Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

GWS Slow Stick - WHY its a great first.

Old 07-31-2007, 03:51 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

TLyttle::Re'mines me of why the Brits don't make T.V.'s ( could'nt figger out how to make em leak oil) and foam safe Krylon H,2.O spray's the hot set-up, or you can go my young freind's way! your bub, stevecooper
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 117.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	36913   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 093.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	36914   Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 506.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	36915  
Old 07-31-2007, 05:54 AM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
Chevelle faster than a Mercedes? Jasmine, please send me some of that stuff... Take a trip down the Autobahn, the tell me that again. I have a fond memory of a US military guy with his superzoot Chevelle hauling down the Autobahn, wallowing and dancing, with a row of various VW Golfs, Opels, Mercedes station wagons, and (ulp) Porsches, all flashing their lights for that... thing... to get out of the way. Oooooohh.

And a light spray of foam-friendly paint will give you any colour you like for your GWS Stick!
I'm not really a muscle car fan, it was a joke. I would like to know more about this foam-friendly paint though... I need to paint a Stryker some other color than "sky color" - it's pretty hard to see
Old 07-31-2007, 05:23 PM
TLyttle
Super Contributor

stevecooper is right with his recommendation of Krylon foam-friendly paints. Lots of places sell it, usually hardware stores etc. Pick a colour!
Old 07-31-2007, 05:52 PM
Tinman
The Hot dog man

Testors makes some foam safe paint.I think its called H2O paint.

Heard it works good
Old 07-31-2007, 07:17 PM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
Testors makes some foam safe paint.I think its called H2O paint.

Heard it works good
Oh that makes sense... water-based stuff
I've got some of that sitting around somewhere because I liked the rustic look that it gave my ships, when I was building ships.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:58 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

The H2O is a Krylon brand. On this one I used water based polyurethane for a base. Helps the H2O latex stick to the foam.

Name:	ARF.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	36978  

Last edited by smokejohnson; 07-31-2007 at 11:01 PM. Reason: post a pic of my H2O plane
Old 07-31-2007, 11:35 PM
Tinman
The Hot dog man

I like your e-starter smoke........ looks great!
Old 07-31-2007, 11:55 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Thanks, it flies pretty good. It's heavy for an E Starter so it's no floater. It's the perfect warbird trainer .
Old 08-01-2007, 01:03 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

A bub of mine oop's'ed the old SS but I'm ready! Gonna paint the new wings an tail in the morn'in, think'in bout bo'vines & Zebba's to blend in the Herd better, ya'lls bub, stevecooper

Name:	petty an red 126.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	36994   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 128.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	36995   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 081.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	266.4 KB
ID:	36996  
Old 08-01-2007, 03:54 AM
chaz345

The only drawback to the SS as a first plane is it's wind tolerance, or more accurately complete lack thereof. I realize that any slow "floaty" beginner friendly plane is not going to be great in the wind, but the SS takes that to an extreme. I have seen a clipped wing SS, with heavier NiMh batteries that did pretty good in the wind, but it really wasn't a SS anymore.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:40 PM
michaeljvdh

Default Flopppy Flier Blues

Originally Posted by chaz345 View Post
The only drawback to the SS as a first plane is it's wind tolerance, or more accurately complete lack thereof. I realize that any slow "floaty" beginner friendly plane is not going to be great in the wind, but the SS takes that to an extreme. I have seen a clipped wing SS, with heavier NiMh batteries that did pretty good in the wind, but it really wasn't a SS anymore.
Dude, I hear you. The proplem I found with it ... is the pitching in throttle power provides the opportunity for the air to get trapped in the wing ends, If you dropp the nose concord style, the sligh down pull keeps the wing down and pulls through the air better. I have actually gut the boom in two, I kept the back half with the tail piece, and then fashion the front out of U tube alluminium, increasing the shoulder and nose area by about 36grams, with an 11.1v LiPO it really give the front some bully power.

But overall the wing is designed more to trap wing that to cut it. But hey it was meant for grace ... still a great trainer ... especially with Ailerons.

Treat it with a vintage attitude, and you will remain in love.