General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

What ARF Changed Your Mind? OR What Kit Changed Your Mind?

Old 12-31-2008, 01:25 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Default What ARF Changed Your Mind? OR What Kit Changed Your Mind?

When I first started in this hobby and realized I was going to really enjoy it, I started designing and building my own planes. I also built kits from Stevens Aero and Mountain Models/LA as well as kits from other makers. I really enjoyed doing that.

I never considered buying an ARF until...

...until I bought a Mini Pulse XT. That plane flew well and also looked good in the air. From that plane, I had a Pulse XT, then a SIG Somethin' Extra and a Funtana X50. All well flying airplanes.

I still have a number of kits in mind to build. Next on my list is a Skeeter36 and I also was to scratchbuild some small 3D planes, so building is still in my future.

I'm just wondering if there is anyone else out there who stumbled upon an ARF and said to themselves "Hey, that's not too bad, I'd like to have that." Is there a plane that you can identify that did that to you also? I'm sure there are others out there that was in the same boat as me at one time.

And no, I don't want to turn this thread into a kit vs. ARF vs. scratchbuilt debate.

Thanks,

Frank

PS And for those as Kev pointed out; what Kit or scratchbuild changed your mind from buying ARFs to building instead?

Last edited by Murocflyer; 12-31-2008 at 01:47 AM.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:30 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Frank,

What about the opposite? I started with an EZ Star RTF, then a Hobbico Electristar RTF. Then, I built my Miss Stick Junior, and discovered building is quite enjoyable (when I don't glue things wrong! LOL)

Should I be able to swing it, this year's winter build will be a Mountain Models 1/9th scale Clipped Wing Cub.

Oh.....I have a MPXT too. I plan on trying to get a LOT of stick time this spring and summer; I wish that to be my "every time I go to the field it goes in the air" plane.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:48 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

OK Kev, just for you. OP modified.

Frank
Old 12-31-2008, 01:51 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

I'm sorry Frank, I didn't mean for you to change it.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:03 AM
TDisaster
Super Contributor

I've always flown a good mix. I like to build, unless its a 3D model. I'm always doing stupid thingd with those, so I don't like to put too much time into em'.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:45 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

No worries Kev, I forgot that some don't start out building first so I need to ask about both sides of the coin.

So which one was it Mike? Can you narrow it down?

Frank
Old 12-31-2008, 03:54 AM
TDisaster
Super Contributor

Well I started on a GP ElectriCub ARF. Then I converted a few Guillows kits. Then got an Eflite Ultimate FX, then it sorta all took off . And now I'm building a 1/5 J-3 Cub, and a 9ft Sailplane (Mantua Silver) to be towed by it . Both kits.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:43 PM
Red Scholefield
Batteries/Chargers

ARF's didn't exist when I started modeling. One of my first ARFs was a Telemaster Electro. Needed a platform to test batteries, ESCs etc. With the flap option it has become one of my favorite planes to fly. Recovered the wing to take off the advertizing. Another is an orphan (Ultra Stick 25e) that the original owner put in the trash can after a significant arrival with earth. Put it back in the air just to show it could be done. Would that be considered an ARF or a kit built? I think ARFs take the pressure off having a plane to fly while scratch building your dream plane.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ultra stick salvaged from trash barrel.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	88562   Click image for larger version

Name:	youngcls.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	88563  
Old 12-31-2008, 01:00 PM
birdDog
Charging....

I started with some small rtf's and moved up to some medium sized arf's. Being newer to this hobby, I have been through a lot of planes. Then I found a Sig (Herr) 1/2a cub kit. Perfect docile flyer for a first build. The Laser cutting is so accurate (from all manufacturers), I have been in love with kits ever since. I built some Guillows kits 30 years ago so I had a little idea of what to do. The biggest factor for me was the shrink film covering! Big step forward from paper and dope (for planes!). Sure, the covering job can still get me a little irritated at times but they eventually come out looking beautiful. I find my best satisfaction from flying a built up plane.
Since that I have built a HOB schoolyard scale Spacewalker, and a Ca Models Funky .40 should be in the air after about 10-15 more hours.

