Airfoilz Edge 540 NX - Page 5 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Airfoilz support forum Discuss Airfoilz products or ask for assistance on those products.

Airfoilz Edge 540 NX

Old 01-01-2010, 03:35 PM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Keep a close eye on the expansion likes to do this when you turn your back on the part. Then it just fluffs right up like that spray in insulation.
I used the white gorilla glue to fill in some gaps around the wing. I didn't want to use the epoxy to fill the gap "wgt. gain". Funny thing that gorilla glue it does expand when you least expect it. I checked before going to bed seemed like it was going to be fine. I used just a small amount. Checked it in the morning looked like a mushroom cap grew from the gap. Wasn't to bad but dang can this stuff fluff up.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:52 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

White Gorilla Glue is one of my favorites, I have some on just about every plane I build. Once you get use to working with it the expansion doesn't seem so bad. Keep it light, don't use water, and clean it up before it sets... good stuff.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:57 PM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Alright I am at a cross road with the pushrods and graphite. My servos's are ready to get mounted the problem for me is do you cut the threaded push rods in half and cut the graphite to size. Then glue the metal ends into the graphite. I am use to just using metal pushrods and connecters not doing this type of setup. I know that the graphite setup is more percise as no flexing like a metal rod can do and wgt. is less with the graphite. Tell ya I need to get my camera back from my brothers house pics say more than words.
So what's the word on this minor problem.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:49 PM
cyclingsarge

Default Less than 30 minutes

Originally Posted by gramps2161 View Post
Sarge I never used this type of hinge either. I cut the slot's for the hinges dry fitted the pieces. I then used a pin to force the epoxy into the slots i would only epoxy one side a time. I would fit the trailing edge for the rudder on just to get the hinges lined up. Once the epoxy set I would then repeat the process with the trailing edge.
Ya it takes longer, but the hinges are lined up nice and I am not rushing to get the pieces packed with epoxy and getting the hinges in place. Like I said I am a slow builder, but you can get alot done with 5 min. epoxy and smaller batches.
Added bonus of doing it this way is I don't have to worry about epoxy getting in the hinge line and interfering with the hinge action. I did this once with a build never going to do that again.
I dry fitted also and tried stuffing the epoxy in the slots before putting the hinges in. I thought I would have plenty of open time with 30 minute epoxy. I didn't even mix the epoxy till after the dry fit. It seem to set up way quicker than 30 minutes and I only did one wing at time. The first wing came out ok it was the second wing. Oh well its all together just waiting to go back to Columbus, OH Monday for work my servos arrived last Tuesday from HK.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:24 PM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Well disregard my last post figured out the carbon pushrods. Not bad to do and I like the results. Read many posts that stated the advantage of using carbon pushrods seeing the results first hand made me a believer.
Well I need to go to the LHS and pick up a couple of items I need a y harness and servo extension's.

Sarge I had the same problem this afternoon the pellet stove was running and the extra heat caused one batch to take off on me just made the third hinge and the stuff was set. I forgot that heat can cause epoxy to set quicker.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:22 AM
av8djc
Old Fart

I had fun flying my Goldberg Extra this morning with the guys but I think it kept me from the maiden tomorrow. When I got home from flying it was lunchtime so after lunch it took almost two hours to just get the graphics on :o I moved things around somewhat different from the printed plan on the vynl pack. For one I want the bottom to be mostly black and with some checkerboards. I managed to get all the servos and control horns in but did not get the pushrods made. Even with 15 minute JB weld tomorrow I'm going to let it sit until Sunday for the maiden.

Hint on the graphics...It looks a lot better if you trim all the white you can from around the letters and artwork before you stick it on. My method is to cut off a little of the backer on one end of the piece then holding that stcky part up position the rest and then lay down the sticky piece. Then fold it back and remove the rest of the backer to lay down the rest. Keep a gentle pressure on this stuff because you can stretch it out of shape.

