General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Is the stuff off hobbyking.com good stuff

Old 01-21-2009, 06:00 AM
con244

I have no issue with Hobby King. I have bought several times from them and all items were in my post box within the week. I guess it helps not having to travel half way around the world to you guys in USA. I recently found a good Australian dealer at http://www.planecrazyhobbies.com.au. He was able to supply some parts at almost t the same price as the Hobby King and the delivery was 3 days. I cannot fault his customer service either. I prefer to buy local but unfortunately finances have the last say for me.
Con
Old 10-12-2011, 04:53 PM
nasserov

I have been on RC helicopters for more than 20 years and the worst hobby shop ever has been hobby king. Stay away from them if you do not want to lose money and time.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:16 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by nasserov View Post
I have been on RC helicopters for more than 20 years and the worst hobby shop ever has been hobby king. Stay away from them if you do not want to lose money and time.
welcome to Watflyer Nasserov!! Better than Bannana Hobbie's,,but not as good as Heads-up on their best day!!bubsteve
Old 10-12-2011, 06:40 PM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

My experience is this: They have thousands of products and some are junk and some are excellent. For example, all the Zippy and Turnigy batteries I've bought from them have been excellent. The HobbyKing branded 60A ESC is another product I've had good experiences with.

Do your research before you buy and you'll be fine.

Nothing beats the customer service of HeadsUp and they're always my first choice. But there are thing they don't have and when it comes to e.g. batteries, the value is better at HK.

IMHO. YMMV. IANAL. Etc.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:05 PM
spad

Soon, the HK bully boys will wade in-very soon.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:39 PM
Henry Sistrunk

# 1 is Heads Up RC. If they don't have it Hobby King. I have placed 16 orders with them. No problems with HK or any of their products.
Henry
Old 10-12-2011, 10:41 PM
spad

Originally Posted by Gohmer View Post
Anti Hobbyking boys have already arrived. What's you beef with Hobbyking?

Don't be afraid, we'll protect you from the bad bully boys
I don't have a "beef" with HobbyKing-I'm a platinum member and five year buyer.

Nor do I need your help, but thanks for offering it.

My "beef" is with the select few who cyberbully anyone who has a complaint about HK.

Now, does that answer your question?
Old 10-13-2011, 01:05 AM
dkrhardy

Jeeez, OLD thread up from the dead!
Old 10-13-2011, 03:30 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
Jeeez, OLD thread up from the dead!
Some don't look at the date in top left .....

saying that I will make a comment .....

I made a mistake when ordering my EDF model / Rx ... and clicked on the online chat button to talk to HK sales ... it was all sorted in a few minutes. Guy was accurate and pleasant to do the biz with. Order was sorted and all happy.
I'm a Gold Member and ordered models and LiPo's etc. from them ... yes the shipping costs are quite high - but compared to some Ebay sellers ... combined price comes out usually better via HK..... and it's same gear.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:36 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by spad View Post
I don't have a "beef" with HobbyKing-I'm a platinum member and five year buyer.

Nor do I need your help, but thanks for offering it.

My "beef" is with the select few who cyberbully anyone who has a complaint about HK.

Now, does that answer your question?
Trolls happen and we all learn to ignore um soon enough,,,some are paid ( up to 2.40$ a post) and some are just nim'calm'poop's!!!!
I shopped there for years and was a Big Time Platnum member but got screwed on a RX and they were real poo-poo heads about it so I stopped shopp'in there three months later after say'in they would'nt fix the prob ( Their prob)and me say'in I'll not shop here anymore,they mailed a new RX and wondered where I'd been and "How I was do'in"
I have had folks add a idem to their orders for me but just a lipo or ESC,
I have spent 1.000$ + there in a year in the past,, but a good while back,,,,,,,,,,,bubsteve
Old 10-13-2011, 04:20 PM
spad

Good point, Steve-I wish I'd gotten that deal!
Old 10-13-2011, 04:26 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by spad View Post
Good point, Steve-I wish I'd gotten that deal!
me too my Bub!! bubsteve
Old 10-22-2011, 03:28 AM
flight01
Banned

no problem, you get what you pay
Old 10-22-2011, 09:05 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Hey, on Hobby King it's "let the buyer beware." It's your responsibility to determine the quality and usefulness of the item. If you receive an item you aren't happy with that's your problem and you accept it in return for the ridiculously low prices.
If your expectation is someone to hold your hand and protect you every step of the way you probably shouldn't be doing business with them. Me? I figure one of these days I'll order a $15 motor that will be junk and never work from the beginning. And I expect that I won't get any customer service, although I might just be surprised. And then I expect that looking at the entirety of the situation I've saved so much more than that $15 that it won't change my attitude about doing business with them.

Should a first time, unaided flier buy from Hobby King? Yes, if he doesn't plan to stay in the hobby. Otherwise, pay a little extra and buy from those hand-holding guys at Horizon or Heads Up RC. It isn't that much more and when you need 'em, they're going to make sure you're happy.

When you get a little experience you'll find the Hobby King lure irresistable! And then you'll be ready to deal intelligently with the hazards.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:22 PM
earthsciteach

Well said, Robbins!
Old 01-05-2012, 04:41 AM
Mr__scott

Default hobby king- run away

Tried them.......still no resolve for my dead copters

Got two copters. got 6 lipo batteries. 4 of them swelled and failed (ruinined) first charge with the supplied USB chargers. this was not a new problem. other members had the same problem. look under "discussion" thread once you look up this helecopter:
2.4Ghz Micro Coax Helicopter 4 Channel (RTF - Mode 1)

they contiue to sell the copters with this issue!?

