Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Foamie painting trick - using cling wrap

Old 02-14-2015, 05:01 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Default Foamie painting trick - using cling wrap

I don't know how widely known this might be, or how well it will work for others, but ... I was doing a rebuild of my Tower Hobbies P-51 (you'll find the thread here.)

I was stumped on how best to paint the cockpit canopy, so I went to my local hobby store and talked to the guy there who seems to know about painting models and such. He recommended against using a brush, saying it would probably come out streaky. We talked about masking the canopy off but the problem is the foam. If I put masking tape on the painted foam, itíll almost certainly pull the paint off when I remove the tape. He had no ideas.

Then, as I was leaving, he said, ďWell, you know, you could try cling wrap. Iíve heard of some guys using that, if you think it will cling well enough.Ē

I decided to give it a try, at the risk of having to strip all the paint and start over again on that piece.

What I had on hand was Glad Press'n Seal. I cut it into strips an inch or two wide and pressed it in place.

Here I encountered the biggest problem: since the film is more-or-less transparent, itís darned hard to see where you have and havenít applied it.

However, when I peeled everything off I was delighted at how well it had worked. The Press'n Seal didnít harm the paint at all, and yet masked off the foam really well. There were no leaks or runs.

There are a couple of spots that will require touch-up, due to the aforementioned difficulty of telling exactly where the transparent film was but, overall, Iím really happy with how this came out. Iíll definitely be adding it to my toolkit.

Old 02-14-2015, 05:32 AM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a try on the Pilatus floats that finally arrived.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:18 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Now why didn't I think of that ?

So many times I have surfaces that masking film doesn't stick well to and end up with runs / leaks under .... or as said - it pulls of existing paint.

Nigel
Old 02-14-2015, 10:22 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

The cling wrap may also be good for covering clear plastic to prevent paint fume issues. I recently had to buff out the plastic a bit on a model, to remove a reaction that the paint bomb's thinner must have caused. The perimeter of the glass was taped, but I used gloss paper to cover the rest, and the thinner fumes got through. They didn't get through the taped portion, but I would bet that a layer of the cling wrap under the paper would have prevented it. From now on I will at least tape the entire windshield, and not try to save tape.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:10 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

I will try the cling wrap the next time I need to paint a canopy. The curves make every thing else a pain.

I have used common shelf paper to mask off a racing boat I built. It worked great, and it is not real sticky, but sealed perfectly at the edges of my design. I did rub down the perimeter of the cutout before I painted, but I didn't rub the remainder down any harder than necessary to make it stick in place.

A brand new #11 blade and a light touch was all that was needed to cut out the pattern.
It's like having 18" wide masking tape.

The super cool trick with shelf paper, is if you have access to a paper cutting machine like the Cricut that my wife has, you can cut complicated patterns in matching left and right sides. After weeding out what you want to paint, you put another layer on top before you peel it from the backing. The top layer (called frisket) holds everything in place while you transfer the design to the plane, then rub the edges of the design, then slowly peel the top layer off. Careful it might pull some small parts loose. I like to use the clear stuff so you can see what you are doing better.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:28 PM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

I'll be interested to hear what everyone else's experience is, whether it matters which cling wrap you use, etc.