3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

3D Batix Extra 330 Profile Build

Old 01-25-2009, 04:12 PM
Cdr. Instigator
Pimp My Plane

Default 3D Batix Extra 330 Profile Build

As I mentioned on another thread, I was building an Extra 330 Profile. Here are some pictures of the progress. The AUW is around 15 oz. depending of the battery I use. The 28-30B should provide 32oz of thrust with the 10x4.7 slow fly prop.

As I was telling you, I trashed the plans after I had cut all the FFF parts and being lazy I didn't print them again when I realized I didn't have the carbon landing gear length at hand, so I just eye balled it. Needless to say the prop ended up being about 1/2 in. from touching the payment, that would have not worked out too good. So, I'm having to redo the landing gear by adding extensions to the carbon or just making the piano wire to wheel section longer..

Here it is ..

Prop height is a NO GO !!

Rudder control surfaces..

Landing gear

Prop .5 inches from the pavement

Redo the landing gear height..

By adding a rear rudder wheel, I think I should have better control while taxing.. and taking off.

Here are the piano wire wheel extensions to bring the prop height to about 1.5 inches from the ground vs. .5 inches that I had done at first..

I wont be able to maiden it till about 2 maybe 3 weeks from now, since I have to return the Quick Field Charger mk2 that cost 60 dollars and has a bad review from one of our own.. and order the Turnigy Accucel 6 cell at 40 dollars at hobbyking..

In the mean time I will finish it off with a paint job and just maybe, install the wireless spy camera I bought a year ago..
Old 01-25-2009, 05:22 PM
max2112
Super Contributor

Default Cool Beans!

She looks great so far, CI!

I look forward to seeing your paint scheme and reading about the maiden flight.

John
Old 01-25-2009, 08:58 PM
Cdr. Instigator
Pimp My Plane

I just finished redoing the landing gear by adding some extensions and finishing them off with skirts and wheel pants.. Here are some pictures..

Before the prop was .5 inches off the ground..

Wheel looked cheaaply made.

Parts needed..

Dry run..

Some CA and schrink tube..

Wheel Pant

Bent piano wire end over grooved balsa at outter wall

and covered with a little more balsa..

Skirts and wheel in place..

Standing tall.. Prop is now 1.25 inches of the floor..

Covered the whole shrink tube and attachment with some balsa.

Not bad for being the first time I have ever done anything like this.. and also my second airplane made..
Old 01-26-2009, 02:25 PM
Cdr. Instigator
Pimp My Plane

Freaking sweet...

Thanks Ministeve2003.. Just ordered me the Turnigy Accucel-6 50W 5A Balancer/Charger for 37.99+sh..

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7028

It'll replace my Smart Charger 2500 I burned up by my ignorance. If it's shipped as promptly as my last 200 dollar order which was delivered within 4 days from Hong Kong I'll be charging and maiden my 2 builds within a week or so... I'm again feeling as happy as a 5 year old at Christmas Eve !!

Old 01-28-2009, 12:39 AM
Cdr. Instigator
Pimp My Plane

Update..

Just rattled painted black my Extra 330.. The blue you see from the FFF I will paint yellow tomorrow.. It looked so good I just wanted to share..

Before

After.. What a difference a little paint will make..

Old 02-09-2009, 06:14 PM
jwrussell

Any updated pics on the color scheme? I happen to be doing my 300S in Black and Yellow as well and I like your scheme. Any tips on the checkerboard you did on the wing ends?
Old 02-09-2009, 07:32 PM
Cdr. Instigator
Pimp My Plane

Actually I do.. I ended with a little deviation from the original paint scheme I had in mind. I chose this...

I just thought about what would look good to me and I went with it...

Let me know what you think..

As for the checkered, I think I wend about the hardest way.. I used blue painters tape to make equal tape stripes criss crossing and then there was a lot of careful gentle cutting using the #11 exacto knife.. Too much work involved.. But, since I painted it with rattle cans... that was the only way to do it.. and I also had to covered what I didn't want over sprayed with Sundays offer page from the news paper..

It looks good though and it was what I wanted..
Old 02-09-2009, 08:13 PM
jwrussell

Kinda hard to get a good look at it, the pictures a bit dark, but I really do like what I see! I love the addition of the blue on the tail, that really sets it off. So, did you tape over the black when you did the yellow? That's pretty much how I had planned on going about it, but I may try a slightly different method involving cutting out a template on a manila folder...still playing with the concept. I'm also using spray cans (Testors) so it's the tape or a stensil, one way or 't'other.

Two other quick questions: did you bother wiping the lettering off with alcohol or the like, and where did you pick up the decals?

