3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

UltraFly's Outrage

Old 07-31-2006, 03:16 PM
Solid Hit
Just call me ... Bill

Default UltraFly's Outrage

I'm not a 3D flier but more of a sport flier. Never the less I came across an UltraFly Outrage for a good price and, having an affinity for bipes, I bought it and built it over this past week. I installed the recommended motor - a B/06, an APC 10x7 slow flier prop, and used a 2s1350 lipo.

All controls were set to dead neutral and I took her up this morning while the air was very still. I'm not the greatest builder in the world and all my planes need some adjustment on the maiden flight. Not this one. (I had it set up for lower rates of 65% on aileron, elevator, and rudder.) I powered it down the runway with full throttle and with no input on the rudder. At about 30' it lifted off and gently and continued on course. I throttled back to about 60% and it leveled out. I only flew for about 5 or 6 minutes doing some easy turns and waiting for a stall or snap roll but nothing happened.

Landing was just as uneventful. Once I set it up, it just glided in and at about 1' off the runway, I flared it out and she was on the ground.

I would recommend this plane to any sport flier or as a 3D trainner. I can imagine how full rates and a 3s lipo would change her into the 3D plane she is supposed to be.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:41 PM
av8torjim

Bill,

My assessment is the same as yours. I had not flown solo for 18 years. I had worked for a few hours on the Aerofly Professional Deluxe simulator and had one buddy box flight on a Mini Ultra Stick when I decided to solo the Outrage for its maiden flight. I had absolutely no trouble taking off and flying around the field. I made a few low passes and landed it easily. It's a great flying plane. I flew two more flights that evening before tragedy struck. I had had difficultly getting the center pylons halves to stick together with Great Planes Foam Safe CA, but they eventually stuck. Unfortunately, during my third flight, I cranked in the high rates and did a few rolls. I was only flying at about 30 feet and was starting to lose altitude, so I leveled the wings and pulled into a loop. The center pylon let go of the wing and I lost all aileron control. She went straight in from about 30 feet. The top wing was ripped in half (the CF didn't break though), the struts were ripped out of the top wing and the firewall was pushed back through the foam that held it from the rear. The rest of the plane was unscathed. I am still in the Ultrafly warranty period and am awaiting a response on a total loss claim. Since I can't fix the firewall and all the other parts are glued to the fuselage, I assume they will replace the entire plane. I intend to change glues (bought some Foamhesive from Billy Hell) and to somehow reinforce the center pylon to top wing joint. But, having said that, I am enthusiastically awaiting getting her back in the air. It's a great flier.

By the way, I'm using the Ultrafly Frio E/10/10 with a Electifly Silver Series 12 amp ESC (not enough) and a TP 910 mAh 3S LiPo with an APC 9x6 E prop. It had plenty of power.

Jim
Old 08-01-2006, 03:16 AM
B.L.E.
multi-hundredaire

I picked one up when one of our local hobby shops had a going out of business sale. The assembly instructions were scetchy at best. I powered mine with an e-flite park 370 1080 Kv outrunner and 900 mAh 3 cell li-po. I use a APC 8 x 3.7 prop which draws about 90-100 watts of power. At this power, the plane will fly straight up. I timed one of my flights and it flew 16 minutes to esc cutoff while flying normally, i.e. I wasn't flying extra slow to maximize duration.

The plane has a lot of yaw-roll coupling and yaw-pitch coupling. A little rudder to aileron and rudder to elevator mix helps make flat turns, knife edge, and slow rolls easier to do. Oh well, they never claimed that it was a pattern plane.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:36 AM
Solid Hit
Just call me ... Bill

BLE, what % did you use in your mixes?
Old 08-01-2006, 05:24 AM
B.L.E.
multi-hundredaire

Solid Hit, I'm mixing 30% rudder to aileron and 28% rudder to up elevator at the moment. It's not perfect but it's close enough for me. You may choose to do additional fine tuning.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:07 PM
Solid Hit
Just call me ... Bill

Thanks BLE.

