General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Yak 55 - For mainly general aerobatics - possibly 3D as well

Old 01-27-2015, 08:57 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Default Yak 55 - For mainly general aerobatics - possibly 3D as well

As some of you know I struggled to decide what to do with my urge to buy a Yak or Sukhoi ... I have a liking for that unique round front and flight ability of them ...

So after being convinced by some of our more experienced WF members - I compromised their advice with my stupidity and bought :

ZH Yak55 EP ARF 44.4inch (EU Warehouse)1 US$86.06
Turnigy TGY-9018MG Metal Gear Servo 2.5kg/13g/0.10 (EU warehouse)4 US$5.25
HobbyKing HK15148B Digital Servo 19g / 2.8kg / 0.14s (EU Warehouse)2 US$4.37

ShipmentRegistered (Tracking) Parcel - Netherlands to Latvia US$18.45
TaxesUS$0.00

TotalUS$134.25

Not such a bad deal I reckon ... I already have a load of 3S 2200 LiPo's from my helis and a couple of spare Rx's ... might even add a Stabiliser Gyro just for the hell of it !!

Anyway - this is first post in what will be the 'put together the bits' review and then maiden flight when I get home - hopefully next few days.

Why did I choose this one ?

I'm getting a bit tired of foam jobs - great for most models - but I have grown a liking for the new style of lightweight wood construction. Ok - I still look at it and compare to 20 - 30yrs ago with slab sides, thick formers etc. - but we were running mostly glow then and thinking was to absorb that power ... Now it's structural design and spread it ... keeping framework light.
I couldn't find a Sukhoi for similar money ... and what I did was basically uninspiring ! This looked a treat and was big enough to have 'presence' but still easily transported. It will compliment my larger Extra and Skymaster along with the Pitts nicely. Plus it's electric making it 'convenient'.

I'm in no illusion that it will be unlimited 3D ... my Extra is destined along with my Zlin 50 for that. But I do expect it to perform a reasonable amount.

Boy am I looking forward to it !!

Here she is again for those who missed my earlier babble about it here :

Cheers
Nigel
Old 01-27-2015, 10:26 AM
Ronald86

nice Yak dude.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:31 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Ronald86 View Post
nice Yak dude.
Tks ... I hope it lives up to my expectations !

Nigel
Old 02-01-2015, 02:55 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

OK photos to follow of what came in the box.

First thing I note - motor has rear X mount but front is a 3 screw prop adaptor face. This does not fit the supplied motor box.

The motor has to be rear mounted.

I have scanned the motor box and will construct own to take the rear X mount motor. It will be shorter than original.

Nigel

Last edited by solentlife; 02-01-2015 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:06 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

What came out of box is actually initially looking pretty good ...

Covering edges all seem to be down ok ... all seems to e in good condition - no immediate damage evident.

As suspected this is the Hyperion smaller brother of the biggie seen on Youtube.

First I need to make that new motor mount so the 3842 can slip in there ...

Nigel
Old 02-01-2015, 07:20 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

In the end I decided to do same as I did with the Mig 3 ..... swapped shaft round but is means no circlip .... Its ok actually as the main can is locked to the shaft by grubscrews and thrust is now pulling can ONTO the stator ...

So lets get on with it ... !!

Nigel
Old 02-01-2015, 07:57 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Nigel,

It looks very nice.

Probably at risk of trying to teach my granny to suck eggs, but you might want to run some CA along all the joins on the motor box and around the landing gear attachments. Both these areas are often weak points on ARF's, so a little extra glue doesn't go amiss.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:00 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

So wings ... and as its an electric job .. I'll go with the suppplied CA hinges .. I'm not a fan of them I admit.

The Hobby King HK15148B servos are too small to the slots, are metal geared ... and I do now want to add extra beams so should do the job ok.

This I will ponder on before going further ...

Nigel
Old 02-02-2015, 12:05 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

Very close resemblance to HKs Sukhoi 29 which I have. I also use those servos in it and they are great.
I strengthened the wing seats, battery box and landing gear mounting plate. One day I had a bumpy landing and it broke clean in half behind the wing and on inspection there was no strength there so I repaired it with extra stringers and plates.
All good and flying again.
The Sukhoi has a larger cockpit and square vertical fin but apart from that looks much the same as the Yak.
Have fun mate.