Great job! How does she fly?
Old 02-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Cdr. Instigator
Pimp My Plane

Originally Posted by jwrussell View Post
Kinda hard to get a good look at it, the pictures a bit dark, but I really do like what I see! I love the addition of the blue on the tail, that really sets it off. So, did you tape over the black when you did the yellow? That's pretty much how I had planned on going about it, but I may try a slightly different method involving cutting out a template on a manila folder...still playing with the concept. I'm also using spray cans (Testors) so it's the tape or a stensil, one way or 't'other.

Two other quick questions: did you bother wiping the lettering off with alcohol or the like, and where did you pick up the decals?

Great job! How does she fly?

Yes, I had to tape and cover with paper anything I didn't want painted a certain color. Painting with rattle cans gives you no alternative but, to use tape and paper. Trying to use manila templates with spray cans is going to be a task, not getting paint to get under neath the template, as you can't adjust the spray pressure..

I didn't bother wiping the Blucor writing as the paint covers all that real good. It's better to do 2 or 3 light passes, rather than one thick one.. For one, trying to cover everything in one coat makes for a tricky situation since the paint will want to run.. Light coat X2..

The logos or stickers came with the order of my Turnigy motor from Hobby City..

The maiden hasn't happened yet as I'm still waiting on my new charger from Hobby City..
Old 02-09-2009, 08:50 PM
jwrussell

Thanks for the tips! Tape it is I guess. Thanks for the quick responses, I appreciate it. Best of luck with the maiden!
Old 02-09-2009, 08:54 PM
Cdr. Instigator
Pimp My Plane

No problem, don't forget to post some pictures of your build and paint scheme.. Good luck with your maiden too..
Old 02-09-2009, 09:06 PM
jwrussell

Will do! Will be about a month before the maiden, but I'll try to get some build pictures up pretty soon.

One last question, any reason not to paint prior to fitting everything together? I was planning on painting the individual FFF parts prior to fitting together (the fuse and wing/fuse/tail section). Planned on connecting up the ailerons and the elevators, but beyond that was going to paint prior to working on electronics...
Old 02-10-2009, 12:29 AM
Cdr. Instigator
Pimp My Plane

Hahahahha.. Now you tell me!!

That would be the smart thing to do, but when I started on the Extra all I wanted was a plain foamie I could learn 3-D and just fly. Then after I finished it, it looked so good... I just had to paint it. Yes, paint it before you put it together... it'll look better I think and the masking of parts would be reduced my 1/2 at least.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:17 PM
jwrussell

Hey, I'm a complete noob at all of this, so I just figured maybe there was a reason you painted after putting it all together.

I'll post up some pics sometime later this week/weekend once I have some painting in progress/done. Mine is an Extra 300 from RCPowers web site so a bit different than yours, but not too much. Had to completely redo the rudder last night as I made about every rookie mistake possible on that one piece from putting the carbon rod in too close to the edge and for some reason that seemed good at the time, putting packing tape right where I needed to cut the 45 degree bevel.

So, here's a question for the more knowledgable. My buddy who has so graciously given me supplies to work with (and had so much faith in me he gave me absolutely NO spare materials) is unavailable right now. So that leaves me either ordering some 3mm carbon tube or using whatever happens to be lying around. Strangely enough, I happen to have some bamboo skewers that are right around 3mm. Any reason not to cut one of these and use it in the new rudder, or am I really better off with the carbon tube?

Thanks again for all the help.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:33 PM
Cdr. Instigator
Pimp My Plane

Bamboo skewers will work just as good. Go for it!!

Remember, take your time... there's no reason to rush as this only leads to mistakes and in flight those mistakes could destroy your model..
Old 12-03-2011, 08:05 PM
mariomodernwarfare

werry nice plane what a motor,esc,batery and servos hew you use?
Old 12-05-2011, 03:03 PM
Cdr. Instigator
Pimp My Plane

I used the Turnigy C2830-1050

Grayson Hobby 30Amp ECS but any similar one works.

and these 3 batteries..

9 gram servos

It flew with authority and it brought a lot of good flights and smiles. It was one of the most fun flying FFF models I have made from free plans
Old 12-05-2011, 03:46 PM
mariomodernwarfare

thanq du you ken giv me the plans of your plane? and what a propeler did you use?
Old 12-05-2011, 04:39 PM
Cdr. Instigator
Pimp My Plane

Here's the original thread on the model and plans..

Enjoy!

3D Batix Extra 330 Free plans Great plane

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=373243

Plans on post #

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=244
Old 12-05-2011, 05:09 PM
mariomodernwarfare

thanq ken you find me the parts on hobby king i wuld be happy