Airfoilz Edge 540 NX - Page 7 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Airfoilz support forum Discuss Airfoilz products or ask for assistance on those products.

Airfoilz Edge 540 NX

Old 01-14-2010, 11:21 PM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

One thing to watch out for is the landing gear. The electrical tie that comes with it to join the landing gear and keep it secure they break easy. I was flying off a pond the snow is still soft when I came in for a landing the gear caught in the snow and the tie broke, and off came the gear. The last 2 flights I flew with out the gear and belly landed in the snow. I am tempted to just leave the landing gear off, and just belly land her.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:01 AM
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

All these flight reports are killin me!!!

I'll post soon soon soon I hope!!!
Old 01-15-2010, 12:37 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Nitro Blast View Post
All these flight reports are killin me!!!

I'll post soon soon soon I hope!!!
I ain't even seen mine yet. but soon as mustang'inBub an I get together I'll be all smile'in and stuff!
My Computers been down and my bub Don Sim's sent me this cool little laptop to post with,
I best get a PM off to thank him real Quick
Been fly'in my cap & Edge every day and got a 10 sized outie on my 20 Oz Formossa II so ain't nobody been Bored around here
Missed you guy's Bubsteve
Old 01-15-2010, 12:52 AM
av8djc
Old Fart

Good for you John, glad the maiden worked out well. With 325 watts there is no way I can stay on high rates with full throttle

Can't wait to try mine again but the winds are here for a few days
Old 01-15-2010, 01:24 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

I went and ordered a new motor from Jeff if he says 200 watts it's 200watts.
I bought this one off of ebay ad says 210 watts, wattmeter says 168 watts I will put this on a Katana that I got on ebay along time ago. I put it together and it has sat since then it's time to get her going.
I didn't think I would like this type of flying, but I do it demands more attention and stick input then going around in circles doing loops and stuff. Dang how long does it take to learn to hover.

Dave I can understand why you would have to reduce the high rates at 325 watts yikes she must be a rocket wot.

Steve Trying to use the rudder like ya said I see what you mean that the rudder is your friend flying one of these. I need to put more throw on the rudder just not quite enough. This is the first 3D and I think I'm going to like this alot.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:46 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by gramps2161 View Post
I went and ordered a new motor from Jeff if he says 200 watts it's 200watts.
I bought this one off of ebay ad says 210 watts, wattmeter says 168 watts I will put this on a Katana that I got on ebay along time ago. I put it together and it has sat since then it's time to get her going.
I didn't think I would like this type of flying, but I do it demands more attention and stick input then going around in circles doing loops and stuff. Dang how long does it take to learn to hover.

Dave I can understand why you would have to reduce the high rates at 325 watts yikes she must be a rocket wot.

Steve Trying to use the rudder like ya said I see what you mean that the rudder is your friend flying one of these. I need to put more throw on the rudder just not quite enough. This is the first 3D and I think I'm going to like this alot.
You gotta get the harrier down pat then hover'in will come in to the mix in no time, Rudder'in the main thing to harrier'in and hover'in don't take alot of input and control movement, When Hover'in at less than 20' nose-over,,don't try to loop out, if you find you gotta ,,intilmon out at the top,
you'll find it gets automadic after a while,,BIG THROWS ARE YOUR BUB HERE!!!!bubsteve
Old 01-16-2010, 01:51 AM
cyclingsarge

Default first flight first crash

I am no expert in the art of 3d and I didn't get this plane for that, at least not now. I took it out for its first flight it was about 35 sunny, 5 to 10 winds, but still lots of snow on the field. I just wanted to take it up for a quick lap to see how well it was balanced. Did preflight checks ensured all linkage and controls were working and in the right orientation. I warmed up the motor a little with some taxing in the parking lot. Looked good so far.
It was time increased the throttle and it took right off in about 20 feet. From the get go it was very tail heavy and had to level it with some down down elevator and more throttle.
The problem came when I clipped a giant stadium light pole with a good whack. The plan flat spinned from there all the way down to the snow. How embarrassing and a total miscalculation of depth. Went out to get the plane and this is the damage. Crumpled the right front leading edge on the tip. This caused either the fuselage or the wing or both to flex creating caved in and cracked Depron where the aerilons are parallel to the fuselage. I also split, cracked the wing around the circumfance of the root where the wing and fuselage join. Over all not too much damage that a little epoxy cannot fix I hope. Oh I forgot it also knocked some of the hinges loose. I did not take any pictures wish i did so everyone would know exactly what I was talking about because I don't even know if I know what I am talking about.