Service??!?!?

-email contact from suplier to resolve issue returned this: "The error that the other server returned was: 550 550 #5.1.0 Address rejected cs-at-1hobby.com (state 14)."

-service phone (800-507-5803 on top right corner of home page) never answers (tried 3 times)

-"Live suport" is in china and they said they would get back to me, but never asked for my email (I was not logged in - they had no way of contacting me).

-They have my $100. I got burned first try.

my friend (who recomended them) uses them all the time. he has had good experience with them for many years. however, he said one time his airplane kit came without electronics inside. he tried to get help, but he had to weight the package it came in and send it back overseas to prove it really had no electronics inside. he chose to just take the loss.

I have found great service with amazon. great review tools and garentee.

Scott

Last edited by Mr__scott; 01-06-2012 at 01:30 PM. Reason: add more data
Old 01-06-2012, 01:00 AM
dkrhardy

Hmmmm ... 1st post and total problems. Many folks have had decent luck with HK, this guy ....... Batteries, plural, EXPLODED? Come on.

BS flag raised.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:33 AM
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

I pull out my dice.....give them a big roll! So far 7's and 11's

My Spad turned out very nice...took one week for delivery from China. That beats some from the west coast. I also bought (5) 2.4 orange Rx from them and so far (knock on my forehead) they have worked out very well. If I get a bad deal from them...I just have to say..I rolled the dice!
Old 01-06-2012, 02:52 AM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
Hmmmm ... 1st post and total problems. Many folks have had decent luck with HK, this guy ....... Batteries, plural, EXPLODED? Come on.

BS flag raised.
You thiiiiiink? :-) No history, no specifics => Troll.

Ok, my latest buy from HobbyKing is on someone's workbench in pretty small pieces right now, but I don't think I can blame HobbyKing for flying it straight into the sun and getting me blinded...
Old 01-06-2012, 03:06 AM
earthsciteach

I've never had a problem with anything I've ordered from HK.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:46 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

The Only problem I have had with HK is the time it can take to deliver something. The first order I made I think was before the US warehouse opened and the 2nd was from the warehouse had a problem with the delivery but was solved with Customer Service and my 3rd was just recently from the international warehouse. If you are willing to wait and are not in a rush I think everything is fine. Everything I have ordered has always come in perfect condition. Just seemed like a millennium before it arrived.

Did I mention that I tend to be inpatient as well
Old 01-06-2012, 04:14 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Xmas / New Year period is playing havoc with my gear ordered from HK .... I went online chat with them today and she was honest - they were having difficulty coping with all the holiday period orders, but my gear was definitely on it's way. No BS about wait 3 days etc. Just straight admission that they were suffering holiday blues.

I have a couple of 'moans' but at end of day - HK is my usual stop along with ebay for gear.

My moans are : a) many items only have 1 photo to assess the overall look or design. I made a bad order on a motor because front wasn't visible and turns out it cannot mount in my model. b) Delivery time .... but then again it's only marginally longer than average ebay delivery.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:21 PM
dkrhardy

Looks like he edited out the "exploded" part! But no response other than that.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:12 PM
Big Johnny
Master Of The Crash

I myself have had only good dealings with Hobby King. Like others have said Jeff at Heads up is my #1 source, but sometimes Jeff don't have what you need. I have also had excellent dealings with Nitroplanes, Hobbypartz, Toysonics. On the other hand I have had problems with Bananna Hobbies, Easy Tiger, so I avoid them like the plague. I don't expect a $250.00 Hacker Motor, when I buy one from Jeff or Hobby King for $39.99. I just got a PnP MX2 from Hobby King and I knew before I even ordered it I would have to change the servos to something a little more robust. I put the watt meter on it and with the stock Motor, ESC and 13Xsomething 3 bladed prop it was pulling 938 watts.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:17 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by Big Johnny View Post
I myself have had only good dealings with Hobby King. Like others have said Jeff at Heads up is my #1 source, but sometimes Jeff don't have what you need. I have also had excellent dealings with Nitroplanes, Hobbypartz, Toysonics. On the other hand I have had problems with Bananna Hobbies, Easy Tiger, so I avoid them like the plague. I don't expect a $250.00 Hacker Motor, when I buy one from Jeff or Hobby King for $39.99. I just got a PnP MX2 from Hobby King and I knew before I even ordered it I would have to change the servos to something a little more robust. I put the watt meter on it and with the stock Motor, ESC and 13Xsomething 3 bladed prop it was pulling 938 watts.
I could not agree more very well put. For a newbie such as myself and many others and as all of you were once. A newbie does not know a good part from a bad part, a good airplane from a bad airplane or a good company from a bad company. That is what makes forums so nice. I am able to read up on many opinions and then try to make a smart choice. I love Heads up RC however I have not had the opportunity to use his company much but I have always read good things about his company to include a recomendation from my LHS when they could not get a part i was looking for. However if I searched long and hard I bet I could finsd someone who may say "HURC screwed me!" HK is the same way. I do have issue in their timiliness but I have always got exactly what I have paid for nothing more nothing less. Bannahobby never have used them I have read both good reviews and bad from them. Unfortunatly I have read more bad then positive so I choose to not shop there. This could go on for hours and I wont ramble. Just trying to say, try to make informed decisions not quick decisions when purchasing online

Quick Reply: Is the stuff off hobbyking.com good stuff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10587 seconds with 11 queries