3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

Parkzone typhoon 2 3d

Old 05-22-2008, 11:15 AM
humboldt guy

Typhoon is flying great, winds have been above 20 mph last 2 days so no flying. Called Horizon about my fried esc, they want me to send the bad one before they'll send a new one! Oh well, at least I had the spare one so I could get flying. Really enjoying this plane now, can't wait for the wind to die down some.
Old 05-25-2008, 02:49 PM
humboldt guy

Well the howling winds of spring finally let up for a bit, got in 6 flights yesterday with the typhoon. Last one was interesting. I was doing some tight outside loops when the plane started doing loose outside loops without my permission. Worked the elevator a bit with no response, just continued outside loops. HMMM how am I going to land this? Tried rolling right side up, of course the plane looped outside to a lower altitude. Dang, getting low and nervous! At the bottom of the next loop I killed throttle and just settled in for a nice, nose high wings level landing on the roof, just like I meant to do that! (gee dad that was fun let's do it again! No son, I can't afford another stroke.) A couple of months ago I'm sure I would have totally froze and thunked it good! Casually stroll up to the plane, no damage at all. Turns out my battery came loose and bumped the rx, knocking the elevator lead out, leaving elevator about 20% down. (note to self; make SURE battery is velcroed in real tight during preflight!). Looks like even better weather today, more fun!
Old 05-25-2008, 06:43 PM
pstrdenver

That's funny! My friend just told me of a similar story with his new Phoon. He rolled and out comes his battery from about ten feet. Dented the corner pretty good he said.

VELCRO IS YOUR FRIEND!
Old 05-29-2008, 10:35 AM
humboldt guy

Ok now this velcro strap thing for the battery is getting tiresome. Doing tight outside loops (flips my flying bud calls em) the battery pulled loose again, busted through the canopy and was hanging out of the plane holding it inverted! I might have been able to roll upright, but I didn't want to stress the battery connection any further, so I just followed the path of least resistance. Again had to pull of an impromptu inverted landing, had to rush it to avoid landing on a roadway. Busted up the nose and firewall pretty good this time, I will attempt repair but I ordered a new fuse anyhow. I need a new method of securing the battery. I have a couple of ideas brewing, anyone who has a proven solution that will handle high outside g forces I'd love to hear from. To be continued.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:43 PM
pstrdenver

I have never had this happen, th ebattery ejecting like this. Maybe replace your worn velcro. One thing that is different in mine is that there is velcor on my batteries because I use them in other planes. Maybe that is what is helping.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:52 PM
cjshaker

My battery has never ejected, either, even during my crash landings. I did cut the
tips off my velcro straps, because they were too long.

Chris Shaker
Old 05-30-2008, 04:06 PM
humboldt guy

I cut the tips off mine also. And my battery never ejected during crashes, only doing this one maneuver repeatedly. I'll probably go ahead and put a strip of velcro on my batteries, that should work. Meanwhile I've got my trusty Trojan to enjoy!
Old 06-04-2008, 05:53 PM
Mysterious

Question....... did any of you get a Typhoon that did NOT have something blow-up/fry/die in the first 10 flights?
Old 06-05-2008, 01:53 AM
pstrdenver

Originally Posted by mysterious View Post
question....... Did Any Of You Get A Typhoon That Did Not Have Something Blow-up/fry/die In The First 10 Flights?
Great Question!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-05-2008, 08:51 AM
humboldt guy

Originally Posted by Mysterious View Post
Question....... did any of you get a Typhoon that did NOT have something blow-up/fry/die in the first 10 flights?
I heard of a guy, who knew someone whose 3rd cousin had a friend in Eastern Slobotnik who got one with no electrical problems, but I can't confirm that.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:56 PM
Mysterious

Originally Posted by humboldt guy View Post
I heard of a guy, who knew someone whose 3rd cousin had a friend in Eastern Slobotnik who got one with no electrical problems, but I can't confirm that.

LOL Yah, I think I dated her cousins sisters aunt daughter one time.

Smartass
Old 06-05-2008, 03:00 PM
fresbill
I Can Fly Inverted :)

I was hoping for some responses to the affirmative on this subject.

"T2 good, electronics bad."

So buy the T2 PNP, use your own tx & rx, and replace what?

Thanks,

Bill
Old 06-06-2008, 02:21 PM
humboldt guy

Mainly esc, some folks suspect the digital servos might be the problem, but seeing as my Trojan uses the same servos and has never had a problem in 335 flights, IMO it's a bad batch of esc's. I could be wrong, that happened once before. LOL
Old 06-06-2008, 03:19 PM
Mysterious

the airflow thing I think is it as mentioned before
Old 06-07-2008, 07:47 AM
humboldt guy

Yes, opening the nose up for more airflow can't be bad.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:32 AM
humboldt guy

Default motor shaft busted!

Dang! Motor shaft has busted on my Typhoon 2. Probably due to a hard prop strike during a rough field takeoff, it broke in flight right behind the pinion. Winds were strong and it broke while I was flying downwind, over some RR tracks and across a roadway. Had to trade altitude for speed to deadstick it into the wind back to the flying field, just cleared the roadway! (Phew! ). I will send it to Horizon and hope they are kind enough to send a replacement. If they don't replace it, I will probably look to upgrade it. Any ideas on a suitable upgrade? I would kind of like to go to a direct drive, but any ideas welcome! Back to my Trojan for a while, things could be worse!
Old 07-02-2008, 09:53 PM
B_Cazo