Lesson learned is don't maiden at a field you have never flown at before and ensure you have lots of open field.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:01 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

"I am no expert in the art of 3d and I didn't get this plane for that, at least not now"
You will be!,
they fly better after a few repairs anyway,,Bubsteve
Old 01-16-2010, 02:10 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Oh man sorry to hear that Sarge it sounds like it took a beaten. Well I hope the repairs go well for you that really bites that you gonged a pole. Those things need to be outlawed. What do you have for a CG I went with 3 1/2" from the LE.
Good luck with the repairs Sarge you will like this plane once you get it trimed out. I am hoping to go out with mine again Sat. suppose to be nice again. Never thought I would say it but 32 degrees feels warm after the cold snap we had.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:21 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Steve I found a excellent source to learn 3D manuvers on this site.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4459958/tm.htm
At least to me it seems like good info this link was posted by oldfart I particed the harrier last night on the sim. Had to relly work at keeping the wing's from stalling. I can see that you really learn to use the stick's flying 3D sure must help when flying other plane's.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:25 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by cyclingsarge View Post
I am no expert in the art of 3d and I didn't get this plane for that, at least not now. I took it out for its first flight it was about 35 sunny, 5 to 10 winds, but still lots of snow on the field. I just wanted to take it up for a quick lap to see how well it was balanced. Did preflight checks ensured all linkage and controls were working and in the right orientation. I warmed up the motor a little with some taxing in the parking lot. Looked good so far.
It was time increased the throttle and it took right off in about 20 feet. From the get go it was very tail heavy and had to level it with some down down elevator and more throttle.
The problem came when I clipped a giant stadium light pole with a good whack. The plan flat spinned from there all the way down to the snow. How embarrassing and a total miscalculation of depth. Went out to get the plane and this is the damage. Crumpled the right front leading edge on the tip. This caused either the fuselage or the wing or both to flex creating caved in and cracked Depron where the aerilons are parallel to the fuselage. I also split, cracked the wing around the circumfance of the root where the wing and fuselage join. Over all not too much damage that a little epoxy cannot fix I hope. Oh I forgot it also knocked some of the hinges loose. I did not take any pictures wish i did so everyone would know exactly what I was talking about because I don't even know if I know what I am talking about.

Lesson learned is don't maiden at a field you have never flown at before and ensure you have lots of open field.
I can send you some carbon fiber toe(Thick unwound carbon thead) To help keep you fix'in light as possable, if you've used it before cool if not it's not hard to get the hang of,I did a little tutoreal on it awhile back, PM me your Add and I'll mail you some(Free of course) if it'll help,bubsteve
Old 01-16-2010, 02:40 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by gramps2161 View Post
Steve I found a excellent source to learn 3D manuvers on this site.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4459958/tm.htm
At least to me it seems like good info this link was posted by oldfart I particed the harrier last night on the sim. Had to relly work at keeping the wing's from stalling. I can see that you really learn to use the stick's flying 3D sure must help when flying other plane's.
If I were ask to teach someone to 3/D for a 100Bucks I'd give it back to um and tell um to buy a bucket-full-o-lipos and Practice,Practice, I have'nt been 3/d'in less that a year but it's so much fun you find you do it a Bunch!! bubsteve
Old 01-16-2010, 02:51 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

True statement Steve bucket full of lipos fly, fly, fix and fly some more.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:27 PM
av8djc
Old Fart

Sorry to hear about the crash Sarge. You'll get her going again I'm sure. I totaled a new plane on the second flight a month ago by trying a maneuver that the plane was not ready for as far as CG and trimming out. That was a crunchie :o

I'm no good at 3D either being an old Pattern flyer but I'm anxious to learn. I think it will improve my skills all around. I've been looking at the EPP Yak 42 over on http://tinyurl.com/ygx8y6m and will probably get one to be able to practice this 3D thing more seriously. (Maybe another WBC?) http://tinyurl.com/yzur9p8 I might just order up some foam. We have the big electric meet here in AZ the end of the month and I suspect I'll have an opportunity there to score some pretty cool stuff.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:38 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

30% chance of rain today and it's raining . Oh well maybe later today I will get a chance to maiden.

I was just barely getting anywhere learning 3D until I started building and flying the EPP profiles. As far as I am concerned they are the only way to learn 3D. The amount of abuse you can dish out to one of those little boogers is ridiculous . This allows you to practice down low and up close which makes it a lot easier to learn.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:28 AM
av8djc
Old Fart

I flew again today 3 flights. I moved the batteries a lot farther aft than they were, maybe due to the gear rearrangement. It looks like I need to have the ailerons a little different than each other for level flight. I had them set up exactly straight with the airfoil at the tips and I needed mucho right ail trim. I can't believe the wing is twisted. Then there is the question of how to deal with getting them setup regarding departures from the "straight with the airfoil" thing. I need to research this.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:00 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

