ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

ART TECH P-51D RTF. Any Good?

Old 09-14-2007, 11:44 PM
cgpro856

Default ART TECH P-51D RTF. Any Good?

I'm thinking of trying one of these as my 2nd plane.
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/mustang.htm

I have been flying a sky fly and I have a sim to practice on, but am wondering if I would be wasting my money. I want to fly mild aerobatics in the space of a soccer or large baseball field.

I really dont want to spend more than a couple hundred dollars, and I wouldn't be opposed to building a plane, but the list of stuff you have to buy seperately and the huge selection of various parts scares the heck out of me.

Thanks,
Chris P.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:44 AM
tnray3
-Tom

[quote=cgpro856;272484]I'm thinking of trying one of these as my 2nd plane.
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/mustang.htm

I have been flying a sky fly and I have a sim to practice on, but am wondering if I would be wasting my money. I want to fly mild aerobatics in the space of a soccer or large baseball field.
... If you have a DX6, this might be a better option Chris.. https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=5309
DX6 plus a AR6000 RX and your still under your $200 budget.

The ART TECH mustang is the best scale warbird out there. It is a nice progression from the parkzone sky fly. BUT... it isn't as tough as your skyfly. My skyfly (7trees, 2 lightpoles, and +20 curb attacks, oh and 1 pond) provided my education, but this plane is MUCH more manuverable. With my Skyfly I had to throw the stick fully to one side or the other...My ART TECH mustang requires only a wisper of stick to make it turn on a dime! Almost a tragic first flight. Friendly advice...fly level and grab some altitude before you make any turns on your maiden flight. My setup is a Spectrum DX7 w/AR6000 RX and the ART TECH Mustang. I plan on installing flaps and retracts for less than $25.
Just a suggestion but you might want to trade that 4 bladed prop in for a nice balanced 2 bladed one.

Last edited by tnray3; 11-27-2007 at 06:07 AM. Reason: spell check :)
Old 11-27-2007, 06:17 AM
VeiwSonic

These look nice, not sure if a soccer field is enough room though. But they look great
Old 03-30-2008, 08:40 PM
beowolf

Default Go for it!!!!

The Art Tech is my first ever RC plane, So far I have had her for about two months, and only had one bad accident, battery ran flat, and I found the trees, snapped the prop, crunched the Motor mount and dented the leading edge of one wing, yes I fly on a soccer field, actually two side by side, and she is more than capable of the turns and loops in this kind of area. GO FOR IT< she is a fantastic plan.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:13 AM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Default ART TECH P-51D Mustang is the best Park Flyer!!!

Yes indeed, this ART TECH P-51D Mustang is a true PARK FLYER in it's definition as it has terrific manners in the air, super light, very agile, graceful and not one bad habit in the air!

A Co-Worker / friend bought this model from Hobby City or City Hobby whatever they call themselves and our Local USA distributor Hobby-Lobby has lots of parts for it. This one co-worker sold it to another buddy of mine, Gerry and he has flown this model perhaps 10 + FLights so far and it has been an outstanding RC Scale Model in the air and Gerry has been very satisfied.

Here's a few pictures of Gerry's ART TECH P-51D Mustang:

Plus, here is Gerry Maiden VIDEO:
http://www.vimeo.com/1327001

Recent Video with Blue Skys from this past weekend:
http://www.vimeo.com/1419479
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Art Tech P-51D Mustang1.JPG
Views:	750
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	73928   Click image for larger version

Name:	Art Tech P-51D Mustang2.JPG
Views:	988
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	73929   Click image for larger version

Name:	Art Tech P-51D Mustang3.JPG
Views:	957
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	73930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Art Tech P-51D Mustang4.JPG
Views:	935
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	73931  

Last edited by guapoman2000; 07-29-2008 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Correcting Video Link!
Old 07-29-2008, 10:06 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Sorry guys!

I corrected the VIDEO links and you all can now click and watch the Videos without any issues!!

This ART TECH warbird is a "True" Park Flyer!!!

Enjoy!
Old 12-26-2008, 11:00 PM
Dr Kiwi
Super Contributor

What is the stock motor in this Art-tech P-51D In the manual it says only "brushless 390", and since it is in a 3:1 gearbox, I assume it is an inrunner (what diameter). If someone could be more specific on the stock motor I'm sure we could come up with a more potent replacement which would suit the stock gearbox.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:30 PM
H&Q

??
Old 08-29-2009, 02:20 AM
RacerX

HECK YEAH!

I bought one for my son (Drake Everlove... Watch for him, he is 13 and already one of the best pilots on our field. We will start showing up at airshows soon... Oh yeah, pardon the sameless bragging, it's my job).

He swears by the thing. I have seen him do some amazing things with it...

The airplane rolls like a Makita drill. Triple loops no sweat, wing overs, hammerheads, avalanches, blenders... NO PROB. He says it doesn't knife edge too well though, but he can do it, it just loses altitude.

By contrast my PZ Gunfighter is a nice plane and is more suited to my somewhat crashy piloting skills, but nowhere as nimble. For starters the A-T 'stang has a pretty narrow semi symetrical wing with a heck of a lot of control authority (for instance the ailerons are approx an inch longer than the Parkzone AND the wing is a bit shorter). The Gunfighter rolls like a bike with square wheels out of the box and loses altitude fast without a lot of elevator compensation, but I digress....

Additionally, the Art Tech horizontal and vert stabs are much thinner than the ParkZone... Overall the A-T P-51 is lighter giving it a higher ceiling and better responsiveness.

Tnray is right though, it is realllllly sensitive so get her up high before you start pushing the stick around too much.

Have fun!
Old 08-29-2009, 02:21 AM
RacerX

Oh... Getting parts seems to be an issue though... Apparently, the hillside miraculously just jumped up 10 feet & we busted the motor mount...

Waaaa