like life studies, popular culture, floral arranging and silly stuff such as that.

Quick Reply: Getting sick of this forum

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12177 seconds with 15 queries