General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Good plane for wind and grass landings...

Old 11-28-2008, 12:17 AM
shanet1975

Default Good plane for wind and grass landings...

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!
I have been flying my super cub (not the best in any wind conditions) and a tower hobbies 40 trainer nitro for a little bit. I am going to go all electric. The 2 guys I fly with are sticking with nitro as the field we fly at is usually fairly windy and there is kind of short grass to take off and land. I have posted on here a few times and am going to buy the turnigy chatger from hobby city and 3cell 1300 mah (I think) lipos and was going to start with that. I'm looking for a plane or planes that I can fly in some wind and be able to take off and land from grass. Will I have to get into the bigger electrics with the bigger lipos for that?
I am quite new to this whole thing. Would I be better satying nitro? I have quite the hard time tuning them, especially with the 30 degree weather we are having and like the fact that electric is so clean and just plug and go....I was looking at:
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/160522.asp
with
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...3.8_Prop_Combo
but am not sure if that can handle the wind too well and the wheels look awefully small for grass. Any help would be greatly appreciated.....
Old 11-28-2008, 12:23 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

for grass and wind, you're looking for something that's a belly lander, with little wind resistance.

Something like the Parkzone Stryker would match your requirements rather well.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:32 AM
Mayday!Mayday!

Thats funny, I read the first post and thought.-
When all the other planes are grounded and others are too "iffy" to fly, I get out the stryker and take to the sky.

Second that opinion.
Mega 16/15/4
4 cell 2200 mah 20c
45 amp CC Pheniox
3 amp BEC
HS-81's

The thing is with a flat delta, you cut through the wind like its not there. Or if windy enough, pull slowly to a high alpha and "kite".
This is one of the only planes I will fly in almost any mph winds.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:56 AM
RayPB
What a great hobby!

Originally Posted by shanet1975 View Post
Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!
I have been flying my super cub (not the best in any wind conditions) and a tower hobbies 40 trainer nitro for a little bit. I am going to go all electric. The 2 guys I fly with are sticking with nitro as the field we fly at is usually fairly windy and there is kind of short grass to take off and land. I have posted on here a few times and am going to buy the turnigy chatger from hobby city and 3cell 1300 mah (I think) lipos and was going to start with that. I'm looking for a plane or planes that I can fly in some wind and be able to take off and land from grass. Will I have to get into the bigger electrics with the bigger lipos for that?
I am quite new to this whole thing. Would I be better satying nitro? I have quite the hard time tuning them, especially with the 30 degree weather we are having and like the fact that electric is so clean and just plug and go....I was looking at:
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/160522.asp
with
but am not sure if that can handle the wind too well and the wheels look awefully small for grass. Any help would be greatly appreciated.....
I fly a SuperFly from SuperflyRC.com. It will fly in any wind and is a belly lander. The EPP foam from which it is made is very tough, and, when you do dork it in and break something, very easy to mend with hot glue. Bring a 12-volt hot glue gun to the field, and you can do whatever repairs you need to do right at the field. Ray
Old 11-28-2008, 01:08 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

the superfly is another excellent choice.

very well respected by the people who one them.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:36 AM
shanet1975

Thanks for the replies. That superfly does look really nice.....
I will definitely look into that. Are there any other, not sure how to put this, typical planes that would work as well? I mean any other planes that look like a regular plane? Would that stick plane I linked to handle any wind?
Don't mean to sound too much like a newbie but what does this mean: 'pull slowly to a high alpha and "kite".'
Old 11-28-2008, 12:03 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

high alpha is when you bring the nose of the plane up, but control the power, so you're not climbing, but pushing the plane forward, with the nose high in the air.

kiting is allowing the wind to hold the plane in one place. as far as the plane's concerned, it's moving forward through the air, but it is actually stationary in relation to the ground.

there are some "plane looking planes" that would handle higher winds, but they tend to be fast flying, twitchy planes. your stick plane would handle some wind, but not nearly as much as the delta style (flying wings) would. the wheels on the plane you showed, are WAY too small for any sort of grass field. putting larger wheels on, merely increases your drag, and makes it harder to control in high winds.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:08 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

