General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Battery Connector & Receiver Antenna ?

Old 06-25-2020, 02:00 AM
Flysfloats

Default Battery Connector & Receiver Antenna ?

Time to get some "expert" advice. When I first started in electric power models my friend used Anderson Power Pole connectors. I followed suit and in the ensuing years I have converted ALL of my batteries to Power Pole connectors. I have had a few more issues than I would like with these connectors. Having the little "tongue" that goes over the clip in the connector get pushed back is one problem. Question is, Is it worth the trouble and expense to change out all my Power Pole connectors and replace them with something else?? Possible candidate are XT 60 connectors. Your thoughts, please.

Next question is something I had never heard before but a week or so ago a fellow flyer commented on how I had run my receiver antennas out of the fuselage. I had them going out the sides 180 degrees apart. He opined that this was a possible source for interrupted signal reception!! I HAVE had the odd crash due to apparent signal loss, this with a 2.4 HiTec Aurora 9 system, but this does cause me to, again, get some expert advice.

Thank you for help, FF
Old 06-25-2020, 05:43 PM
quorneng
Super Contributor

Whether it is worth changing over connectors is up to you but I have to say I have never seen a LiPo with a factory fitted Anderson Power Pole connector unlike the XT60 which is now an almost universal fitted option.

If your receiver has two aerials they should be fitted at 90 degree to each other and kept as straight as possible. I wonder what the air flow does to your aerials when outside the fuselage.
Old 06-25-2020, 05:58 PM
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

Connector tests, plus pictures
translate...www.elektromodellflug.de/hochstrom-st.-bu..html
Older version of that page, contains some other connectors
translate...www.elektromodellflug.de/oldpage/hochstromst/hochstromstecker.htm
Excellent site, do have a look at the controller, motor, charger, power supply, battery etc. tests.

Connector saudering videos
www.innov8tivedesigns.com→ resources → video classroom → soldering videos

DIY connector soldering jig
wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79119

Click to enlarge

Last edited by ron_van_sommeren; 07-16-2020 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-26-2020, 03:06 AM
Flysfloats

Thank you for the replies and good comments. I may start replacing connectors on an "as replaced" basis, sigh. I will realign my receiver antennas that have more than one wire as well.

Good links for the connectors. I have been using the Harbor Freight alligator clips holder and it does pretty well.
Old 07-16-2020, 05:02 PM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Well I will take some heat for this, but who cares right. I am a professional electrical engineer of some 40 years specializing in power system. In all the industries like automotive, marine, aircraft, building power and lighting, and land mobile radio, soldered connections are not allowed period. Get caught trying to solder connectors gets you fired and loose you license. Military would be a court marshal and dishonorable discharge. Reason is simple, solder is is inferior in both mechanical and electrical and have killed a lot of folks.

When it comes to portable electronic system that requires batteries, Anderson Connectors are universal and known to be one of the best connectors out there. Most of the troubles you are describing come from poor workmanship like using the improper tooling. Anderson is all I use in my planes. I can only think of few reasons RC folks do not use them. The connectors are expensive compared to say XT60. heavier, and require a dedicated compression tool to use.

As for the antenna, it is about polarization orientation. One should be polarized Vertically, and the other Horizontally. So no matter what orientation the plane or TX is oriented, one antenna will be correctly polarized. Example you may notice antennas are straight up and down vertically and some horizontally. That is antenna polarization.
Old 07-16-2020, 06:09 PM
quorneng
Super Contributor

dereck
I don't doubt the benefit of Anderson connectors but everything electronic is soldered even the power wires from an ESC. Solder can't be that bad.
Old 07-17-2020, 04:33 AM
Flysfloats

dereckbc: Thank for the in depth reply and explanation. Maybe my Anderson Power Pole connectors can stay and that would save me lots of work. On the larger wire gauge, I do use a crimper that I had bought but I have had some issues with the size of the crimp and fitting into the plastic housing. Oh well, I don't expect anything to be easy any longer, you got to love progress.