Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Spectrum DX6 vs. DX6i

Old 06-04-2014, 06:35 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Cool

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Why the hate? On top of what AEAJR pointed out, what does the release of the new Dx6 have to do with Orange rx's? They can't be used with it? And I'm pretty sure there's a lot more to it that voice and more models. Have you checked it out? I'm not saying everyone should love Spektrum, everyone has their own preferences as they should, but why do they seem to be such hate magnets?
It seems likely that unloco2 did not understand that the DX6 discussed in this thread, the one that really started the 2.4 GHz revolution is not the same radio that Spektrum just announced.

I figured there would be confusion when the recycled the name.

I am sure the Orange receivers will work with it just fine.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:55 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by unloco2 View Post
The DX6 is a marketing ploy designed to reduce the HK orange receiver purchases and lead you to the more expensive AR6000
Well they sure went about it a strange way
  • First the AR6000 has been out of production for many years so you couldn't buy one if you wanted one
  • Second the new DX6 wont even work with the AR6000 receiver so I'm not sure how it's going to lead anyone to it?
  • Third the DX6 is fully compatible with all Orange DSM2 / DSMX receivers, so if anything should boost Orange sales not reduce them.

Might want to check your facts before flaming.

Possibly you meant AR600, which I think is being bundled with all new DX6 transmitters?..
Give it a little while and it will come as a Tx only offering. It's not unusual to do the initial release of new Tx models with receivers bundled in. Yes this is a marketing ploy to shift receivers but you always have the option of waiting or buying another brand if you don't like it. Or you could always choose to sell the Rx on eBay
Old 06-04-2014, 08:03 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Why the hate? On top of what AEAJR pointed out, what does the release of the new Dx6 have to do with Orange rx's? They can't be used with it? And I'm pretty sure there's a lot more to it that voice and more models. Have you checked it out? I'm not saying everyone should love Spektrum, everyone has their own preferences as they should, but why do they seem to be such hate magnets?
I'm sure those Orange, Lemon, Green, and what ever color receivers work just fine.

As for me, all of my Kilowatt sized models are running Spektrum receivers with the Spektrum DX8 transmitter. Even the one Foamie I've got has a Spektrum $29.99 AR400 receiver in it.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...rodID=SPMAR400

IMHO, it doesn't make a lot of sense to put in a $10 receiver in a giant scale model worth over 100 times that value.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:12 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

I also tend to stick with genuine Spektrum on my big value stuff out of caution. Truth is though that those cheapo receivers from Orange and Lemon do appear to be just as reliable as the real thing. Just because they cost $10 doesn't necessarily mean they aren't as good as a receiver costing 29.99 (or more).
Old 06-04-2014, 09:38 PM
quorneng
Super Contributor

There is nothing stopping you binding two (or more) receivers to the same model number on a DX6i. It is just they will have the same characteristics - just like they do on a DX6 or any pre computer Tx come to that.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:49 AM
Beemerider

One of our club members just bought the new DX6. Makes me almost want to throw rocks at my DX7s.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:03 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Bear in mind this is a six year old thread that someone dragged back from oblivion. The DX6 that the thread originally referred to was the old DSM DX6 that preceded the DX6i.

This thread is probably another example why having very old long dead threads be blocked for further reply might not be a bad idea.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:23 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
I also tend to stick with genuine Spektrum on my big value stuff out of caution. Truth is though that those cheapo receivers from Orange and Lemon do appear to be just as reliable as the real thing. Just because they cost $10 doesn't necessarily mean they aren't as good as a receiver costing 29.99 (or more).

+1 on the Lemons. I've ranged tested them against Spektrum and they're great. The RCG forum is extensive with the vendor listening. A lot of super techies endorsing them.

Not afraid to use them in any of my planes including the Deuces Wild , EMB 312 Tucano or Piper Cherokee. The new versions now include a case. Very nice. Just ordered a 7 channel DSMX w/ stabilizer for $19.00.

After nearly a year of trials, I'm over the initial nervousness.