I love my Phoon 2, its deffinately a jump up from my "gentle lady" (glider). I've got 10 flights, with minor operator error.... one power line (my favorite cause it recovered at full power and took off verticle), one truck hood, and one less then soft dig in the dirt. Now I'm dealing with the ESC nightmeres. It started with zero power at about 150 feet, no biggie cause the Phoon glided in without a problem. I did a quick assessment and noticed the ESC was glitching bad, the motor was geeking and ended up spinning backwards, taking the prop and nut right off the shaft. Called Horizon, sent it in, they sent me a new one (almost 2 weeks later) installed it, powered up fine. Just to make sure I tried it again.. and "here we go again." The motor spun the prop right off. Glad I wasnt airborn... A buddy told me that my ESC might need programing, my response was "HUH?". Any suggestions?
Old 07-03-2008, 07:37 AM
humboldt guy

Well the esc should come programmed from Horizon. I believe there is a section in the Typhoon manual (or is it the Trojan manual?) regarding programming of the esc. I like my Typhoon also, however compared to my Trojan it has had lots of down time...1st esc was bad, one servo went bad, then my motor shaft broke! I had a couple of prop strikes during ugly air to ground transition, but nothing too serious (IMO). But the motor shaft is pretty small. I'm awaiting new motor from Horizon, however I may purchase a Park 400 inrunner and install that. I checked out the dimensions, it is a perfect fit into the stock gearbox, and I believe it would constitute a significant upgrade. Meantime, the Typhoon has been grounded for about 2 1/2 weeks, and I'm itching to get it airborne again! I've got about 50 flights in around the faulty equipment problems. Meanwhile I've now accrued 400 flights on my Trojan with nothing but a bit of structural damage which was easily and quickly repaired...sigh...love my Trojan but I want to practice that rad 3D stuff! Good Luck with yours.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:44 AM
humboldt guy

Angry

Well after sending in my motor with busted shaft to Horizon 2 weeks ago, I received the replacement motor today... except the motor is for an F27C! aaaaaaarrrrggghhhh! I will see if my LHS will exchange for maybe a Park 400 inrunner, which is a perfect fit for the Typhoon gearbox. Maybe this will work out after all, I just wanna get the thing airborne again!
Old 07-07-2008, 08:40 AM
humboldt guy

oops

Last edited by humboldt guy; 07-07-2008 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:55 AM
humboldt guy

SEE PREVIOUS POST; So my LHS swapped the F-27 motor for a Park 400 inrunner, I installed today. Motor shaft on the Park 400 is a little smaller than the stock motor's (I hope it's tougher steel!) and the pinions included with the Park 400 didn't mesh with the gearbox, so I used CA to glue the stock pinion to the shaft. Got her out for a test flight, and the plane leaped off the ground in 3 ft. at 60% throttle, went vertical, then as I increased throttle the pinion gear slipped on the shaft. Dang. Had other stuff to do, so I will try again tomorrow (errr, later today..darn graveyard shift!). I may use some epoxy or liquid-weld (I posted a request for suggestions in the power systems forum, awaiting replies) to secure the pinion this time. I need more flying time to be sure, but after the initial flight the Park 400 seems to be a significant upgrade in terms of power, and I'm looking forward to today's flying. I'll post results for those interested. P.S. I used some white lithium grease in the gearbox per e-flite recommendations, it makes for a quieter, smoother whine and is supposed to improve gearbox/pinion/motor life. Sure doesn't hurt!
Old 07-07-2008, 09:02 AM
humboldt guy

Regarding esc failure in the Typhoon, I think another factor is the long servo arms connected to huge control surfaces, plus long control throws create more strain on the servo's, and in turn the esc...just a theory, and in any case it still helps to increase airflow...I've opened up my cowl as much as possible without it falling apart! Also I'm leaving my spinner off. A little ugly, but you can't really tell up in the air. Plus it's not as ugly as smoked esc!
Old 07-07-2008, 01:47 PM
B_Cazo

Default Phoon ESC

I wish PZ would have given a little more detail in the manual for programing the ESC, I'm pretty sure that a majority of my problems had to do with the motor brake. I found the E-flite manual and programing went smooth. I set the ESC and have regained control of the motor, no more glitching. I wanted to fly this weekend, just a bit windy and didn't feel like dodging fireworks (yet it was tempting). Everything seems to be a go, I'm dying to get back in the air, its been almost 3 weeks. humboldt do you have any suggestions on slow speed low altitude manuvers? I'm building confidence at altitude (100+ft). As soon as I get home I'm gonna put some lithium in the gears, your right about the servo arms pushing more then neccessary, gotta look into that too. I'll let you know how everything works out, I'm looking to put a camera on there too, if so I'll post some pix. Thanks for the help!
Old 07-11-2008, 02:43 PM
B_Cazo

Well, I guess I didn't fix it... :'( I took off, got to 75 feet and motor stopped, throttled down, and back up, regained power for 5 seconds and then it stopped again. I put it down soft and went to call Horizon. I'm shipping it back today and they are going to send me a new one upon arrival. I have no idea what the problem is, the ESC is the only explainable issue but after replacing it, its just not making sense. The motor seems good but I don't have a way of testing it without using a ESC. Im glad I got a good rep from Horizon who was sympathedic to my position. I hope my next one will be worry free for a little bit, I've been dying to hover it at low altitude!
Old 07-25-2008, 07:26 AM
humboldt guy

I modded my Typhoon by putting a 480 BL from my spare trojan in it, using an APC 12x6 thin electric prop, some Hitec hs 81's for the ailerons and hinge taping all the control hinges, plus cutting some vents in the cowl to keep the motor cool. Motor fits in perfect using a Trojan motor mount drilled to fit the firewall. Plane is a different beast now, lots more powerful and smooth. A blast to fly!

Quick Reply: Parkzone typhoon 2 3d

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10986 seconds with 11 queries