Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

hotrodding the E-flite Valiant 1.3M

Old 03-04-2017, 03:30 PM
d0uglas

Default hotrodding the E-flite Valiant 1.3M

Hey fellas. So the E-flite Valiant 1.3M is a fine acrobatic plane. Sporting just a 30A-35A ESC (from the Apprentice) and a Park 480 910kv 250W it can, with a "flying weight" of 1135g/40oz, squeeze out a hover for the ESC's burst duration and sustain vertical speed for about that long as well. Which is good enough for most folks, no one's talking about upgrading that I can find. However I'm now a float flyer, and I also like to haul a 50g camera, so that puts me out of business for gaining or sustaining vertical speed or even climbing that fast.

I don't know the motor mount screw spacing of this plane (hopefully the same as the Timber and Apprentice, 25mm) but let's put that aside for now. The Leopard 960kv 3536/8T which HeadsUp sells for $27 is the same diameter as the Park 480, it can stomach 470W, it's just 3mm longer, a mere 12g heavier, and according to HeadsUp's testing (which I trust) it can push 64oz / 1814g on a three cell at a modest 26A / 304W with a 12x6. And the price is right.

If I manage to mount it and wattmeter it out to make sure I'm not exceeding the ESC's 35A burst either by swapping props or limiting the throttle travel as needed, does it sound like this puppy could give me what I crave with floats and the camera (not to mention wheels and no camera) even without changing the ESC or using a four cell? I can live without the cowl if necessary, and I can also put in a beefier ESC if 30A is cutting it close.

Doug

Last edited by d0uglas; 03-04-2017 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:50 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi the park 480 910kv is a great motor and it can be pushed quite a bit, because of the lower motors KV, use a 4 cell lipo, 60 amp esc with a ubec, turnigy makes a nice 60 amp esc, use a smaller prop like about a 11 x 5 and check your watts and amps, you should have no problem pulling 40+ amps with that motor, and you will get a ton of power from it, just dont stay on the throttle full time and your plane will leap up into the air I always hot rod my motors and planes I love having a 2 to 1 power ratio.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:29 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

What Chellie said. She's the best!
Old 03-05-2017, 04:57 AM
birdDog
Charging....

Chellie! \o/
Old 03-05-2017, 09:53 PM
d0uglas

Thanks Chellie, I happen to have a 60A ESC and a couple four cells to try this with. Didn't cross my mind as an option. I'll go easy on the throttle...

Doug
Old 03-06-2017, 12:52 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
What Chellie said. She's the best!
Originally Posted by birdDog View Post
Chellie! \o/
Hi Hawk Hi Birddog Nice hearing from you Guys Hope everything is going good for you Guys, Take care and Stay Sweet , Chellie
Old 03-06-2017, 12:54 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by d0uglas View Post
Thanks Chellie, I happen to have a 60A ESC and a couple four cells to try this with. Didn't cross my mind as an option. I'll go easy on the throttle...

Doug
Hi Doug I think your going to like the extra Power from a 4 cell you got to use a little smaller prop than with a 3 cell to keep the amps down, but you will get a lot more power, Take care and have fun, Chellie