Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

GWS Slow Stick - WHY its a great first.

Old 07-27-2007, 10:22 PM
michaeljvdh

Default GWS Slow Stick - WHY its a great first.

Its provides the ability to take off from land or hand.
See what ive done as an absolute beginner, and lets chat. On my second flight I was inverted, looping etc ... I have some advice for starters ... check my site ... www.hereitis.co.za come back and chat.

Last edited by michaeljvdh; 12-07-2008 at 05:20 AM. Reason: web link fixed
Old 07-28-2007, 03:35 AM
John Canfield

Thumbs up

Couldn't agree more ! I've had 30 or 40 great flights with my stick and haven't even damaged the plane. I am careful to pick my wind - none to 5 mph.

I was totally frustrated with two other Park Zone planes but the SS has really been a load of fun. With a 3S LiPo and a brushless motor, the plane is not slow. When I want to dawdle around, I fly with a 2S pack.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:04 AM
michaeljvdh

Default Awesome ....

Thats good to hear, I did my first video today ... my new BL motor & 3s LiPO was awesome ... except ... I tried to pull out of a large loop too late .... CRAAAAASH ... folded my plane in half ... busy with the wrekage now ... BUT I wont hesistate to buy another ... im off for spares.

This is one of the reasons its a great plane, accidents dont break the bank.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:40 PM
John Canfield

Ouch! I don't think the plane was designed to fly with that much power and when I have the 3S pack strapped on, I try to take the loops as gently as possible. I have fun with full power going vertical, and use full power for takeoffs, but all other times I'm at about half throttle.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:50 PM
michaeljvdh

Default The Power's a tad much

Yes ... the 11.v & 400 BL motor ... over 50% throttle makes my wings wobble like they are going to rip off. My Stick is modified, I have added a balsa stiffner down the centre spine join. Mad a nice difference. Its a pitty they dont release a solid wing slow stick, same size just with a wing that can handle the throws with 11.1v ... and then rename is SPEED STICK.

What radio are u using ...
Old 07-28-2007, 09:59 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Hi MJ,

Have you seen the Slow Stick X? It looks like it may be what you are looking for.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:05 PM
michaeljvdh

Default Soooooooper

Yeah .. that looks great ... do you have one ...or a slow stick.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:14 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

I have a Great Planes Yard Stik. Great flyer but not very aerobatic.

I will have to do some checking around but there is a regular here at Wattflyer building the SSX.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:41 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Murocflyer is the regular I was thinking of and I guess it's the Stevens Aero modified stik that he has flown.

Here is a link to a thread on ailerons for the SS.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:35 PM
TLyttle
Super Contributor

I have a GWS J3Stick, and it was okay until I installed polyhedral about 2/3 of the way out the wing. NOW, it turns on a dime, flies dead straight with no wander, lots of fun. I regularly thermal it out of my back yard, so I get some very long flights indeed.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:27 AM
John Canfield

Originally Posted by michaeljvdh View Post
Yes ... the 11.v & 400 BL motor ... over 50% throttle makes my wings wobble like they are going to rip off. My Stick is modified, I have added a balsa stiffner down the centre spine join. Mad a nice difference. Its a pitty they dont release a solid wing slow stick, same size just with a wing that can handle the throws with 11.1v ... and then rename is SPEED STICK.

What radio are u using ...
JR SX600. It's an okay entry-level computer radio and was reasonably priced. It will work fine until I upgrade to 2.4 Gig sometime in the future.

I think I am ready for ailerons so I have a Stevens Aero Stik kit waiting for me to assemble it. I'll take the receiver/ESC/motor from the SS and use them to finish the Stik. I'm thinking about using the GWS geared motor and NiMh batteries (and ESC) I started with and using them for aerial photography with my original SS.

