Go Back  WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > 3D Flying
Reload this Page >

Can't decide -- Typhoon 2 or Flatout Flatana or Yak 55 3D

3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

Can't decide -- Typhoon 2 or Flatout Flatana or Yak 55 3D

Old 06-04-2008, 06:36 PM
Mysterious

Question Can't decide -- Typhoon 2 or Flatout Flatana or Yak 55 3D

Hi all,
Looking for advice/feedback... new to rcs... bought 2 helis a month ago (esky lama v4 and Belt CP) and am really liking playing with them... but I still want at least 1 airplane. I wanted to do RTF if possible, and if not, ARF with the total cost to put it together no higher than $250-300. I want something that's light but powerful so I can 3D, slow-fly and just monkey around in the local park....... my top 3 current choices are below

Flatana Flatout
http://www.electrifly.com/flatouts/gpma1111.html
Typhoon 2 3d (RTF)
http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdID=PKZ4300
Yak 55 3D
http://www.electrifly.com/parkflyers/gpma1190.html

The Flatana looks fun & cool, but I worry about it being really flimsy, that and so light that even a little wind will blow it all over the place

The Typhoon 2 seems to have the punch and 3D power/performance and is RTF but there's a lot of reports of escs, servos, etc dying/frying/etc

The Yak 55 3D is in 3rd place, a close 3rd, it seems good for 3D, slow fly and such but I'm not sure how much power its got

I'd kinda light the choice to be able to take off normal/land on wheels & hand launch but thats a small aspect........

Anyone got opinions on what to buy and why? And good experiences or horror stories? Feel free to rank them in your suggested buy order...... any replies wpuld be appreciated.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:07 PM
SkunkyMagoo
Newborn Rotorhead

1. Have you ever flown an aileron plane before? I would not suggest any of these if not.

2. I have flown both the typhoon2 and the yak 55 and they are both great. You can setup the yak for much cheaper than the typhoon though. The typhoon is also available in PNP so if you already have a radio you can save almost $100 there.

3. I have never had a problem with my typhoon electronics. I have 3 parkzone planes with the same ESC (ef 25) and have never had a problem in either. The styker c goes 80mph and uses that esc no problem. I think the people with problems had the t-28 and typhoon with the digital servos that are kinda power hungry.

4. With the typhoon you can hand launch or take off the ground, I do underhanded launches on mine almost every flight, then land on the wheels.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:11 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

I would skip the Flatouts planes, I haven't heard much good from them...

I own the Great Planes Yak 55 3d (original one) not the Flightflex... Its fun with a turnagy 28x30x1050kv brushless setup, but hovering and Knife edges are extreemly hard on this perticular one but it will slowfly real good and it loves to fly inverted.... I love the size of it... and it will do some great (mild) acrobatics here's a sample of me flying it... I don't know why I don't have better footage... its Kinda slow and boring filming... this plane will do much better... [media]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7181972319791661160[/media]

I was contemplating getting the Typhoon2 parts and putting one togeather with a brushless outrunner setup...but I looked it up and it was 39 inch wingspan, For a light 3d Foamy I like 33" size or less... anything bigger is just too big for my tastes...
SK
Old 06-04-2008, 07:13 PM
Mysterious

Never had a rc plane of any kind but i've been using real flight for several months and can fly quite good... I know its not the same as real life, my helis are teaching me that lesson (NO not the wall! LOL) but I'm confident I can learn on any of these 3 and deal with whatever mishaps occur... I'm a quick study.

Doesn't every Typhoon 2 have digital servos?

How slow can you "slo-fly the typhoon? Like can you throttle down and just kind cruise back and forth fairly comfortably like you can with the light flatout?

How do you find the Yak for just flying around back and forth with a little wind? OK?
Old 06-04-2008, 07:15 PM
Mysterious

Originally Posted by ministeve2003 View Post
I would skip the Flatouts planes, I haven't heard much good from them...

I own the Great Planes Yak 55 3d (original one) not the Flightflex... Its fun with a turnagy 28x30x1050kv brushless setup, but hovering and Knife edges are extreemly hard on this perticular one but it will slowfly real good and it loves to fly inverted.... I love the size of it... and it will do some great (mild) acrobatics here's a sample of me flying it... I don't know why I don't have better footage... its Kinda slow and boring filming... this plane will do much better... [media]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7181972319791661160[/media]

I was contemplating getting the Typhoon2 parts and putting one togeather with a brushless outrunner setup...but I looked it up and it was 39 inch wingspan, For a light 3d Foamy I like 33" size or less... anything bigger is just too big for my tastes...
SK
Can you repost that google video link? It errored in your post, thanks!
Old 06-04-2008, 07:17 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Slowfly is prob your number one thing to look for if flying at a park.... Landing where you want to is much easyier...
SK
Old 06-04-2008, 07:18 PM
SkunkyMagoo
Newborn Rotorhead

Yes they all have digital servos, but I would really not worry about it.