The Airfoilz planes boast being able to handle 15-20MPH winds.

http://www.airfoilz.com/extra260/index.html
Old 11-28-2008, 12:13 PM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Originally Posted by smokejohnson View Post
The Airfoilz planes boast being able to handle 15-20MPH winds.

http://www.airfoilz.com/extra260/index.html
That's true. I forgot about them. The flat foamies seem to work very well in the wind. I found that surprising.

http://www.shop.depronwest.com/categ...?categoryId=28

Frank
Old 11-28-2008, 12:15 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

I thought about something like that James, but at his skill level, I am not sure if he would do well with such an acrobatic plane. It will be trying in calm weather, add wind... That large profile surface of the fuse would tend to weathervane the plane, and if you're not a good 4 ch flyer, that will bite you in any wind.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:19 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

You're right Fred, that's true.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:07 PM
jb48

I have been flying my super cub (not the best in any wind conditions) and a tower hobbies 40 trainer nitro for a little bit. I am going to go all electric.

It may seem unbelievable, but the best all weather plane we found to date in our club is the Easy Star Special, which means an Easy Star with ailerons and a direct drive brushless inrunner (6 x 4 prop, 1800 to 2500 mAh 3S lipo, which give around 200 watts). I fly one and a friend flies another one. Two weeks ago, our rc club held the last outdoor flying session before winter. Alas, the wind was blowing steady 15 mph, gusting to 22-24mph: there were a dozen or so mostly nitro airplanes, from 40 to 80 inch wingspan, grounded because of the windy condition. You guessed it: the only planes who flew all that afternoon were our two Easy Star Specials! Our members were so impressed that two of them just ordered each one an Easy Star and brushless motors; and these guys are usually flying big scale nitro planes!
Also, you wrote that you want to go 100% electric: your Tower Trainer 40 is a good candidate for a conversion: I myself fly a Tower Trainer .40 MKII with a Turnigy 50-55 outrunner (11 x 7 3 blades for grass clearance, 60 amp esc, 4100 mAh 5S lipo): performance is better than the same plane with a good .40 2-stroke glow, flight duration is around 15 brisk flying minutes or a little over 20 minutes relaxed flying. A friend of mine plans to electrifly his Hangar 9 Alpha 40 Trainer the same way. Since 2 years now, I fly electric only and will never come back to nitro!
Old 11-28-2008, 02:57 PM
Rickochet
AMA 459572

Have you ever thought about converting your 40 size gasser to electric? At about a 5lb AUW you will have a better wind flyier than the cub. Here is a link with an article about converting a .40 size trainer. It is about 5 years old and engine and battery choices have improved but the basice info is good. I have some old gassers I am in the process of converting and using A123 batteries.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264085

Last edited by Rickochet; 11-28-2008 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Speeling :>)
Old 11-28-2008, 04:23 PM
shanet1975

Never even thought to convert the trainer. Thanks for the idea.........Thought it was too big. Would that mean I would need big lipo batteries, or would these work:
1600mAh 3S1P 20C
Also what size brushless motor would it require?
Old 11-28-2008, 04:25 PM
shanet1975

Just read the post before the last one. Looks like I would need 4100 mAh 5S lipo. Sounds $y. I'll check it out and see. Tight budget...
Old 11-28-2008, 04:33 PM
Rickochet
AMA 459572

Never even thought to convert the trainer. Thanks for the idea.........Thought it was too big. Would that mean I would need big lipo batteries, or would these work:
1600mAh 3S1P 20C
Also what size brushless motor would it require?
Bigger and heavier can equate to better handling in the wind and bigger tires for grass.

I am not a motor or battery guru but seems like when tinkering with my .40 size some recommended looking for a motor at about 100watts per lb. for all up weight of the aircraft including motor and battery(s). Larger battery packs will usually mean longer flight times. Many use batteries like the ones you have mentioned in parallel packs connected with a parallel "Y" adapter which using the battery you listed you give you 3200mAh 3S1P 20C.