You have to understand, the kits make a little more sense, for me, with these midwest winters.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:26 PM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

I don't know if this counts as a "Change Of Mind"; eventually building my own aircraft was always at the back of my mind when I started this vice, excuse me, "hobby".

I started with the RTF AeroBird-3, but was dissatisfied with it's flight characteristics . And no, it didn't have Assured Crash Technology. I had flown a friend's Miss Stik and had fallen in love with it's Float On It's Own flight. However, I was recommended against a balsa build as a second plane by my fellow WattFlyers and got an ARF EZ* instead.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Star. it's a great plane! It flys and repairs easy, perfect for beginners who are prone to violent interactions with solid objects, such as trees, planetary surfaces, etcetera. I am consistantly recommending it. But it still doesn't fly as nice as the Miss. And after reading Kev's "Jr" build thread I made up my mind.

My next plane will be a Miss Stik.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:26 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by birdDog View Post
I started with some small rtf's and moved up to some medium sized arf's. Being newer to this hobby, I have been through a lot of planes. Then I found a Sig (Herr) 1/2a cub kit. Perfect docile flyer for a first build. The Laser cutting is so accurate (from all manufacturers), I have been in love with kits ever since. I built some Guillows kits 30 years ago so I had a little idea of what to do. The biggest factor for me was the shrink film covering! Big step forward from paper and dope (for planes!). Sure, the covering job can still get me a little irritated at times but they eventually come out looking beautiful. I find my best satisfaction from flying a built up plane.
Since that I have built a HOB schoolyard scale Spacewalker, and a Ca Models Funky .40 should be in the air after about 10-15 more hours.

You have to understand, the kits make a little more sense, for me, with these midwest winters.
Too bad we didn't live closer, eh?
Old 12-31-2008, 04:22 PM
jcg1112

When I soloed back in '88, ARF's were pretty much non-existent. My first plane was a Goldberg almost ready to cover actually. It had foam core wings,don't even remember the name, still have some pictures. I flew it with a K&B 40 with an Irvine mini pipe. After that I built the rest of my planes from kits. 2nd plane was a 40 size Big Stick with a rear exhaust OS 46 with no dihedral and 2 aileron servos. Next were 40 and 60 size Super Sportsters, 60 size Dirti Birdi ..... Still have another 60 size Great Planes Dirti Birdi in the box. Stopped flying for about 10 years and when I started back in '04 I was amazed at the ARF's that were available. They've only gotten better since then. Now that I've switched to E-power, I have planes from Fancy Foam, Park Zone, E-Flite, Great Planes and Super Flying Models.

I always enjoyed kit building and bashing. Got pretty good at covering and repairing. But, that was back in the bachelor days with allot more time. For me the quality ARF's make sense at this point.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:49 PM
Elfwreck
PHD in Crashology

Hey now,
When I got started in powered flight I flew ukies. There was no such thing as ARFs back then as far as U-control went anyway.
If you wanted to fly, you built. That was the only way to go.

Then in '70 or '71 I got my first "full house" radio a Futaba competition six.
I saw a couple of ARFs around, but they were real dogs. Serious timber for stringers, plywood every where, and huge gobs of some strange glue that didn't hold well. So I built. My first r/c was a Midwest Das Little Stick with a Veco .19 for power.

First ARF I found that I thought was any good was the Horizon Mini Ultra Stick. I saw one at the field and test flew it for the owner and I was impressed. It flew very much like my old little stick. I had to have one.
So I bought it and the first thing I did was to remove all the covering, redo the vertical fin to the shape of my first 'stick and cut scallops into it.
Then I recovered it to look just like my 'stick.

I set it up with flaps, using "crow" and I've been flying it ever since. It's still my favorite thrasher. It should be the model in my avatar (I think).
Since then I've bought other ARFs but I also still build kits, these laser cut things are so nice after surving the old Goldberg die crunching and Sterling's super hardwood pseudo balsa I'll scratch things up from time to time too. It's all good for me...
RobII