Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Is e-flight good or can I go for prefered makes

Old 10-15-2008, 11:00 AM
Shaggy

Default Is e-flight good or can I go for prefered makes

Hello, I have a new plane its from e-flight its the AT-6 a really nice plane, now the setup it surgests is all its own stuff, but I have had no experenice with this so does any one know any reason why i should not just put in my prefered kit which is Dualsky and it is a bit cheeper
Old 10-15-2008, 12:09 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

E-Flite makes fine products but using other brand names products is no problem. As long as you are producing the recommended power/thrust then the plane and the air could care less who makes the stuff.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:14 PM
Gnascher
Got My TX - Need 2 Fly!

Agreed. E-Flite stuff is good, but spendy. Of course they recommend their own equipment ... they've tested their planes with it and know what combos work well. And then ... of course ... they're also motivated by lining their own pockets.

You can use off-brand equipment and get more bang for your buck. In many cases you can go through multiple sets of components and still not have spent more money than if you used the E-flite equivalent.

I've had great success with everything I've tried from blackdogrc.com and headsuprc.com.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:15 PM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Originally Posted by Gnascher View Post
Agreed. E-Flite stuff is good, but spendy. Of course they recommend their own equipment ... they've tested their planes with it and know what combos work well. And then ... of course ... they're also motivated by lining their own pockets.

You can use off-brand equipment and get more bang for your buck. In many cases you can go through multiple sets of components and still not have spent more money than if you used the E-flite equivalent.

I've had great success with everything I've tried from blackdogrc.com and headsuprc.com.
Yep, just like GP and other brand names, they are charging an excess for brand recognition, for decent stuff, but still no better than some others that are considerably less in cost. At least in Eflite's case, I haven't seen any junk yet, such as Elecrifly batts. I actually bought 2 Eflite batts which did perform at the 20C advertised.

One thing to look at in the case of motors, is the mounting. I used a less expensive Electrifly outrunner in an Eflite plane. I believe Eflite uses a 4 bolt mounting scheme, partly to separate themselves from 3 bolt motors. The mounting is also on the rear versus the front, which makes other motors require shaft reversal to use the Eflite motor mount. At the end of the day, I probably would have just forked up the loot for their motor, versus the effort of making another brand fit.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:52 PM
Twmaster

Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
One thing to look at in the case of motors, is the mounting. I used a less expensive Electrifly outrunner in an Eflite plane. I believe Eflite uses a 4 bolt mounting scheme, partly to separate themselves from 3 bolt motors. The mounting is also on the rear versus the front, which makes other motors require shaft reversal to use the Eflite motor mount. At the end of the day, I probably would have just forked up the loot for their motor, versus the effort of making another brand fit.
Actually it's the other way around...

GP uses a non-standard 3 point mount. E-Flite outrunners for the most part mimic AXi motors. Some of their parts even interchange.

As others have said E-Flite does make good products. Also as said you pay for that quality in the form of higher prices for their wares.

I'm a fan of Dualsky motors and fly them in a couple of planes. Could not be happier.

You may need to use spacers to get a Dualsky motor to fit the AT-6 correctly. Otherwise as pointed out choose a motor with similar specs to the called for E-Flite and you'll be fine.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:33 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Originally Posted by Twmaster View Post
Actually it's the other way around...

GP uses a non-standard 3 point mount. E-Flite outrunners for the most part mimic AXi motors. Some of their parts even interchange.

As others have said E-Flite does make good products. Also as said you pay for that quality in the form of higher prices for their wares.

I'm a fan of Dualsky motors and fly them in a couple of planes. Could not be happier.

You may need to use spacers to get a Dualsky motor to fit the AT-6 correctly. Otherwise as pointed out choose a motor with similar specs to the called for E-Flite and you'll be fine.
and be good at bashing motors in place.
I just picked up one of those cute little Eflite SE5As today. Like I need another airplane. I had a small outrunner that BP sells (got from LHS) which was not immediately compatible with the Eflite carbon tube mount, which CA glues over the rear hub of the Eflite 250 motor. Well I took the mount off of the motor I had, and the rear hub was the same dia as the Eflite carbon tube. A short section of 5/16" ID steel automotive fuel tubing made the perfect sleeve to go across them.

I almost just went with the 3-point mount on the outrunner I had, but I decided that if Eflite already had the ideal thrust angles worked out, then I'd be better off mounting my motor with their configuration.
Maybe we'll have to start some threads on motor bashing methods for various planes/motors out there?

Amazing how many motors have following the AXI numbering system too.