So tonight's photos:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	m_Edge IP.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	117097   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_EDGE IP2.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	117098  
Old 01-02-2010, 02:36 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Looking good Dave I have the tail feathers set on mine need to get the ailerons done tonight.
One thing I don't like is the control horn mounts. I had one pull out with a plane that had them glued on this way I might make a backer so as to put a couple of screws through them to keep them from pulling out. Mine pulled out on the stab doing a hand launch drove it right into the ground WOT not nice standing there slack jawed wondering what the heck happened. Well I need to get off this site so as to do a little work.
John
Old 01-02-2010, 02:38 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Nice job Dave, the graphics look good.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:46 AM
av8djc
Old Fart

Thanks for the compliments fellows

MAIDEN FLIGHT TODAY

The only thing is, I'm rusty as can be and after flying pattern and IMAC maneuvers since 1972 I think I need to learn how to fly :o It all went well though and I took the plane home in one piece after three each four plus minute flights. It needed a little aileron trim after takeoff, about two or three clicks. Ailerons are pretty hard to get straight right off the board. I set it up at about 3 1/2" aft of the LE for the cg, middle of the range, and it was just about right. As I get used to the airplane a little more I'll fine tune it but it went pretty level right side up and upside down so it must be close. I have a LOT of programming to do to get it tweaked out to my style. One funny thing is early on the first flight I tried a hover and was actually amazed I held it for about 5-7 seconds. Never did that before but unfortunately I couldn't do it again either

The Turnigy 2836-1000 we talked about earlier pulled 273 watts at 23.5 amps on a APC 9x4.5e prop. Nothing ever got warm. I had a lot of vertical performance but it was not insane fast straight up. I think I'll experiment with the 10x5 TGY green prop but it will probably be too much. What I need is probably a 10x4 and drop the speed a bit. The plane all up with a Rhino 1350 3s 30C battery weighted 1lb 8oz. Knowing how I build that's probably heavy. I used things I had on hand for now so I maybe could lighten it some. The Turnigy Plush 40 amp controller could give way to a 30-40 or maybe just a 30? I've got a Spectrum module for my back up Super 8 that I'm going to install then get an AR6110e receiver to get rid of the antenna wire and lighten it a bit. I have about a dozen receivers for the 72mhz so the transition will be slow. I'm also going to try my 3s 30C 2200 Turnigy batteries and see how she flies with those. More of an IMAC/Pattern style flying with the heavier batteries I would think.

So that's my story, now here's some more pictures:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0008.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	117248   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0011.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	117249   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0012.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	117250  
Old 01-03-2010, 01:54 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Congrats Dave

I made some good progress on mine today but I doubt there will be a maiden tomorrow...I'm not that close.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:26 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Sounds great Dave you came up from behind and blew our doors off. I thought for sure James would be flying his already.
Sounds like you had a good maiden and the plane flys nice that is good to hear also. I won't get to maiden mine till next weekend didn't do a thing with it today. I played chase the grandaugther around that was more fun to tell ya the truth. I am going to have to throw mine on the scale see what I get for a wgt. Well one down and many more to go. Your maiden flight report makes me want to get mine going even more.
John
Old 01-03-2010, 12:57 PM
av8djc
Old Fart

Sounds great Dave you came up from behind and blew our doors off.
John
Yeah I did Probably because both sets of our grandkids live too far away I guess I am the first of the group buy to finish one.

Going to give it another try today. We're going to have a few more days of great weather and light breezes. Would like to hear the weight of yours, not that I can do much about mine other than what I listed before. It looks like those 1350ma batteries are only good for around 4 minutes but I'll know more today.

Check out my pictures. I think I'm going to put a second battery strap on a little more aft. I thought I had the battery right but then it needed to go further aft so the strap only picks up the front. I do have it stuck to the fuselage with Velcro though to keep it from moving fore and aft but I want to minimize that size to make it easier to get on and off so that will take a second strap to keep the battery from twisting off.

Another thought on the carbon pushrods. The metal links were just the right length for the ailerons so I used them as is thinking it would be lighter that way. Oh and I used medium CA to put the carbon ones together and that's how I was able to fly the same day. No waiting for JB weld. Also I used the Dremel cutoff wheel to make a lot of shallow cuts in the metal rod as well as 100 grit sanding first to give some mechanical bond.

