General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Don't know about other areas but COVID-19

Old 03-18-2020, 12:46 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Default Don't know about other areas but COVID-19

This may just put the dampeners on many Flying meetings and Club do's ..... with many countries advising not to congregate people etc.

Wonder how many meetings will be cancelled ?

Don't get me wrong - better to cancel than risk spreading it further.
Old 03-18-2020, 02:59 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

My club has cancelled all events through May. Winter time is our show season as it's too hot in the summer. This has affected 4 upcoming events. We also have our club meetings at the field on the first Saturday of each month, and these have been cancelled through September (we normally don't have them from June to September).
Old 03-18-2020, 05:16 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

One of my clubs has it's meeting at a local restaurant, they will be cancelled as in our state, Washington, they have closed all restaurants and many other businesses across the state.
The other club has it's meetings at a fire station, I am sure they will be cancelled also.

At least they haven't closed the flying fields.
Old 03-18-2020, 06:48 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Its a topic between myself and guys I fly with .... looks like most will just go flying and if there's a lot of people - not usual - then its just keep a bit of distance. Its the bigger meets where we do village displays etc. - they are in serious doubt now.
Old 03-18-2020, 09:15 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Our flying field remains open for normal flying, but we have cancelled 3 upcoming events there, and we were also supposed to have a display at an open house at the local airport which also got cancelled. But there is a jet rally this weekend at a field down in Tucson that I will still be going to as they have decided that the show must go on. The field is in an extremely isolated area in the southern Arizona desert about 20 miles east of Tucson proper, so the event staff feel they can still put on the event.
Old 03-19-2020, 01:50 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Curious to see if SEFF gets cancelled. Neighbor and I fly as much as we can at a local park.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:19 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Our flying field remains open for normal flying, but we have cancelled 3 upcoming events there, and we were also supposed to have a display at an open house at the local airport which also got cancelled. But there is a jet rally this weekend at a field down in Tucson that I will still be going to as they have decided that the show must go on. The field is in an extremely isolated area in the southern Arizona desert about 20 miles east of Tucson proper, so the event staff feel they can still put on the event.
Do you not feel that is a bit risky ? The community at the field in Tucson may be clear - but with visitors descending on the field - it could bring it in ... and who's to know who may already have it there but not declared ?
it only takes one error and away it goes .... which is part of the reason its spread so quickly around the world.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:15 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

[yt]
[/yt]

Local authority just cleared an area near my house ready for residential development ..... this was of course before our Lockdown !! So I do not expect much to happen with the land - so it may just prove to be my own local flying area !!
Old 03-20-2020, 10:52 PM
Panther
Super Contributor

Things are getting serious in Aussie mainly because people won't listen to orders from the Govment. Idiots still packing popular beaches and not self isolating etc. Just foolishness.
Our country flying field is still open and guys are very aware. I am going flying today but have told the club it may be my last time for several months until it sorts itself out.
Besides my wife suffers from OCD and anxiety in situations like this and I respect her concerns and in fact I agree with her on this one. It is no joke to be taken lightly.
Hope you guys can manage to get your fixes without taking risks.
Treat it like a long Winter and do some building.
Best wishes to all of you.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:35 AM
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

Just hover your helicopter over your head and germs can't even come close.
Excellent safety measure.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:26 AM
stah
Gravity still wins....

Originally Posted by ron_van_sommeren View Post
Just hover your helicopter over your head and germs can't even come close.
Excellent safety measure.
Yes but.... I don’t even fly ‘copters 😢😜
Old 04-10-2020, 02:23 AM
Pilot Error
Phi Crasha Planea

All our local parks are ordered closed this week. Our field is in a park....

April club meeting was cancelled.

Good time to keep building I guess....
Old 05-29-2020, 06:49 AM
John_C

Our club is just about to open a booking, at least a good news
Old 05-29-2020, 11:36 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Its a risky business ... on one hand business has to restart ... life has to start getting back to routine ... but a second wave could be generated by any of them.

