RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

DX6i ModelMatch fault

Old 10-06-2008, 06:19 PM
Tony Oliver

Default DX6i ModelMatch fault

I have a DX6i which is on its way back to Horizon UK due to a strange problem I discovered which may affect others. It seems it is a recently found fault only in some transmitters. In many cases it will not yet have shown up, or been recognised if you haven't reached model memory 9 and 10. Tech agents have the updated software to remedy it.

What happens is that on model memory 9 and 10, the Model Match system does not work and both memory channels will operate the other's model.
What this means is that if, for example, you have a model with normal throws and direction on Model 9, you can bind with no problems and the settings will be stored as normal. You can fly that model safely.The same thing with Model 10 - but you could have elevator reversed and possibly aileron reversed (or any other setting not the same as model 9) - you can bind and settings will be stored in memory, again, as usual. You can fly that model safely too. In both cases the bind light is solid.However if you forget to change the model memory after using the other, you will lose the 'it won't do anything because Model match won't let you' capability. The bind light will again be solid but will not be recognised as the wrong model. The consequences are that you can waggle the sticks, not realise things are reversed from what you expect, and there's another model to be repaired or binned.

Of course, if you resolutely check that 'up' really is 'up and that all controls are working in the correct sense, then you still will not have a problem. We all do that all the time of course.

I discovered all this when I was checking out two AR500 receivers prior to putting them in aircraft. We checked with a DX7i transmitter in case the receivers were in some way faulty and that worked them perfectly - lockout totally when the wrong model was tried.

In fact the AR500 receivers are excellent and do exactly as it says on the box.

What I suggest any DX6i owners do is test model numbers 9 and 10 to see if they both work the other model from either number. (eg test Model Number 9 after selection of model number 10 on the tx and vice versa).

Apart from this, I am delighted with the gear.

Good luck!
Old 10-06-2008, 07:32 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

Thanks for the warning.

This isn't the first software bug in the DX6i. I know of two others:

1) you cannot mix the throttle channel as a slave so it's not easy to do differential thrust (or at all that I've found)
2) If you click and roll the wheel during a model download it is sometimes possible (or was) to overwrite another model's settings. My first DX6i had this problem but it's been replaced because of a broken switch.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:05 PM
BEC
Bernard Cawley

Originally Posted by Tony Oliver View Post
Of course, if you resolutely check that 'up' really is 'up and that all controls are working in the correct sense, then you still will not have a problem. We all do that all the time of course.
This of course SHOULD be standard operating procedure for a computer radio with multiple memories (or any transmitter, really). But most of us have to crash a couple of times before we form the habit. A mixed blessing of this "model match" feature that it theoretically obviates the need to do this.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:22 PM
Tony Oliver

Old habits die hard BEC. I still do it, which is how I came to discover the present anomaly in the programming. I suppose it will be a habit hard to break, but for newcomers that habit may not form. I don't remember any instructions with the DX6i for example suggesting you check the correct sense of movement before flying.

Still, progress demands different thinking and often good practise goes out of the window for no good reason. People training newcomers may find it a useful reminder to keep using the older ideas in at least this situation. Even if it seems pointless at first.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:03 PM
Tony Oliver

An update!

I took the DX6i tx back to my local model shop on Tuesday morning. This afternoon - Thursday - while slopesoaring, my mobile (cellphone in the US?) rang. It was my wife telling me to call at the shop to pick up my transmitter. It's been reprogrammed.

How is that for instant service! Horizon here in the UK have a good reputation. They tick the right boxes for me!
Old 10-09-2008, 08:30 PM
Tony Oliver

I've now done some testing on the various model numbers and tested adjacent ones against each other and they all work faultlessly.

Job done.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:24 AM
pvtzemerak
3D Huckifyer!

Man, i thought the dx6i was "perfect".
Good luck with your fix, hopes this dosnt happen with mine.
~pvt
Old 10-10-2008, 08:55 AM
Tony Oliver

Good luck with yours PVT!

The point is though, it wasn't something which 'happened' after I got it, rather it was a programmed-in error. There must be a reasonable amount of them out there, which is why I started the thread.

I think everyone should check test their gear by setting up and bind , say, memory 10 with a model they have, then go back to memory 9 and see if it operates the model still. If so, then it needs to be reprogrammed.

Not everyone will ever get as far as having all ten memories in use, but it's better to get it fixed now rather than after any warranty expires.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:51 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

I've got 2 DX6i's both have this problem. Dohh.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:25 PM
Tony Oliver

Sorry to reply late constantCrash - I've just got back from the Dortmund model show and am furiously catching up on my emails.

It's not all 'doom and gloom' if you have no modelmatch facility on those channels as they still work. It could even be very useful if you have a few models which all work roughly in the same way. I have four basic slope soarers for example which have all servos operating in the same sense for each control channel. As I am an old-time modeller, I set up models using similar amounts of throw on each control so there could be a minor change of, say, elevator trim on any given model but it will still fly safely. That would extend the number of models able to be flown from a ten channel memory. I only thought of that angle after mine was reprogrammed. I am quite sure I could have lived comfortably without the last two on 'ModelMatch'.

As things turn out, my wife bought me a DX7 outfit for my 'significant' birthday this year. As it has 20 memories, that's solved my aircraft problem. The DX6i is now for my boats (no intention of having 10 of them, and rarely need more than 5 channels on a boat anyway, never mind 6).