RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

DX7 immediate battery drain

Old 06-29-2020, 08:44 AM
AirmanAirhead
Did that tree move??

Default DX7 immediate battery drain

This evening I was binding a RX to my Dx7 and in the midst of the process, the battery gauge on the TX started draining right before my eyes. I mean plummeting. Years ago I converted over to enloop rechargeable batteries and everything worked fine. I don't charge them in the radio, I remove them and charge them with an external wall charger.

The strange thing is that when I test the battery pack with the radio off, it measures 10.1 volts. when I turn the radio on, the battery gauge on the TX plummets, as well as my test meter and the low battery alarm comes on, around 7 volts. I also notice that the binding light on the back of the radio stays green, until the battery is drained within seconds. Once the radio is off, the battery comes back up to about 9.7 volts. I also tried another set of freshly charged batteries and the same thing happens.

Is my radio fried? Any ideas?
Old 06-30-2020, 06:54 AM
AirmanAirhead
Did that tree move??

Update: I have discovered that this "battery drain issue" happens only when one specific models is selected??? Not on the other models that are saved. I just cleared the data on that model slot which happens to be #10 and when selected it still drains the battery as I sit and watch the gauge. Weird.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:38 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

That is strange.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:50 PM
AirmanAirhead
Did that tree move??

Originally Posted by Don Sims View Post
That is strange.
Don, in double checking, I'm wrong, it indeed does it on all model selections. This issue came out of the blue. Do you have any experience of Horizon Hobby's track record in repairing their radios? I just sent in an email request yesterday. Waiting to hear from them. Curious to know if anyone has any experience with their track record.
thanks!
Old 07-01-2020, 06:39 AM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Horizon has been great in 98% of the people I know. They fixed a couple of radios of mine for free. I just paid shipping to them.
Definitely call them or wait for the email,
Old 07-01-2020, 02:36 PM
AirmanAirhead
Did that tree move??

Originally Posted by Wildflyer View Post
Horizon has been great in 98% of the people I know. They fixed a couple of radios of mine for free. I just paid shipping to them.
Definitely call them or wait for the email,
Thanks Wildflyyer. That helps me feel more confident to pursue them regarding this matter.
Old 07-16-2020, 05:25 PM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

OK what you are describing is classic battery failure from one or more cells with high resistance. Put the battery on a charger, and magically in minutes shows full charged. Take it off the charger and the voltages is just fine. Connect a load and the voltage crashes because it cannot deliver enough current. A simple load test will confirm.