Just finished making a camera holder for my SS and tested it on the ground, but too windy to fly today :-( (The cam is a 1.3 Mpixel Oregon Scientific camera on close-out sale for about $30.) I'm using an HS-55 servo to mechanically trigger the shutter.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:29 AM
michaeljvdh

Default Sounds Great John

Im keen on the photography thing too,got any pictures on how you mounted it ... I suppose balancing to your CG is the only requirement and a bit of realistic aerodynamic thought about cam position.

Any reason you not using LiPO instead.

Im using the Spektrum DX6 with the AR6000 receiver ... AWESOME radio,on the fly trimming is a breeze, and great solid stick feel to it.

Nice Radio ... cost a bit didnt really want it ... try to save money ...but luckily I was convinced by someone ... since now I dont have to worry about multiple radio's ...
Old 07-30-2007, 01:03 AM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

Yes, the Slow Stick is awesome. It doesn't need all that extra junk either... just build it stock and learn to fly it that way... I put a brushless on mine, and I can't actually use the extra power... if you go to 100% throttle on it, you can't fly it anymore. And don't get me started on the issue with thrust vectoring. You don't need that either.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:14 AM
John Canfield

Im keen on the photography thing too,got any pictures on how you mounted it ... I suppose balancing to your CG is the only requirement and a bit of realistic aerodynamic thought about cam position.

Any reason you not using LiPO instead.
--snip--
Pictures of my AP setup in my photo gallery:
http://gallery.janeandjohn.org/main....avId=x51af965b

I flew my AP setup for the first time this morning and COG or power wasn't even a minor issue with the three cell LiPo. I couldn't tell any difference, but I really didn't put it through my usual gyrations. Most of the pictures were blurry, but I suspect that is due to my technique - I need to option the ESC for prop braking and pull the throttle down before I snap the picture. BTW - I have the shutter servo set up for the landing gear channel and that seemed to work okay.

I'm currently using two and three cell LiPo's ... two cell when I'm a little rusty or want it to float around, and three to make it zing

I am planning on regressing to the original GWS 400 brushed/geared motor and the NiMh ESC on the current SS when I get the Stevens Aero Stik flying. Hopefully that will work okay for my AP setup.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:25 AM
TLyttle
Super Contributor

Right on, jasmine. All this hitek stuff in a definitely lotek airplane makes no sense to me: it's like jamming a Mercedes engine into a Chevette; why???
Old 07-30-2007, 06:14 AM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
Right on, jasmine. All this hitek stuff in a definitely lotek airplane makes no sense to me: it's like jamming a Mercedes engine into a Chevette; why???
A nice Chevelle is way faster than any Mercedes anyway... but I'm a rotary lover so I won't even talk about it

The Slow Stick does leave you wanting a little more sometimes, but you get that with a plane designed for higher performance from the ground up... or by redesigning the Slow Stick... which I will probably do at some point. I like the backwards SS with the pusher/canard design... it's on the other forum site. Looks nice and graceful, and has ailerons, so maybe you could roll it and stuff. I don't know... I have the Stryker for that. It's designed for higher speed and more aerobatic flight, and I think it's a plane that can definitely handle more power than the stock setup.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:03 AM
michaeljvdh

Default Jasmine ...

Im with you on the power thing, I reckon even a brushless 370 instead 400 hundred is plenty power.

I only use 100% throttle in verticle climbs ... even in this instance of power, one has to watch those wing tips for signs of stress. On a straight my SS turns into Batman with fluttering cape .

Next im adding Aileron control, and workin on re-inforcing the wings a bit, to ensure they dont collapse in tight turns. But we have to respect that the wing is just meat packaging.

My adjustments have actually conjured up a some amazing potential for the SS but ultimately I do prefer the slow take off/landings with ultrasmooth scale like mimic. I think I might move my BL400 into my new E-starter and pop in a 370BL instead ... thats enough power for what its capable of.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:10 AM
michaeljvdh

Default GWS 400 - Trouble

Originally Posted by John Canfield View Post
Pictures of my AP setup in my photo gallery:
http://gallery.janeandjohn.org/main....avId=x51af965b

I flew my AP setup for the first time this morning and COG or power wasn't even a minor issue with the three cell LiPo. I couldn't tell any difference, but I really didn't put it through my usual gyrations. Most of the pictures were blurry, but I suspect that is due to my technique - I need to option the ESC for prop braking and pull the throttle down before I snap the picture. BTW - I have the shutter servo set up for the landing gear channel and that seemed to work okay.

