FlatfoilZ Thread - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Airfoilz support forum Discuss Airfoilz products or ask for assistance on those products.

FlatfoilZ Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 05:56 PM
PinkYakRC
Team AirfoilZ

Default FlatfoilZ Thread

Airfoilz Flatfoilz

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intro

This is a newish line of airplanes from Airfoilz.

If you are familiar with the original Airfoilz planes; these are similar but they feature a profile fuselage.
They have a wing that uses a KF airfoil.
It it made by one piece of depron that is the main wing piece, then 2 other pieces stuck on each side to create a KFm4 airfoil.

Picture from DIY Drones

The plane I will be building is the Edge 540 supplied by 3DX Hobbies.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqztwMwSNZ8&feature=youtu.be[/media]----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Specs/Pics
Airfoilz has 3 planes available in this line. They have an Extra 300, an Edge 540 and a Stalker.

Extra 300: 38" Wingspan | 35.5" Long | 320sq" Wing Area | 16oz

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edge 540: 38" Wingspan | 35.5" Long | 320sq" Wing Area | 16oz

Stalker: 38" Wingspan | 35.5" Long | 320sq" Wing Area | 16oz

Pictures and specs thanks to 3DX Hobbies

This review will be copied to my own site,
Which can be found here.

With that, I am ready to start the build.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ffledge540.jpg
Views:	1866
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	157631  
Old 02-26-2012, 06:01 PM
PinkYakRC
Team AirfoilZ

Build
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Intro/Un-packaging
------------------------------------------------------------------------
My FlatFoilz Edge came in a plastic bag that had a cardboard backing and a stapled piece of paper holding it closed.

Inside you can see a packet of hardware and a few foam sheets in different thicknesses. There is a small piece of paper included that has a link to where you can find the manual. Also, it states that the kits are from the US. I think that is a bonus.

When I got my kit I noticed that one of the corners had been dropped. The foam was all squished, but each part is in the sheet with a boarder around all of it. With this boarder each piece came out in perfect condition.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The kit is very nice. It is made mostly from 6mm thick depron that is laser cut. The fuselage looks very nice with very pretty patterns along the whole side. The same goes for the wing.
It has a complete hardware package that includes a motor mount, assorted wood pieces, push-rods, and a sheet of plastic control horns and servo mounting pieces.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Removing all the pieces shows just how excellent this kit is. It features both 6 and 3mm thick pieces of foam. The parts count is higher that that of a "standard" profile foam plane, but this plane is a lot more than that.

Fuselage

To start the build, first look up the manual at airfoilz.com/manuals/flatfoilz.pdf and from the first step the manual is notably high quality.
First off, I built the fuselage.
It consists of 3 pieces of foam that are all glued together to create a foam sandwich. In the middle is a very beefy carbon tube to strengthen the whole thing. Sorry I don't have a picture of that.
I glued the whole thing together with 15 minute epoxy that was thinned with a splash of rubbing alcohol. Then it is topped with weights and left to dry. I used 6-cell batteries and a blender.

The next step is to glue on the final two fuselage pieces. They strengthen the motor mount area and are glued on with foam safe CA, or epoxy if you would like. The next step is to sand the entire piece down to make a rounded shape. I used 220 grit sand paper. What you are left with is a very nice part that is very strong.

To wrap up the fuse build, I cut a strip of the balsa wood to put along the hinge line of the rudder and beveled the edges. Then I cut out the strip of foam so that the elevator can slide into place. Next I sanded the rudder down and beveled the edge so it was ready to be hinged. This finished up the fuselage assembly for now.

Wing

I found the wing build to be almost the exact same build as the fuse. It has a 6mm piece that is sandwiched between two 3mm pieces and it has a beefy carbon tube in the middle. The manual explains it well and you should have no problem with it. I glued it together the same way as the fuse, 15 minute epoxy thinned with rubbing alcohol. The part that takes a little extra time is sanding the front of the wing to shape. I first make a 45 degree cut on both sides then sanded it the rest of the way into a nice airfoil shape. Be sure not to hinge the ailerons yet.

