Support & Suggestions If you need tech support post your question here or site suggestions too.

Getting sick of this forum

Old 10-30-2017, 07:24 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

You can get good education anywhere in the world - if you search and often pay for it.

What I find interesting is having an Office in UAE and having worked in Saudi - that one of the most sought after are the Schools offering the old traditional 3 R's style English curriculum. My Business partner in fact couldn't get a place for his son - fully booked up for years to come !

Nigel
Old 10-30-2017, 09:26 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Chellie,

Lmao !
I am so Bad LOL Hey, You Got to Have Fun, Thats what its all about.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:32 PM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

What do they call the Hippies of the 60's today?

DNC Democratic National Committee

Sorry Nigel I left you out. Your answer is the Labour Party.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:50 PM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

On a serious note I do not share the same opinion as the OP. Traffic here has slowed down in the 4 years I have been around. No denying it. That has nothing to do with the site as much as it has to do with falling memberships you see around the country. Hobby Shops and even large Internet Suppliers are going bankrupt. The hobby is dying along with the Forum.

What new interest is out there is plain and simple Drones and no wonder because of the technology. 35 and younger folks do not want to bother with assembly, learning how to fly, or even fly with a transmitter. Nope they want to open the box, download an app on their cell phone, and fly right now. Drone crowd has NO Welcome Sign here on this forum because it is geared toward Electric Planes.

So IMO I just think some of the bickering is just more noticeable than it was before when it was busy. Watt Flyer is a niche forum IMHO geared to electric planes. Both Electric and Gas planes membership is falling and dieing as a result of technology. Very little technology used with stick and rudder.

To the owners I would say it is time for a Face Lift and different direction. If not turn out the lights, the party is over.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:51 PM
formontoya

come on now...if this turns political then the car has slid off into the ditch.

religion and politics turns things south with a quickness.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:41 PM
Don Sims
Administrator

Generally WF forum members take care of issues in threads and frankly there is little to no need for moderation on this site. If we ban someone for TOS issues we do so behind the scenes and rarely make the ban permanent.

The hassle of uploading photos has hurt, ARF's, not being allowed to market the site, Quads, FB, and a host of other things mentioned has put the hurt on us.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:46 PM
birdDog
Charging....

Wattflyers heyday was brought about by the new "mysterious" technology of lipos and brushless systems. Also a bit by 2.4gHz radios. Heck, back then a wattmeter was an elite tool, and pretty danged pricey. People were balancing with Blinkys and garages were burning! Now that most of those questions have been answered and power systems worked out, for the most part, it's only logical that traffic should subside.

But hey. CHELLIES BACK!!!!! HI CHELLIE!

(She suggested my first 1kw system. She's awesome.)
Old 10-30-2017, 11:40 PM
Panther
Super Contributor

Yes, she has been gone a loooooong time. Welcome back mate. I always enjoyed your posts.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:35 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

The Hobby is not dieing - its just changing direction and sales are more and more online.

WF has a great value today - but admittedly it trends towards a niche of the hobby. RCG covers just about all aspects of RC - so will weather any storm. But the character of the two are complete opposites.

We have our 'characters' - we have our moments. But as Don says we tend to sort ourselves.

Back to original though - I don't want to see anyone leave if we can fix the cause. I want 'Hays' to stay. Simple.

Nigel
Old 10-31-2017, 10:10 AM
hillbille
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
Yeah I am building a 12ft Foxbat sailplane. I will eventually trudge through downsizing all the pics and post them here.

Here is one half of the wing!

Bill, I feel your pain bud. I suggest you look into FastStone Photo Resizer - here:
http://www.faststone.org/

These people make several image handling programs - all FREE. The best part about resizer is it is able to do BATCH mode and get a bunch of photos resized all at one time and place them into a separate folder - while NOT modifying the original files at all. Heck it will even read some .CR2 files! Files go from MB to KB in short order!

May not be your cup of tea, but you might want to at least look at what this little program will do.

Hillbille
Old 10-31-2017, 10:33 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Very easy to use program Billie. Thanks for posting it! It's a sad state of affairs when I can't post photos on the site directly from my phone.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:12 PM
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

Originally Posted by hayofstacks View Post
Every time I post here, I have to walk away from 2 weeks minimum. I can't just talk about servo jitter, accidentally putting a prop on backwards or doing anything rc related without getting called out and harassed for several months. ...
Have you tried using the ignore list? Works like a charm
E.g.
wattflyer.com/forums/profile.php?do=addlist&userlist=ignore&u=148
Old 10-31-2017, 06:45 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I personally dislike the ignore function because it doesn't solve a problem - it just hides it.