Oh I hope you like my new Avatar even though you can't see it very well. It's the Dave Platt 1/4 scale Bucker Jungmeister I built in about 1985. It's been retired long ago waiting for a recover but it's all in one piece hanging up in my hangar.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:46 PM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Ya going from your pic another velcro strap might be a good idea. You start pushing that bird you might throw the battery. I havent done that myself yet, but it does make for interesting reading.
Your motor wgts. 6 oz.'s this is why you need your battery back so far and the strap isn't working out there. I think I will wait to do my strap until I get it balanced then I can get it in the middle of the pack. My motor wgts 58 grams puts out 210 watts yours wgts 173 gram according to HK website and the watts are about double though. The reveiws make it sound like that motor needs the bigger battery so those turnigy 2200 should work better for you give you a little more umph.

Well my granddaughter went with her father so I can finish this up need to get servo extensions short by a inch to reach the RX. The wires off the hxt 9 g are not as long as the hitec 55's and it is to late to move the servos's into a new spot.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:04 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

I am going to need to do the same thing Gramps. I have 3 9gr from Jeff with the longer leads and 1 HXT 900 with the short wires. I am going to need a 3" extension to reach my Rx.

Dave I should be able to get an AUW this evening, I will be using an 1800 3S pack.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:46 PM
av8djc
Old Fart

Look at the pictures, mine are HXT 900's and I'm not using extensions.

Until I make the rear strap holder I won't be removing any of the velcro on the battery that fastens to the fuselage. That's what I was trying to say I did some pretty fierce snaps yesterday though with faith the battery would stay put.

Going flying now
Old 01-03-2010, 05:10 PM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Ya that is the problem I checked all four servo's and none have a longer lead short by 2' inches or so. I am going to cut the last 2 pieces of carbon rod for the ailerons get them set. Then it's out in this stinkin cold and snow to buy those leads. I have a set but i'm not playing that swap out of one plane to use in another game.
I am going to run up my motor and see what i get for actual watts out of it today manufacter says 210 watts with a 11x6 prop. we will see.

Any of you using a ubec with your setup I have one and I am thinking of using it those HXT servos do draw some amps hate to have a RX issue because of not using one.
If you can taste a maiden then I am close to it.

P.S. Dave your aviator looks great.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:36 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Dave your HXT 900 must have longer leads then mine. Especially the aileron servos.

I will be running a UBEC. Using one from Jeff at Heads Up.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:07 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Default Been awhile since I posted pics

Here you can see the shorter lead on the HXT servo. I could have maybe moved things around to get it all to work but it's too late now, I will just use an extension.
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0001-3.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	117346
Here is a good one of the esc/UBEC.

Name:	000_0002-2.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	117347
What she's looking like.

Name:	000_0003-2.jpg
Views:	587
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	117348
Old 01-04-2010, 09:40 PM
cyclingsarge

Default Vinyl Decals fix?

Hello all,

I am having problem keeping the Vinyl decals sticking to the plane. Does anyone have a fix for this or had the same problem? Appreciate any insight on this issue.

Thanks
Old 01-04-2010, 09:49 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Not sure Sarge, mine have been sticking good.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:36 PM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Did you clean the foam good with a alcohol it removes the the release agent from the foam. Also from handling the foam with your hands can get oils on the foam to.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:41 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

I made sure there was no foam dust but I didn't wipe down the surface with anything. Hopefully I won't have problems later on but they sure do seem to be sticking good for now.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:00 AM
av8djc
Old Fart

Did you clean the foam good with a alcohol it removes the the release agent from the foam. Also from handling the foam with your hands can get oils on the foam to.
Now THAT would have been good to know. I don't believe it is in the instructions.

And yes, I find myself thumbing them back down, mostly on the leading (front) edges. It sems they need a little after every flight Can I assume you guys have maidened yours or are the edges just coming up as you work on it?

No flying today, the day was dedicated to painting the house. I told the boss I'm going flying tomorrow
Old 01-05-2010, 01:14 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

No I still haven't finished mine, been busy.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:42 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

You can use a little of the foam safe CA glue to hold the edges down on the decals, just a little CA goes a long way so go easy on it or you will have a CA mess.
No I haven't done anything with mine never made it to the LHS for the servo ext. ordered them from headsup shopping from home beat going out in the single digits. I will have those by tues., wed. at the latest. I really don't have much to do to get it ready to maiden just the odds and ends.
I can't maiden mine till next weekend by the time I get out of work it's cold and dark.

Quick Reply: Airfoilz Edge 540 NX

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.16144 seconds with 18 queries