There is a "Sport Planes" forum here (formerly I/C and Gas Conversions) with lots of info.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20
Old 11-28-2008, 04:36 PM
shanet1975

Thanks again!!!
Which is the preferred plane, the Stryker F27C or the Superfly. Also, what do they mean by :
radio system with
delta mixing capability
I just purchased a JR 6102 digital 72 mhz radio. It's a 6 channel. Any way to tell if it has that?
Old 11-28-2008, 04:37 PM
Rickochet
AMA 459572

Just read the post before the last one. Looks like I would need 4100 mAh 5S lipo. Sounds $y. I'll check it out and see. Tight budget...
Not necessarily. These .40 size planes are big enough to handle the heavier Nimh packs.

You can get the sub c size packs pretty reasonable at All-Battery.com

http://www.all-battery.com/nimhnicdpacks48v-60v.aspx
Old 11-28-2008, 06:01 PM
Airhead
Redneck Member

Thanks again!!!
Which is the preferred plane, the Stryker F27C or the Superfly. Also, what do they mean by :
radio system with
delta mixing capability
I just purchased a JR 6102 digital 72 mhz radio. It's a 6 channel. Any way to tell if it has that?
Hi,
Delta mixing capability is the same as v-tail mixing. When you are using ailerons in the place of a rudder and an elevator. such as would be used on a delta or flying wing.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:32 PM
airmail wf
Super Contributor

I like the M S Composit planes. I have the Blade and the BullDog. These might be a little beyond your skill level. They have a trainer that they just came out with that should be perfect for you. The Blade and Bulldog are great in the wind. I'm sure the trainer will handle the wind also. All EPP except the tail feathers are depron. Very good prices also. First class company in my opinion. No I don't work for them. I just really like there stuff. I don't really like to build that much. These planes you can put together in a couple of hours and be flying. Plus they look pretty good. Give them a try I don't think you will be sorry. Web site is mscompositusa.com

This is the trainer
http://www.mscompositusa.com/cat~--trainer.htm
Old 11-28-2008, 07:28 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Thanks again!!!
radio system with
delta mixing capability
Yep it will have it. The manual will show you how to set it up.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:44 PM
Airhead
Redneck Member

Originally Posted by airmail wf View Post
I like the M S Composit planes. I have the Blade and the BullDog. These might be a little beyond your skill level. They have a trainer that they just came out with that should be perfect for you. The Blade and Bulldog are great in the wind. I'm sure the trainer will handle the wind also. All EPP except the tail feathers are depron. Very good prices also. First class company in my opinion. No I don't work for them. I just really like there stuff. I don't really like to build that much. These planes you can put together in a couple of hours and be flying. Plus they look pretty good. Give them a try I don't think you will be sorry. Web site is mscompositusa.com

This is the trainer
http://www.mscompositusa.com/cat~--trainer.htm
Looks like a good one Airmail..
Old 11-28-2008, 08:18 PM
Mayday!Mayday!

Thanks again!!!
radio system with
delta mixing capability

If you want an opinion, the Superfly is great because the epp is dang near bullet proof--this option if you intend to crash a lot.

The stryker is also made well, the foam will repair easy, but if you nose in and compress the foam, it kinda keeps the wrinkle.

As for the JR 6102-- I own the same radio and it does have all of the mixing for planes and some for helis. If you have a problem setting it up, give me a shout(pm, e-mail) and I will help walk you through it.

It's actually easy to set up.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:54 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

I have heard absolute raving about the superfly. I would go with that.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:17 AM
shanet1975

That M S Composit planes trainer looks really good. Can't quite see if it has ailerons, but I believe I see them.....It calls for a 2 cell lipo. Can you use 3 cell lipos with this? The Superfly and Stryker also seem like really cool planes as well. Would like to be asle to use the same 3 cell batteries for both. I like the fact that the Stryker comes assembled with the servos and esc and motor, but it might be a better idea to build the Superfly instead. The MS Composit also looks really cool as long as it has ailerons. Nive price tag as well. Seems pretty cheap to throw together any plane. Would this work for that Composit trainer:

Quick Reply: Good plane for wind and grass landings...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11124 seconds with 12 queries