Where it broke... Note that I had already pro-actively fitted an extra balsa former there but it still wasn't enough.

Repaired

Last edited by Panther; 02-02-2015 at 12:20 AM.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:38 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Nigel,

It looks very nice.

Probably at risk of trying to teach my granny to suck eggs, but you might want to run some CA along all the joins on the motor box and around the landing gear attachments. Both these areas are often weak points on ARF's, so a little extra glue doesn't go amiss.
No worries, already done.

I'm trying to stay with boxes parts as supplied as far as possible. That way anyone else thinking about this model will have a good idea what to expect. Too many reviews dive or into personalized modifications.

Nigel
Old 02-02-2015, 06:49 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Decided I will stick with servos I have and add small correction plates.

I will also use split servos at rear for elevator, as the Turning 9018MG are a lot smaller / lighter than the designed slot size. This will give me better control.

More to follow.

Nigel
Old 02-02-2015, 08:06 AM
BroncoSquid
Workin on it...

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post

The story of my life, I need to make this photo my Avatar here at WF! Nigel, can I steal it?
Old 02-02-2015, 10:29 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Nigel,

It looks very nice.

+1 More glue at weak areas Glad that your making the saddle box stronger too, that is a weak area on ARFs, I like Balsa planes too, better than foam, but both foam and balsa planes have their place I always make my first flight with a Foam plane to bust the rust before flying my balsa planes Dont forget That I get to do the Maiden Flight on your new Yak LOL Take care and have Fun, Chellie
Old 02-02-2015, 01:09 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by BroncoSquid View Post
The story of my life, I need to make this photo my Avatar here at WF! Nigel, can I steal it?
No worries ...

The motor is obviously designed to have a bolted on prop adaptor but none provided.

Nigel
Old 02-02-2015, 04:42 PM
Porcia83

Originally Posted by BroncoSquid View Post
omg...so I'm not the only one. Hate when this happens, especially when the motor the manf sometimes suggests isn't available, and there doesn't seem to be a set industry wide agreement on motor sizing etc.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:46 PM
Porcia83

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Tks ... I hope it lives up to my expectations !

Nigel
Not typically a fan of the sport and 3D model planes, but this one is my all time fav. Just love the simple clean lines and the bubble canopy. I think Tower just came out with one too. I don't see to many giant scale ones either. mostly 40-55 inch range.

Good luck on your build.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:46 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

OK ... this is a strange beast ....

The tail servos slots are strange size if you want to fir recc'd ! So I ended up making ply plates to fit mine :

So ended up with split Tgy Metal gear 9gr on elevators due to lack of depth in fuselage - backs butted up to each other.
And the Turnigy 9018MG on rudder.

Wing locating pegs not in kit ... so made my own out of bamboo ..

Tail stab in place .. all measure up fine ... glued in place and it's got slight twist ! Luckily only sllight ... but it's there. Not much I can do about it ...

Starting to come together ..

One thing - the instructions are for the original Hyperion and differ in a few places to this ... but nothing that would be a problem. But one detail that they don't show - which way up the motor mount box !
Here's the correct - after I fiited and measured up..

Fitting servos ... the string trick ...

Centering up servos with Tester :

So getting on ...

Main legs are too short for the 13" prop ... so ordered replacement longer CF set ... While waiting may fly her on smaller prop ... They say she flies on 10" ... so maybe ...

Nigel
Old 02-02-2015, 08:31 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Now the bit I hate .... balancing with Lipo ... fitting control rods ... Rx etc.

Ready for final bits :

And underside is good contrast ..

That's a 10x6 prop on there at moment ... with wheels she can take a 12" ... but I've ordered some 11x7's ... see what they do on that motor.

I can actually build up that U/C block to give another 1/2" actually ... as the plate is set well into the fuselage. Foam block with lite-ply plate would keep it very light.

Nigel
Old 02-03-2015, 02:52 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

So fitting out :

First we need a Rx tray :

That is from 6mm Depron and epoxied onto lower fuselage rails. It also provides a little more stiffening for no weight.

