General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

SS goes for a dip

Old 10-09-2006, 07:29 PM
Solid Hit
Just call me ... Bill

Default SS goes for a dip

Wind is blowing at about 20 mph with higher gusts at the moment and I just got back from my lake. No, I wasn't fishing ... well not for fish anyway.

My son and his wife are visiting and I dusted off the old SS to teach him to fly. There is an old southern say which is "Hey, you all, watch this!!" which usually means someone or something is going to get hurt. I took the SS up to check it out. Normally I can fly it in a good breeze but this was far from a "good breeze". I called my son out of the house by saying "Hey Jeff, watch this...!".

I knew I was in trouble after about 30 seconds into the flight. The wind caught it and sent it over the house behind some trees. I could not get it back so I hit down elevator and shut down the throttle. When I went towards the spot that I last saw it, I spotted it on the lake. The wings and tail being depron kept it afloat but the motor and electronics were submerged. I rowed out to it and got it back to the workshop. I used a heat gun on it and after some testing, believe it or not, so far only the rx is not working; and that may come back after it dries some more. If it doesn't, at least it was a GWS pico 4 channel and not one of my Bergs or Hitechs.

I got lucky, the SS will fly again but only after this wind dies down to a respectable 10 mph...
Old 10-09-2006, 08:46 PM
max2112
Super Contributor

Default I know what you mean..

I know exactly how you feel. But I even had a better opportunity to quit while I was ahead. I was out with the family flying our Slo-V and all was well. By the time we changed to the second battery the wind had picked up considerably. I knew it was time to quit. I knew the Slo-V has zero wind tolerance. So of course I launched into it! Well, needless to say about 1 minute after that was when the fuselage shattered into about 37 pieces! I was able to get by with a home fix, but I learned a lesson that day!!
Old 10-09-2006, 11:33 PM
ForestCam
Bad Influence

Back when I was flying my Wing Dragon at the local soccer complex that's basically 8 soccer fields and a big parking lot with a 30'x30' retention pond in one corner I managed to put the WD smack dab into the retention pond.

Now if I'd had a floats I couldn't of hit the pond if I'd tried!