It will fly very slow, or you can pick up some speed. Two props are included one for speed aerobatics and one for 3d aerobatics.

I think the typhoon will perform a little better in winds just due to the size and airfoil.

But either plane is a good choice.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:22 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

I'll do one better... I found a much better video of it... this is acurate to how mine flys with my 28x30x1050 turnagy 9x3.8 prop
[media]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8733493778341069198&[/media]
SK

Last edited by ministeve2003; 06-04-2008 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:27 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

I've flown my Yak55 in 25mph wind no problem... I even maidened it in 25mph...lol

If you can fly a belt Cp heli, you can fly a airplane... heli's are much harder... just remember to start out with a lot of space on a non windy day, and use low rates...
SK
Old 06-04-2008, 07:39 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

hey mark, brink your typhoon out next week so I can get a look at it...
SK
Old 06-04-2008, 08:05 PM
Mysterious

I've flown my Yak55 in 25mph wind no problem... I even maidened it in 25mph...lol

If you can fly a belt Cp heli, you can fly a airplane... heli's are much harder... just remember to start out with a lot of space on a non windy day, and use low rates...
SK
well, i'm learning on my belt cp 2 batteries and some hovering so far lol
Old 06-04-2008, 09:14 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

video's are posting strange...some html problem... If you click on the new one, and click on left side of video block, it will show my video, but if you click bottom of play button it will show the other video...
SK
Old 06-05-2008, 09:01 AM
humboldt guy

I know the Typhoon is great in the wind, 20+mph is not much problem. Although my Trojan never had any esc issues, my Tyhpoon blew it's esc on the 7th flight. Horizon seems to be getting picky about replacing esc's, they made me send mine back w/ the sales receipt. I think too many people took advantage when they were just shipping em' out without exchange. But I'm happy with mine, it is a TOUGH bird!
Old 06-05-2008, 09:45 AM
buzkil
For love of flight

The typoon is a good flying plane. I used it to actually learn how to fly an RC plane on. But that was me, quess I had the nack for it. I did crash it a few times and a little hot glue and all was well. My ESC did burn up awhile after I had it. I think the reason they burn up is that there is literly no air flow to cool it down. When I replaced the ESC I wallowd out the cavity were it sits and widend both the intake and the outlet holes for better air flow. From doing this my ESC now gets adiquit air flow now. If you do get a typoon I would recomend looking at this first it may save you an ESC.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:53 PM
Mysterious

Originally Posted by humboldt guy View Post
I know the Typhoon is great in the wind, 20+mph is not much problem. Although my Trojan never had any esc issues, my Tyhpoon blew it's esc on the 7th flight. Horizon seems to be getting picky about replacing esc's, they made me send mine back w/ the sales receipt. I think too many people took advantage when they were just shipping em' out without exchange. But I'm happy with mine, it is a TOUGH bird!
Did you have to pay to ship the dead ESC to them or did they cover that cost?
Old 06-05-2008, 01:54 PM
Mysterious

Originally Posted by buzkil View Post
I think the reason they burn up is that there is literly no air flow to cool it down. When I replaced the ESC I wallowd out the cavity were it sits and widend both the intake and the outlet holes for better air flow. From doing this my ESC now gets adiquit air flow now. If you do get a typoon I would recomend looking at this first it may save you an ESC.
Great tip, I'll keep that in mind.... you've had no more issues since doing that?
Old 06-06-2008, 03:55 AM
buzkil
For love of flight

Originally Posted by Mysterious View Post
Great tip, I'll keep that in mind.... you've had no more issues since doing that?
So far so good!!
Old 06-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Mysterious

cool... how many flights have u done? a lot?
Old 06-06-2008, 03:32 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Well, I'm late to this thread, but here are my thoughts:

Flatana Flatout
http://www.electrifly.com/flatouts/gpma1111.html
Extremely flimsy material -- the only thing these airplanes are good for is using as a template to cut out the same airplane on a sheet of 6mm Depron.

Typhoon 2 3d (RTF)
I've never flown one, but I know the ParkZone brand very well... The electronics are sub-par (which is okay, but ParkZone charges high-end prices for their sub-par electronics). The airframes are extremely heavy, when compared to competitors products. The airframes are extremely flimsy (can not survive a crash), when compared to competitors products. The only ParkZone exception to the ParkZone rule is the Stryker.