Rx is a 7ch FrSky ....

ESC is a Turnigy Trust 45A with SBEC

Battery tested with : Turnigy 2200 mAh 3S 25C

AUW excluding LiPo : 985gr
AUW including 2200 3S LiPo : 1180gr

Wattmeter results with 10x6 TGS sport prop :

Amps WOT : 25A
Volts WOT : 10.3V (Lipo is at storage level so this figure is low as a result)

Vertical test : She will rise out of hand - but there is not a great margin ... a better charged battery and the 11" prop will sort that.

CoG has come out at 90mm back fromn L/E of wing ... manual states 85mm.

Wife getting in on the act ... (note the Wattflyer decals !)

Just sorting a profile foam Snoopy pilot ...

Nigel
Old 02-03-2015, 09:14 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Annoyed ! I decided to try digital again after having to swap out servos on my Extra. The aileron servos here being much smaller and I thought maybe .....

Well one is fine, but the other jitters. Now I know guys who actually fly with jitters ... they reckon once flying - the airflow keeps it sorted .. and even when they do 3d - they reckon they are moving all surfaces all time that they have no problem.
I'll try the friction trick ... see if that cures it .... I've ordered the analogue versions today ... so maybe they arrive before I maiden ...
We had snow all day today ... so its a bit deep to go trudging around at moment !

Lets see what weathers like next day or so ...

Nigel
Old 02-10-2015, 08:11 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Well took her out today ......

Stuck a 3s 2200 in her .... opened throttle and she flew like a bird !

Balance was as rear as you'd go but made her really responsive. For a first flight I was careful just to see her fly.
Gave her a full throttle blast and canopy blew off ! Fell at my feet ! Landed put it back on ... took of again ....

Very happy ! Motor on a 10*6 prop gives just over 1:1 .... so waiting for 11*7 to put on there .... I also have 11*5.5 's coming.

Sadly video is not so good .... as model seems too far away most of the time and lens angle was too high ...

The second flight - the engine mount pulled away .... even though I had run CA round it all. 5 min epoxy has sorted that better.

Off to Malta for short job .... looking fwd to getting back and flying her again.

Nigel
Old 02-21-2015, 12:57 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Short hand test to see thrust and power numbers .....

2200 3S 25C ..... 11x7 APC prop on the 3542 Turnigy ..... WOT = 32A steady ... ~350W ..... and vertical pull is amazing !

I think she will be fun !!

Combined with my Extra re-engine with the ASP 91 4Str ... I'm in for some good times I reckon !!

Nigel
Old 03-01-2015, 06:35 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Well I knew I should not have flown her on a rough field ... plus my too hard a landing !!

But Epoxy at home and a supply of 2mm Lite-Ply saved her ... She's all back ready to go again.

Sadly my 91 4Str. in the Extra blew internally while running on ground ... doing a tank more for running in ... now subject of HK warranty claim. I've ordered a 61 2Str to replace it as the 61 should give a bit more flexibility ... the 91 if they replace will be fitted later.

Nigel
Old 03-03-2015, 06:58 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Today - weather was real crap !! Snow then rain ...

So I sat there looking at the Yak .... and that out of alignment tail annoys me ...

Out with the Dremel ... select the engraving bit ..... I cut into the tail to fuselage joint both sides under and over the stabs ... Cut some thin card and inserted into the joint under one side to 'tip' the stabs level to match wing. Liberal dose of thin CA to fix it all again ... She now has a perfect aligned tail and you'd really have to look closely to see work had been done.

She's had an extra magnet fitted to hold the canopy ... sliver of card to level the stabs .... thin LitePly doubler to motor mount .... epoxy run round motor box and its mount ..... sheet depron shelf added behind wing spar tube to carry RX etc. : These are the only modifications apart from repairs.

Nigel
Old 03-03-2015, 07:15 PM
Wrongway-Feldman

I've never owned a plane of this nature but after following your build im thinking hard about getting one myself. Nice work on the build.

Quick Reply: Yak 55 - For mainly general aerobatics - possibly 3D as well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14852 seconds with 10 queries