I think you draw a line thru the center of the wing looking at it from the wing tip. That is how I did mine it is a little confusing, but I saw a pic that showed this.
Dave what side is your battery on the left?
I got to fly mine twice today little scary I need to turn down the throws a little to much for me to learn with I gave myself more throw today than the last 3 flights, and the wind was about 9 mph that didn't help much. I put it in twice not bad I have a small tear in the leading edge, and a broken prop wihich I have more of. Hope to fly again Sun. we have a storm moving in heavy wet snow hope we don't lose power.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:10 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by av8djc View Post
I flew again today 3 flights. I moved the batteries a lot farther aft than they were, maybe due to the gear rearrangement. It looks like I need to have the ailerons a little different than each other for level flight. I had them set up exactly straight with the airfoil at the tips and I needed mucho right ail trim. I can't believe the wing is twisted. Then there is the question of how to deal with getting them setup regarding departures from the "straight with the airfoil" thing. I need to research this.
some of my 3/d&Sport plane's need a butt-load of right thust (as much as 4 to 5%)
does she get squrily and need alot of rudder input for turns?,
Or maybe like you said a twisted wing or fuse,
I'm do'in mine in carbon fiber instead of balsa and ply(except for the wing spar),, the darned land gear wire has a bunch of poundage an ain't go'in on the plane, (I'll do CF laid up on barbie skweers)the axle-sized control-rods and wippy horns horns ain't happen'in either, Maybe maid'in her next weekend,I think she'll be a hoot good luck ,bubsteve
Heres my last Watt-buyer plane!! this is the best way to buy planes and share Ideas , Where else can you buy an build a Plane with all your bub's at the same time
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0124 (2).jpg
Views:	188
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	118367   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0127 (2).jpg
Views:	182
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	118368  
Old 01-17-2010, 02:22 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Hey I forgot to mention use a rubber band to hold the landing gear on it works great. I used a thick rubber band I went around the landing gear abunch of times then I placed the rubber band in the groove of the landing gear block. It had some spring to it and it didn't break once.

Steve how true that is on being able to buy the plane and share info on the plane to.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	airfilz 001.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	118369   Click image for larger version

Name:	airfilz 002.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	118370   Click image for larger version

Name:	airfilz 003.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	118371  
Old 01-17-2010, 03:17 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

I love this plane I'm not sure if my buddy got any video today or not but I will get some.

The Super Tiger motor did great, hovers at just a little over half throttle with plenty of power to pull out. I would guess unlimited vertical but I didn't want to try it with the fog and low clouds hanging around today .

Throws are maxed out. I ended up with 65% expo on the elevator and ailerons and 50% on the rudder. CG is right at 3.75 back from the leading edge. I will always love my EPP planes but this flies so much better than they do. The controls are crisp and snappy...I love it .

Other than not using any foam safe CA I built mine per the instructions and used all the supplied hardware. If, or should I say when , I build another I don't think I would change anything. I may change my mind after flying it for a little while but so far I like it just the way it is.

AIRFOILZ ROCK!!!!
Old 01-17-2010, 03:40 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

SmokeyBub:Sounds Great! I hope mine does as well as yours I always tweek these things and like to "make it my own"
sometimes I go overBoard like my 20 Oz formossaII with a 10power=Outie (bit-o-overTweek'in)
I'm go'in lite as 'm use'in a 2409-18-10/60Prop, 1050 3-Cell and so she's gotta go on a dietbubsteve
Old 01-17-2010, 03:40 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Hey James glad the rain cleared out for you so you could get a flight in. Fun plane to fly isn't it.
Glad that motor worked for you I have the 400 tigre out runner that I got from the LHS to test I liked it smooth running and very quiet.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:36 PM
av8djc
Old Fart

Gramps, thanks for the link to the 3D textbook. It explains things really well and the videos are great. Now I can see in the videos what these maneuvers really are. I find the black tie wraps are more pliable and stronger.

As for my right aileron trim:
Battery is on the right
There is no fuselage twist. I'm not able to detect any wing twist by eye (and I usually can spot it) but I could set up my incidence meter to really check it out.
I set it up originally with the wingtip centerline method so the ailerons were on line.
The rudder is inline with the vertical fin and the airplane turns and rolls clean without rudder input.

I was messing about yesterday with the CG and elevator and aileron trim. My CG is right at the recommended but I think it could still go aft just a little.

When I trimmed out the ailerons after the first flight using subtrim I did the subtrims on the 1and6 channels and I think that might not be the thing to do at least at the field. I'm concerned about them being reflexed up or down now (on averaging them both together) and that will throw off the elevator trim and effect the flight balance. What bothers me is to get it to fly level I need the right aileron up and the left one down a very visible amount, like 1/8 to 1/4". As my Georgia friends say "That Ain't Riiiight".

Batteries are charged and I'll try again today but first I'm going to check the lateral balance and probably set the ailerons up straight with the wings again after first subtrimming the servos back to 90 degrees at the arms. Square one.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:50 PM
av8djc
Old Fart

Well I set the ailerons up to dead straight with the airfoil. I found my eye to be a much better tool than a line on the tips. I checked the lateral balance and due to the battery on the right side it is right wing heavy. I went out and flew five flights. The wind was mostly dead calm with a couple of light puffs at times, a perfect day for trimming.

The CG was perfect right where I had it yesterday. The elevator is neutral. The ailerons needed three to four clicks of trim to the right The only thing left is the wing is twisted. It lined up perfectly at the root when I assembled it.

Anyone want another one of these cheap??? I do not like crooked planes.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:02 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

you can git it strait,, torture the wing over slitey past the level you want in a real warm place ,100deg or so,then after a day clear tape it from the side that "gave" to strait, done this a few times and it work for me,, bubsteve

Quick Reply: Airfoilz Edge 540 NX

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11977 seconds with 16 queries