As time goes on and restrictions continue - people will relax and not follow the limits as closely ...

I'm lucky that I have access to a field that there are only so far 2 others who fly there. The club field is a lot further away and TBH - no better. I do miss the ex Soviet Airbase ... but that's a significant drive distance ... and with meetings restricted in how many people etc. - I don't really feel inclined to do the drive.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:35 PM
quorneng
Super Contributor

I too have the luxury of a local field but with the current fine weather it is also a very popular sunbathing spot so with folk 'socially distancing' all over it I cannot fly.
I note that some commentators are pointing out the S Korea, who achieved by far the best results in keeping Covid 19 at bay, are still having to fight outbreaks.
Until a vaccine is found, or only those with natural immunity are left! this epidemic is not going away.
Old 05-29-2020, 03:55 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Was at Father in Law funeral yesterday and the Chapel had tape markers for 2m spacing for people to stand. Russian chapels are standing areas.

I am not certain - but I think max number of people allowed in at one time was 10.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:47 PM
Panther
Super Contributor

Pretty much back to normal with our club now. Usually about 10-12 people turn up. Just maintain reasonable social distancing, i.e. not in each others faces.
Visitors are now allowed at the club again, not that we get many.
We also have 3 new members which is great. Pushed one prospective out the gate as he was an idiot. We are not desperate for members here. LOL
New plane and 'motor' to maiden today.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:53 PM
Panther
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by quorneng View Post
I too have the luxury of a local field but with the current fine weather it is also a very popular sunbathing spot so with folk 'socially distancing' all over it I cannot fly.
I note that some commentators are pointing out the S Korea, who achieved by far the best results in keeping Covid 19 at bay, are still having to fight outbreaks.
Until a vaccine is found, or only those with natural immunity are left! this epidemic is not going away.
Interesting that those with O type blood are more resistant to Covid 19. Lucky my wife and I are O type.
Old 06-22-2020, 08:49 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi Panther been doing some research and Vitamin C, Zinc and vitamin D seem to be going a great job of Keeping the flu virus away from people.
https://beforeitsnews.com/alternativ...t-3719903.html

BTW how did the Battery Desulfinator work for you ?
Old 06-22-2020, 10:11 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

We finally could have a meet ... saturday.

Sorry about the sun ... new camera and not impressed by it at all .... (video is basically uncut and was a test to see how to try improve it ... not possible !!)

But it was really great to get flying again .....
Old 06-22-2020, 10:31 PM
Panther
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Hi Panther been doing some research and Vitamin C, Zinc and vitamin D seem to be going a great job of Keeping the flu virus away from people.
https://beforeitsnews.com/alternativ...t-3719903.html

BTW how did the Battery Desulfinator work for you ?
Well the battery I wanted to try it on was too dead. LOL But at least I have it now. I have quite a few batteries on the farm so no doubt it will be used soon enough. I never thought but can it be used on smaller sealed batteries, as in ATV type? glass plates.

As for Vit C, We have good stocks and it's not chinese. Also we are both on LDN. (immunity booster)
Old 07-03-2020, 03:24 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Our RC club meetings have gone virtual using Cisco Webex. Has been working very well.

I am also part of an astronomy club. This has also gone virtual using Cisco Webex. It is going so well that we will continue to offer remote access for members even after we go back to physical meetings.

We have been using the Cisco Webex free license. Works great!

We have been flying at our club field with no problems. We stay distant from each other and keep hand sanitizer handy all the time.

We just held a regional RC Glider contest. Attendance was light but we had a great time. Again, everyone kept their distance.

We are outside, in the sun which is a natural disinfectant. Very safe conditions. Masks optional.
Old 07-03-2020, 04:01 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

We are now getting back to meetings ... with care. Being EU - the borders are starting to open up .... once I get my new passport - then I plan a trip back to UK ...