I flew the Rage again this morning and after turning on my system noticed that my rudder was not working. I'm using a Berg rx and this is the 3rd one that this has happened to. They work on the bench but as soon as I put it into the plane and hook up the motor, channel 4 dies. (I'll leave this for another thread).

Anyway, I flew on 3 channels and yesterday was no fluke. When I leveled her out I switched to full rates and went inverted from a loop then tried a few aileron only snap rolls. All went wonderfully. I would have loved trying a little knife edge but that's impossible without rudder.

It was about 7:15 and the sun was starting to enter my air space so I brought her in for another uneventful landing. This may become my "go to" plane". I really think that if I had to limit myself (heaven forbid) to just 2 planes, it would be the Slow Stick and the Outrage!
Old 08-02-2006, 04:15 PM
L0stS0ul
Ship First, Improve Often

A buddy of mine has the outrage and has been flying it for a season now. It's a nice plane. The instructions were seriously lacking especially when it comes to radio installation but there are some good reviews of the planes on RCGroups and RCUniverse that both show really good building and setup recommendations. I think he used those more than the manual.

for the power system he just swaped out the rimfire motor from one of this old flatouts and has been just using that power system. It's worked really well in it.

He had to reinforce the tail with carbon fiber though. Everything in the tail was just flopping around after about 20 flights or so. Once it was reinforced it's back to flying very tightly.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:56 PM
Solid Hit
Just call me ... Bill

[quote=L0stS0ul;92752

He had to reinforce the tail with carbon fiber though. Everything in the tail was just flopping around after about 20 flights or so. Once it was reinforced it's back to flying very tightly.[/quote]

That's a very good tip to stow away until needed.

I followed the review for building as well. The only real problem I had was that after the cabain was built, I noticed that the 2 halves of the fuse would not go together due to the extra with of the fiberglass stiffeners. I called UltraFly and they told me that I had to carve away at the sides of the fuse where the cabain fits. That seemed to me to be a serious molding error. I think what happened is that the fiberglass rods were an after thought and they were not going to retool for it. They should have included some kind of memo to that effect. Aside from that it went together well and flies like a dream.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:05 AM
av8torjim

Originally Posted by Solid Hit View Post
That's a very good tip to stow away until needed.

I followed the review for building as well. The only real problem I had was that after the cabain was built, I noticed that the 2 halves of the fuse would not go together due to the extra with of the fiberglass stiffeners. I called UltraFly and they told me that I had to carve away at the sides of the fuse where the cabain fits. That seemed to me to be a serious molding error. I think what happened is that the fiberglass rods were an after thought and they were not going to retool for it. They should have included some kind of memo to that effect. Aside from that it went together well and flies like a dream.
I noticed the same thing before I glued the center pylon together. I pressed the fiberglass rods into the foam so that only 1/2 of the rod stuck out from the foam. The foam compressed a little and recessed half of the rod. Doing that on both sides meant I didn't add any width to the pylon. I did the same thing with the CF supports I added to the outer struts. I agree that the instructions are weak. BTW, I received an e-mail from Hobbico today. They are sending me a complete new kit. Great warranty and prompt customer service.

Jim
Old 08-03-2006, 12:41 PM
Solid Hit
Just call me ... Bill

I have nothing but good things to say about UltraFly. Their products are reasonably priced and work very well.

I have an "A" series geared outrunner system whose motor gave out on me. I sent them just the motor and within a week of me sending it, an entire new system came via UPS.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:53 AM
B.L.E.
multi-hundredaire

Today I increased the amount of rudder to aileron mixing to 41%. Now I can knife edge my Outrage with very little right stick input, it has a slight tendency to roll on its back with top rudder so I guess it's a little over mixed for KE. It still wants to bank while doing a flat turn requiring a little opposite aileron to keep it level so I guess mixing has its limits.

I did some flying over the lake that I live near, taking off and landing on the grassy shore. Even when it's a little windy, the air coming off of the lake is silky smooth, especially right before sunset This plane is a blast to fly.