Yak 55 3D
I've never flown one, but of the three, I would choose this one. The only drawback to this airplane is the BRUSHED motor... :o

I hope you are doing well with your purchase!
Old 06-06-2008, 04:41 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Originally Posted by Lieutenant Loughead View Post
Yak 55 3D
I've never flown one, but of the three, I would choose this one. The only drawback to this airplane is the BRUSHED motor... :o

I hope you are doing well with your purchase!
Ahh, Yes I forgot It came with a brushed motor... I never used the brushed motor, I setup mine with a $20 turnagy 28x30x1050kv brushless outrunner, $13 30amp towerpro esc, $3.50 each - 3 hxt900 servos... 9x3.8prop
SK
Old 06-06-2008, 04:45 PM
SkunkyMagoo
Newborn Rotorhead

Well, I'm late to this thread, but here are my thoughts:

Typhoon 2 3d (RTF)
I've never flown one, but I know the ParkZone brand very well... The electronics are sub-par (which is okay, but ParkZone charges high-end prices for their sub-par electronics). The airframes are extremely heavy, when compared to competitors products. The airframes are extremely flimsy (can not survive a crash), when compared to competitors products. The only ParkZone exception to the ParkZone rule is the Stryker.

Solid Z-Foam, flimsy? This plane will survive a crash EASILY. It also has a 26oz flying weight, for a 40" WS this is not heavy by any means I have observed.

I think the problem here is comparing PROFILE planes to a full fuse design.

And the Stryker comes with the SAME electronics as the Typhoon :P
Old 06-06-2008, 04:52 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Originally Posted by SkunkyMagoo View Post
Solid Z-Foam, flimsy? This plane will survive a crash EASILY. It also has a 26oz flying weight, for a 40" WS this is not heavy by any means I have observed.
I disagree. The airframe IS flimsy, and 26 ounces is MONSTEROUSLY heavy -- a 3D airplane that size shouldn't weigh more than 18-20 ounces.

Think of it this way -- if an airplane is 6 to 8 ounces heavier than it should be, then that's another 6 to 8 ounces of weight it must overcome when hovering. That equates to higher amp draws, hotter components, and shorter flight times.

I think the problem here is comparing PROFILE planes to a full fuse design.
No -- I'm not comparing it to profile planes... :o

And the Stryker comes with the SAME electronics as the Typhoon :P
Yeah, I was talking more about the airframe than anything else. The Stryker airframe is really durable (though the paint comes off much too easily -- they should really do something to seal the paint better).

Again, I'm not bashing their electronics... I've never had a problem with ANY ParkZone electronics -- not even the 27MHz radios! My beef is with the PRICE of those electronics.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:56 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Ps, My stryker lasted 2 flights... burned esc (my own cheap esc), Nose Dive, Bent front beyond repair... not to say that a strykers weak or anything but I never "expect" a plane to crash well... maybe take a bumpy landing, but thats about it... thats also why I like thick wire landing gear they take a bit of abuse,

I would also put trojan in Parkzone's "exeption" rule

SK
Old 06-06-2008, 05:06 PM
SkunkyMagoo
Newborn Rotorhead

I disagree. The airframe IS flimsy, and 26 ounces is MONSTEROUSLY heavy -- a 3D airplane that size shouldn't weigh more than 18-20 ounces.

Think of it this way -- if an airplane is 6 to 8 ounces heavier than it should be, then that's another 6 to 8 ounces of weight it must overcome when hovering. That equates to higher amp draws, hotter components, and shorter flight times.
Really? I do not think it is flimsy one bit. The ONLY part of the plane that IS semi-flimsy is the v-stab, but the same can be said for many planes. It is also not just a 3D plane, it is an aerobatic plane that can perform 3D and has MORE than enough power to do so at its size. Its power system is designed for its size.

For what is is worth I crashed the CRAP out of mine and the only repair to be done was to tape over the aileron!

No -- I'm not comparing it to profile planes... :o
The flatout and yak are not profile?

Yeah, I was talking more about the airframe than anything else. The Stryker airframe is really durable (though the paint comes off much too easily -- they should really do something to seal the paint better).

Again, I'm not bashing their electronics... I've never had a problem with ANY ParkZone electronics -- not even the 27MHz radios! My beef is with the PRICE of those electronics.
The stryker, is an 80mph plane, of course it has a stiff wing. It is only due to the huge spar, it is the SAME foam as the Typhoon.

Never had a problem with my electronics either Although the only pz bird I have that is stock is the Typhoon.

Also I am not defending PZ or calling favorites, I just dont want any false truths out here when it is someone elses money we are talking about. But to each his own as well!
Old 06-06-2008, 05:27 PM
Mysterious

Ahh, Yes I forgot It came with a brushed motor... I never used the brushed motor, I setup mine with a $20 turnagy 28x30x1050kv brushless outrunner, $13 30amp towerpro esc, $3.50 each - 3 hxt900 servos... 9x3.8prop
SK
I was wondering that.. so u just invested $50 upfront on the the thing....

out of curiousity, how come u didn't fly the brushed til it burnt up and then upgraded?

Quick Reply: Can't decide -- Typhoon 2 or Flatout Flatana or Yak 55 3D

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14257 seconds with 10 queries