Elevator
The elevator assembly is not very hard. The most difficult part is the hinging.
To start out, you glue the elevator joiner in to place. It is a good sized carbon tube. Once it is glued in with CA it is time to move onto the horizontal stab. A balsa wood stick is first glued on to strengthen it and the edges have to be beveled. Then you do the same thing on the elevator and they are ready to be hinged. Follow the hinging instructions in the manual. It took me 8 pieces of tape to complete. I used Scotch Extreme tape.

Paint
The next thing to do is paint the pieces. If you don't want to get your hands dirty, the kit comes with some decals.

This is the end of the first day of building. Everything looks good so far.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:02 PM
PinkYakRC
Team AirfoilZ

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Elevator/Wing Install
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once the painting was finished, I glued in the wing and the elevator. The wing slid into the slot, and the elevator slid in from the back.
I put the plane up against the corner of my table to keep the wing strait. I also took an 'L' shaped ruler and made sure the wing was square. I glued it into place with CA and epoxy.
The elevator is above the wing line, so I propped it up on a small box to keep it square while I glued it into place. There are weights on the wing to keep it steady.

Servo Install

On the FlatFoilZ planes the servos are screwed to some plastic plates that you glue in. The elevator and rudder servos were pretty shot and I did not plan to use them again; so I CAed them into place. The aileron servos I screwed into place with 2 wood screws I had lying around.
Elevator/Rudder Servos: HS65MG
Aileron Servos: HS-55MG
As for the servo wires, I glued the elev/rudd servo wires into place. For the ailerons, the wings have a little channel in them that you can stick the servo wire in.

Hinging

The following step involves hinging the rudder and ailerons. The elevator we hinged before, and this is basically the same thing.
Just follow the hinging instructions in the manual, the hinges will work very well. To start off the rudder/ailerons have to beveled. I used an X-Acto knife and a ruler.
For the rudder I made 3 hinges. On the ailerons I used 5 hinges per aileron.

Push-Rods

I love the way this plane makes it's push-rods. They are very nice. The same goes with the control horns.
The pushrods are made mainly from a small carbon tube and have a 'Z' bend on each end that is made from wire. The fit and everything is very nice. They are some of the best push-rods I have seen on a foam plane.
The control horns are made from a white plastic. The same stuff the servo mounds are made from. They work well and are glued into place with CA. Make sure the hole in the control horn is over the hinge line.
Doing the aileron push-rods is the same thing.

Motor/ESC

The motor mounting is really quite easy. First the motor mount has to be glued into place, for this I used epoxy. The next step is to install the triangle braces to strengthen it. This I used CA on.
Next I removed the black 'X' mount from the motor. I held it in place and marked all 4 holes. Then I used a small drill and made holes where I had marked them. The screws I used were small wood screws that I screwed into place.
For the ESC I plugged it in and made a small hole to let the RX wire go to the other side.The speed control is held in place by a patch of Velcro.
Motor: E-Flite Park 400
Prop: 10 x 5 APC
ESC: 18 Amp - Grayson Hobby

Finishing

With the plane all most done I mounted the receiver with a patch of Velcro. I used one piece of tape to hold down the antenna and one to secure the wires. Overall, it came out pretty neat looking.
All I did after that was program my radio, and add a strip of Velcro for the battery to sit on. It was very easy to get a good CG.
Battery: Turnigy 3S, 1500mAh
Receiver: Futaba 7ch
Radio: Futaba 8FG

With that, I thought it came out pretty well. A follow up of the build and more info coming soon.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:04 PM
PinkYakRC
Team AirfoilZ

Here is my flight report.

(best part is at about 2:56) --Backwards rolling harrier
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqztwMwSNZ8&feature=youtu.be[/media]