Go Back  WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > 3D Flying
Reload this Page >

Can't decide -- Typhoon 2 or Flatout Flatana or Yak 55 3D

3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

Can't decide -- Typhoon 2 or Flatout Flatana or Yak 55 3D

Old 06-07-2008, 05:56 PM
Mysterious

Originally Posted by foo View Post
I vote for the gp yak-55.I have one and I enjoy it,it's my windy day plane.I flew it with the power setup that came with it and it did well.Now I have a uf-b-6-10 in it and it does fine,I use 2 or 3 cell paks in it depending on my mood.I did add a landing gear to it ,I hate belly landers.Since I have out,in runners brushed motors and gearboxs I'm not chosey about power plants. Thank you.
how'd u attach the landing gear?
Old 06-07-2008, 07:58 PM
foo

I used a set of lg mounts from some extra parts that I had from several gws war birds kits,like those used in the zero or mousetang and put them in the wing next to the spar and made some legs out of 1/16 mw.I fly off a hard surface and being 74 years young I do not like to walk too far.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:40 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Originally Posted by Lieutenant Loughead View Post
Well, now, wait a moment...

When you needed to repair your 3 PZ planes, what kind of accident did you have? Would an E-Flite, or GWS airplane have survived the punishment better?

Also, maybe it's just me, but if you need to use packing tape to repair an airplane to a "nice solid condition", maybe the airplane isn't solid to begin with!
I'd Like to requote what he said....
"I've abused my 3 PZ planes a great deal"
...lol
Old 06-08-2008, 06:43 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

I've thought about putting Landing gear on mine, Could you post a picture, I got some goofy wheels from hobbycity, yellow hubs with sea green/blue foam, I think they would look cool on it... right now I just have a thin Wood Strip all down the bottom of it...
SK
Old 06-08-2008, 08:29 PM
foo

Sorry I have no digtal camera,I only spend money on needed r/c stuff.I just went out about 4.5 in.from the body and put the gear mount just ahead of the spar.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:37 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

eh...not even a camera phone?...lol
SK
Old 06-08-2008, 11:22 PM
foo

No cell phone,just aland line.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:10 AM
buzkil
For love of flight

Originally Posted by Mysterious View Post
cool... how many flights have u done? a lot?
Quite a few flights, both with landing gear and without.

I have to dissagree about the flimsy part, I've nosed her in from about 12' foot and all that happend was the battery hold down popped out of the foam. A little hot glue and it was as good as new. I had a few crashes where the motor mount popped out of the foam and you guessed it, a little hot glue, good as new.

The being heavy part, maybe, but the plane pulls verticle stright from your hand. No need to toss. The only downside I can see of the typoon would be it's imposible to balance it with the battery or at lest the battery that I have. It just barley fits into the compartment.

Like I said, I picked this plane to learn to fly on and the few crashes that have happend, the plane has been very forgiving. Except for the ESC burning up.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:42 AM
humboldt guy

Originally Posted by Lieutenant Loughead View Post
Well, now, wait a moment...

When you needed to repair your 3 PZ planes, what kind of accident did you have? Would an E-Flite, or GWS airplane have survived the punishment better?

Also, maybe it's just me, but if you need to use packing tape to repair an airplane to a "nice solid condition", maybe the airplane isn't solid to begin with!
I've only owned the PZ planes, so I can't speak firsthand about e-flite or gws, only the ones I've seen on the repair table at my LHS and friends planes, and what I've seen is not any more durable than mine, some less so. I have given all my planes some hard knocks (see nose plant from 40') that would have done at least as much damage to any foam plane, and would have resulted in a surplus of toothpicks with a built up plane, and have not had to invest in new parts or intensive repairs to make them fly as good as new. Anyhow, I personally have no complaints about the durability of my planes. Hopefully I've gotten the worst of these crashes out of my system! Enjoy your flying!
Old 06-09-2008, 02:01 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Well, take it from someone who has flown ParkZone airplanes, GWS airplanes, and E-Flite airplanes -- the ParkZone airplanes can not survive nearly the crashes that GWS or E-Flite airplanes can survive.

Now, I must admit, I have not flown the Trojan, or the Typhoon 2 -- and as I said before, the Stryker seems to be very resilient. So there IS at lease one exception to the rule.

Last edited by Lieutenant Loughead; 06-09-2008 at 02:28 PM. Reason: spelling :o
Old 06-13-2008, 07:42 PM
Eganwp

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35708