The perpetrator causing the upset gets ignored by the injured party. But everyone else still sees the perpetrators postings. Therefore becomes a one-sided unfair advantage to the perpetrator.

I think it better to report and have it dealt with quietly by moderators before it gets out of hand. Sorry to say this Don and the others - but it is Moderators job !

Nigel
Old 10-31-2017, 08:53 PM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Perhaps snowflakes should grow some skin.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:43 PM
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

I don't recall snow flakes needing any skin? Do you? Sure would make a mess in winter.

The real problem is people constantly being treated differently. I can guarantee that certain individuals who have given me a hard time in the past on this forum, wouldn't dare without both the anonymity of the internet and the people they are encouraged to hide behind. I am not a snow flake, I am not a pushover, I am not the sort of person who gets "harassed" or "flamed". As a matter of fact, this is my first real complaint (as evident of the mods having no idea I've been bothered, although I have been asked not to point it out by them before, after heavily editing my posts and threads).

I've been on this forum since roughly 2012, couldn't tell ya the exact date. I've been on several other forums since 2003. I very carefully read the rules to every forum I join. I also am very careful with how and what I post. I spend way more time helping newbies then I do hanging out with the regulars.

So far this is the only forum I've had administrators pm me asking me to ignore the trolls. Several times I've been asked to stop feeding the trolls and just leave then alone so they get bored. Ive actually been threatened to be banned twice on here for daring to call out people who were bugging me. I've never had a complaint or a ban worthy offense anywhere else.

Guess the correct thing to do is just report every post until someone goes away. Easier to just ignore the problem then to fix it, and allow the forum to prosper instead of shrink.

Just lock the thread after letting everyone post whatever they want, edit out the name calling and cussing, and no one will have a problem. Pretty obvious by the lack of posts and interaction in this thread.

To be honest, with the way this forum sits, I couldn't care less if I am a part of it. I still fly airplanes, I still look at hobby king. I used to like to spend time here on windy days or days when I was stuck away from home or my planes. I am happier without certain people on this forum then I am with them.

Can't go any further then that without it becoming personal (or getting my post heavy edited or deleted by an admin, Although if probably will anyways.). There are good people here who I will miss. Just to bad all the good gets over shadowed so easily.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:25 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by birdDog View Post
Wattflyers heyday was brought about by the new "mysterious" technology of lipos and brushless systems. Also a bit by 2.4gHz radios. Heck, back then a wattmeter was an elite tool, and pretty danged pricey. People were balancing with Blinkys and garages were burning! Now that most of those questions have been answered and power systems worked out, for the most part, it's only logical that traffic should subside.

But hey. CHELLIES BACK!!!!! HI CHELLIE!

(She suggested my first 1kw system. She's awesome.)
Hi BirdDog
Old 11-19-2017, 11:27 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Panther View Post
Yes, she has been gone a loooooong time. Welcome back mate. I always enjoyed your posts.
Hi Panther
Old 11-20-2017, 01:49 AM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Not being racist or anything - but a report was out recently that showed USA Illiteracy to be in the top league -

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-...who-can-t-read

I know all countries incl. UK have a sizeable number in the population that are below basic literacy levels - which really given todays communications etc. is appalling.

Nigel
Nigel it is real simple. Uneducated or Politically Correct people are easy to control and rule over. Real simple, those folks do not know they are idiots. They believe all that crap they were taught. When I retired the first time in 2003 at age 45. I taught Trigonometry to electrical students at a local college. 32 students in my class. On day one I took all there calculators away from them, and gave them a simple My Dear Aunt Sally test of 15 questions with a 15 minute time limit. It was a simple test that should have taken 5 minutes or less. Only one student passed and he got all 15 problems solved in about 5 minutes. None of the others passed or even got close to answering all 15 questions.

It got me wondering what was going on. Why only 1 student could do math. Then about two weeks later I got my answer. The one student that passed, went to a private school for his Jr and High School. He tested out of my class.

Last edited by dereckbc; 11-20-2017 at 02:09 AM.