General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Returning to Electric with Questions

Old 08-13-2020, 06:40 PM
zoomzoooie

Default Returning to Electric with Questions

I started to get into electric RC many years ago and didn't get very far. I got an A-12 CoolRunning ESC and Komodo Kit motor if that tells you how long ago.
My radio was and is a JR X347. I had considered getting a 2.4 mhz conversion kit for it back then. I had started to look into them again and could not find what I was looking for, so I decided to get a new transmitter.

I got a new Radiolink AT-10II transmitter that comes with a 12 channel receiver and telemetry module. I also order the 6 channel and 9 channel receivers.
I think I'm going to buy a new motor and ESC instead of using the old stuff with the prices of motors and ESC so low now it makes sense.
I have two 11.1v 3S lipos coming. One for the transmitter and one I had intended to use on board.

So my question is about receiver voltage. I noticed the receiver voltage specs are less than 11.1 volts
6CH = 4.8v - 6v
9CH = 4.8v - 10v
12CH = 4.6v - 10v

Does this mean I can't use an 11.1 volt 3S battery on?
How is the voltage to the receiver regulated?
Do I need something additional to regulate the voltage to the receiver?

ZZ

Old 08-13-2020, 06:55 PM
quorneng
Super Contributor

zoomzooie
The receiver, and the servos that are plugged into it, are either powered directly from a suitable 4.8V to 6V battery or from a 5V regulated power supply powered from the higher voltage flight battery. This can be either built into the flight motor speed controller, ESC, referred to as the Battery Eliminator Circuit, BEC, or from a stand alone unit, UBEC, coupled directly to the flight battery. Remember even if the receiver might be able to stand 10V it is unlikely the servos can.
I hope this helps.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:55 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

Yes, your ESC plugs into your throttle port on the RX and this provides the power for your RX and servos as well.
Old 08-14-2020, 11:51 AM
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

Training/trainer suggestions:
Advice for getting into flying RC airplanes, and how not to - The Ampeer

Some well-structured reading for rainy/windy days, and some handy e-tools as well. Will save you, and us a lot of questions. Notably the 'what went wrong?' kind of questions Will also prevent you from burning up several controllers and/or motors and/or battery:
E-flight primer and tools

And pleasepleaseplease, do your RC equipment, wallet, ego, battery, controller, motor, house/garage/car a big favour ... get a watt-meter. It will more than pay for itself, will save you at least one fried motor and one fried controller. Will also help you finding the best setup.
Keep battery-/-watt-/multi-meter wires short!
too long wires batteryside will kill ESC over time: precautions, solutions & workarounds
Old 08-14-2020, 05:05 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Ron, I try to help beginners, and some not so beginners, understand what is going on inside an electric airplane on some of my Facebook groups.
Would you mind if I gave them parts of your writings? Facebook seems to work better with short reply's, the longer ones get ignored.
I understand electronics just fine, but you put it in words much better.
Old 08-14-2020, 06:27 PM
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

Of course Dave, by all means, go ahead. And thank you

Last edited by ron_van_sommeren; 08-15-2020 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:15 PM
zoomzoooie

Thanks guys for all the great information. Sorry it took so long to get back.

In the mean time I have been thinking of how I would connect servos to floats and skis that will have retracts and water rudders. I found some great looking little rubber connectors I was considering, but I didn't want to have exposed servo wires and an open connector hole under the fuselage specially since the wheels, floats and skis will be interchangable.
I remembered coming across some info using multiple receivers, in that case for redundancy. In my case I had the idea to get a few more receivers which I could put in the floats and skis binding them all to the receiver, eliminating exposed all wires.

You guys mentioned BECs before. Since I would not need a throttle in floats and skis I assume I would not need a BEC? I thought I could just use a small NiCad or lipo pack rated for the receivers like old school.
Old 08-18-2020, 08:04 PM
quorneng
Super Contributor

zoomzoooie
You might find radio reception was rather poor when on the water as the aerial in the floats would be very low down.
As the float would not have a motor there is no ESC so all you need is a suitable battery for the receiver and servo however compared to using just a single single servo connection there would be a significant weight penalty.
Old 08-21-2020, 12:35 AM
zoomzoooie

I never considered reception could be too low on the water. I'm glad you pointed that out. I was just thinking the simplest and easiest way was everything sealed in the floats. I think I will need to do some testing on water with the gear before committing.

I'm using Hitec HS-55 feather servos and would be using a micro 6ch receiver in the floats and skis. They weigh next to nothing. The Super Cub wing has about 340sq in and I'm building as light. but strong as possible.
I've built planes of this size with nitro and 4 standard servos and 4 cell nicads way back when. They flew well with that much weight. I am rather excited about all the small and light weight gear we have today.