RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

DX6i Throttle hold/ignition switch

Old 10-03-2008, 04:49 PM
Super7fly

Default DX6i Throttle hold/ignition switch

Greetings all,

Is there any way for me to program a switch on my dx6i, so that when activated, it will not allow power to the motor?

This is so I can leave this switch on/off untill just before I want to take off, in case i nudge the throttle by accident.

I've forum searched and google searched and so far been unsucessful, except for one result on google saying it couldn't be done.

Can anyone shed some light on the situation for me?

BTW, there is custom mixing avaliable on the dx6i, but I have been so far unable to manage to make it at as a throttle hold or ignition switch.

Cheers
Old 10-03-2008, 04:58 PM
Twmaster

The feature you are looking for in your manual/programming menu is called Throttle Hold. It should be set to the default value of -5.

Simply activate it and check for switch assignment and you should be set.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:09 PM
Super7fly

Oh, sorry forgot to mention.

I'm using the transmitter to fly a plane, not a heli, so the throttle hold switch is not automatically assigned.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:26 PM
Ken Croft

Originally Posted by Super7fly View Post
Oh, sorry forgot to mention.

I'm using the transmitter to fly a plane, not a heli, so the throttle hold switch is not automatically assigned.
Why not just switch the transmitter off as I do? The Spektrum receiver just sits there perfectly safely doing nothing until you power up the transmitter.
cheers
Ken
Old 10-11-2008, 07:09 PM
pilotpete2
Pilotpete2

Hi All,
First, let me say that Ken's idea is quite good, in fact since going completely 2.4, I've taken to doing just that immediately after landing, both with wet power (after killing engine) and with my electrics, amazing how much longer your Tx battery lasts when you don't put it down while retrieving the model, then forget and leave it powered up while you take a coffee break, or tea time.
But back to the throttle lock. The DX6i does have two programmable mixes and it looks like you could make up a throttle to throttle mix, now with my Futaba and Airtronics you set the mix rate to -100% both for up stick and down stick and offset to 0%. As to switch assignment, I don't have a DX6i to play with, but if you try making the mix, if at all possible use a spare servo plugged into the throttle channel, first observe the servo movement without the mix, then check to see that the servo goes to the throttle off position when the mix is activated, if bassakwards change the rates to +100% for both up and down. If you do use the motor to test it out, please make sure to remove the prop.
Best of luck,
Pete
Old 02-21-2012, 05:49 AM
debay777

NOOOO!!!!! kens idea is bad. very very bad. 2.4 is much more reliable than FM and AM radios but they are not bullet proof. Not by any means. My spektrum radio has fired up on the bench numerous times with my transmitter off. not only that but it ran WOT for 5-10 seconds until I could secure the plane, make the prop safe and then try and turn on the radio. A 900kv motor turning an 11x8 prop is no toy and is not something you want running loose in your house or in your shop. If your benching your bird or heli, take the prop off or turn on the throttle lock. More people are killed by buns that "were not loaded" than by ones that are actually loaded and known to be hot. Once that prop takes your fingers off or shreds your face its too late. When is it ever a good idea to not be as safe as humanly possible.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:55 AM
squidger

According to Spektrum model match with the tx turned off the throttle channel on the receiver is inhibited.So you should never have a situation where your motor turns unless the tx is on, selected to the correct model and throttle is advanced. Having said that It is not good practice to have a receiver powered up with the tx off.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:21 AM
squidger

I read it in the manual somewhere. It's a failsafe which is part of the Spektrum model match system.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:33 PM
pmullen503
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by squidger View Post
I read it in the manual somewhere. It's a failsafe which is part of the Spektrum model match system.
Might be able to mix throttle with flap switch to offset it far enough so that when the flap switch is down the throttle is offset enough to not allow it to start the motor if the stick is accidently bumped.

Always safer to disconnect the battery.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:28 PM
Crusader10

While I have not used it on my new DX6i, on page 11 of the manual, there is a
"Throttle Cut" option for airplanes that will "remove the power to the electric motor".
Granted this is a push button and not a toggle switch, I would think, when the opition is activated, and the button pushed, it would prevent power to the motor.

Regarding turning off the DX6i while the reciever is powered up, I think that is a bad idea. Granted, I am a new owner of a DX6i, however yesterday a flying friend of mine and I did this, and found that neither of our transmitters wouldn't "talk" to the receivers when turned back on, unless we disconnected and reconnected the receiver battery.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:35 PM
pyroarch57

You could just affix a decent rubber band at the base of tx and loop it over the throttle stick. It works well, i did it for a mate.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:40 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Crusader10 View Post
Regarding turning off the DX6i while the reciever is powered up, I think that is a bad idea. Granted, I am a new owner of a DX6i, however yesterday a flying friend of mine and I did this, and found that neither of our transmitters wouldn't "talk" to the receivers when turned back on, unless we disconnected and reconnected the receiver battery.
Yeah
I've run into that with my Spektrum DX7 and AR7000 receivers. My guess is if the receiver is turned on, and doesn't find its "Bound" transmitter within a certain period of time, it times out, and won't connect.

Other wattflyer readers comments?
Old 02-28-2012, 06:21 PM
pmullen503
Super Contributor

The Thro Cut button is hard wired into the firmware to set the thro channel to a negative value when active and pressed. Maybe you could replace the push button with a toggle switch and that's all you'd need.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:21 PM
squidger

If you really must have a switch to cut the throttle why not just set your model up as a heli with a single servo 90 degree swash. Everything else will work as normal for aircraft and your throttle cut off switch would then be active. I use these settings on Phoenix and can fly both helis and fixed wing and the throttle cut off works for both.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:32 PM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

When it's set for heli mode, do you still have access to wing mixes and other airplane programming pages?
Old 02-28-2012, 11:31 PM
squidger

Thats a good point. I havn't had a dx6i for a long while now so not sure.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:43 PM
squidger

Just checked my DX8. You can select throttle cut in airplane mode and assign it to any switch. So if you want a throttle hold in airplane mode get a DX8. Simples.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:17 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by squidger View Post
Just checked my DX8. You can select throttle cut in airplane mode and assign it to any switch. So if you want a throttle hold in airplane mode get a DX8. Simples.
Yup
Same for my DX7 transmitters.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:01 AM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Can't re-assign it on the 6i.