Delta & Flying Wings Discuss electric powered delta (flying wing) style aircraft here.

Going postal with a Superfly

Old 06-24-2008, 05:38 AM
HomeDaddy
post hole digger

Default Going postal with a Superfly

I recently added a Superfly to my fleet and after about half a dozen flights I can say that I like it a lot. It's not love yet but i'm trying.

As a relative newcomer to the hobby, I find the Superfly a bit challenging to fly but only because it does not fly itself. In other words, you have to pay attention! That being said, the Superfly is a great way to hone your skills without worrying a whole lot about crashing. Epp foam is a great thing! I've broken the motor mount and the nose off the thing and it still flies great (when I pay attention.)

Here's a few pics of my my unintentionally "postal" themed Superfly.

Cheers,

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P6230322.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	70327   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6230321.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	70328   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6230325.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	70329  
Old 06-24-2008, 05:50 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by HomeDaddy View Post
I recently added a Superfly to my fleet and after about half a dozen flights I can say that I like it a lot. It's not love yet but i'm trying.

As a relative newcomer to the hobby, I find the Superfly a bit challenging to fly but only because it does not fly itself. In other words, you have to pay attention! That being said, the Superfly is a great way to hone your skills without worrying a whole lot about crashing. Epp foam is a great thing! I've broken the motor mount and the nose off the thing and it still flies great (when I pay attention.)

Here's a few pics of my my unintentionally "postal" themed Superfly.

Cheers,

John
Hi John your right you have to stay on top of these deltas, no room for error, but like you said, they will make you a much better pilot in a very short time, after flying my hyberflea, my other planes were like flying a slow glider Take care, Chellie

BTW Nice paint Job
Old 06-24-2008, 11:02 AM
woolebugr
fighter of gravity

I am offended by that paint scheme

Seriously though, looks great! A Superfly was my first rc plane and like Chellie said, it does make you a better pilot.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:09 PM
Hughes500Bob
Full Scale Pilot

I have my Superflys setup for dual rates. When flying fast I set to low rate which is about 1/2 the desired control deflection. When I am slow and low (like trying to harrier and mess around it tight places) I switch to high rates. If I want to do lightning fast roles I just flip to high rates. This makes flying the Superfly much more comfortable. If you have the option of dual rates PLEASE learn how to use it as it will make flying more fun! My DX-7 has a dual rate switch in the upper right and it is real easy to keep a finger rested against the switch. Switch UP is high and DOWN is low. The DX-7 is programmed to use this switch for both Ail and Ele rates combined instead of seperate switches for each. It all depends on your Tx's options.

Nice Superfly John!
Old 06-24-2008, 03:36 PM
HomeDaddy
post hole digger

Originally Posted by woolebugr View Post
I am offended by that paint scheme

Seriously though, looks great! A Superfly was my first rc plane and like Chellie said, it does make you a better pilot.
I ran out of brown and gold.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:41 PM
HomeDaddy
post hole digger

Thanks for the encouragement and kudos folks. The paint job was done all with Krylon Fusion except for the logo. That was copied off the instructions with a sharpie. Now nobody asks me "what's that?

I am running dual rates at around 50% with a touch of expo. I really want to try a 3s lipo but I think a little more practice is in order before I take that leap...
Old 06-24-2008, 04:01 PM
Hughes500Bob
Full Scale Pilot

John, My 3S Superfly uses Thunder Power RC Pro Lite 1320mAh 11.1V 3 Cell Li Poly 3s and I get a good 10 minutes easy of spirited flight on a 8x4 prop. It will go vertical! Many still use the 8x6 prop with 3S ..... but it's harder on the motor.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:12 PM
HomeDaddy
post hole digger

Thanks for the tip. I know those Tower Pro motors run hot and can be a bit fragile. Don't ask me how I know.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:47 PM
Hughes500Bob
Full Scale Pilot

John,

Now that I have flown a 2S Superfly .... You are going to love the switch to 3S! Be ready for full vertical. I was not aware of the HUGE difference until I maidened my new 2S Superfly last night. My 3S machine is so much faster and definitly needs dual rates. You should wait until you can fly your 2S on full rates all the time before trying 3S ..... would be my advice!
Old 06-27-2008, 03:03 PM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Originally Posted by Hughes500Bob View Post
John,

Now that I have flown a 2S Superfly .... You are going to love the switch to 3S! Be ready for full vertical. I was not aware of the HUGE difference until I maidened my new 2S Superfly last night. My 3S machine is so much faster and definitly needs dual rates. You should wait until you can fly your 2S on full rates all the time before trying 3S ..... would be my advice!
I can second what was said above. A SF on 3s is the way to get after you are proficient on 2s. Loads of fun. You'll never look back.

Frank