I'm currently using two and three cell LiPo's ... two cell when I'm a little rusty or want it to float around, and three to make it zing

I am planning on regressing to the original GWS 400 brushed/geared motor and the NiMh ESC on the current SS when I get the Stevens Aero Stik flying. Hopefully that will work okay for my AP setup.
I found the 400 to get me into trouble sometimes, if need some boost to correct or quickly gain altitude before hitting a tree ... the BL motor was needed. The only problem I found with the BL setups is the dang costs.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:05 PM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

Im with you on the power thing, I reckon even a brushless 370 instead 400 hundred is plenty power.

I only use 100% throttle in verticle climbs ... even in this instance of power, one has to watch those wing tips for signs of stress. On a straight my SS turns into Batman with fluttering cape .

Next im adding Aileron control, and workin on re-inforcing the wings a bit, to ensure they dont collapse in tight turns. But we have to respect that the wing is just meat packaging.

My adjustments have actually conjured up a some amazing potential for the SS but ultimately I do prefer the slow take off/landings with ultrasmooth scale like mimic. I think I might move my BL400 into my new E-starter and pop in a 370BL instead ... thats enough power for what its capable of.
I might try shimming the wing at some point and that should give it a little better control at higher speed. The angle of the wing is pretty high off the thrust line, and with that high-lift wing, it doesn't need that.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:25 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Heres my pile of fun! This is about as far as you can take one, 400-450outies(480 e-flite brushed that I used on my 7' 5 1/2 pound glider,)8cellnicads,2-3&4 cell lipos, dowel stiff'in'ers,ETC, she a test-bed for most my stuff, I'll add info if anyone's interested, ya'll's bub, stevecooper
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 719.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	296.8 KB
ID:	36846   Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 721.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	285.3 KB
ID:	36849   Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 722.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	213.1 KB
ID:	36850   Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 663.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	264.5 KB
ID:	36851   Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 710.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	230.2 KB
ID:	36852  

Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 485.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	36853   Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 496.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	240.3 KB
ID:	36854   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 093.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	36859   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 094.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	296.8 KB
ID:	36861  
Old 07-30-2007, 06:36 PM
Tinman
The Hot dog man

I think the slow stick is a great first airplane! I've had load of fun with them. I have a green, red, and just got a brown one for spare parts
Old 07-30-2007, 06:40 PM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
I think the slow stick is a great first airplane! I've had load of fun with them. I have a green, red, and just got a brown one for spare parts
Where are you people getting the alternate colors? I would kill for a blue or green one!
Old 07-30-2007, 06:42 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Default I want a green one!!

Where do you get yours? ( I want a green one!!) your bub, stevecooper
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 272.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	36865   Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 736.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	256.6 KB
ID:	36866   Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 432.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	36867  
Old 07-30-2007, 08:39 PM
Tinman
The Hot dog man

They don't make blue It shows a blue one on the box but they don't manufacture them.

I get them at www.allerc.com

The brown one actually looks tan, its pretty good looking. I'm going to put British stickers on it that I have left over from a Spitfire.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:17 AM
TLyttle
Super Contributor

Chevelle faster than a Mercedes? Jasmine, please send me some of that stuff... Take a trip down the Autobahn, the tell me that again. I have a fond memory of a US military guy with his superzoot Chevelle hauling down the Autobahn, wallowing and dancing, with a row of various VW Golfs, Opels, Mercedes station wagons, and (ulp) Porsches, all flashing their lights for that... thing... to get out of the way. Oooooohh.

And a light spray of foam-friendly paint will give you any colour you like for your GWS Stick!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.24139 seconds with 25 queries