Micro Sized Electric Helicopters Discuss micro and mini sized electric rc helis in here

Night Ranger 3D or NR 3D micro?

Old 02-17-2007, 04:40 AM
Chad
Jaguar ate my Stryker!!!!

Default Night Ranger 3D or NR 3D micro?

hi guys, I'm turning 13 in 2 days (19th feb) and I'm planning to use my well earned cash (*cough*) on a new heli (sick of my NR2) so, I came here to ask: Which is better? Night Ranger 3D or Night Ranger 3D micro (I have $350 to spend).

I was thinking of the NR 3D micro, but, does it have full controls like the NR3D and the NR3D XL, and is it upgradeable? i.e. brushless set-up etc.

please tell me what you think
Old 02-19-2007, 02:10 AM
John A

Originally Posted by Chad View Post
hi guys, I'm turning 13 in 2 days (19th feb) and I'm planning to use my well earned cash (*cough*) on a new heli (sick of my NR2) so, I came here to ask: Which is better? Night Ranger 3D or Night Ranger 3D micro (I have $350 to spend).

I was thinking of the NR 3D micro, but, does it have full controls like the NR3D and the NR3D XL, and is it upgradeable? i.e. brushless set-up etc.

please tell me what you think
The 3D micro has the same radio as the 3DXL which is better than the 3D. The 3D micro has no upgrades at this time. The 3D micro should be able to do every thing a stock NR3D can. I don't know if it is capable of using a brushless setup. I would go to the Venom web site and check out the user manuel for it. I think the micro would be a good set up from the NR2

John
Old 02-19-2007, 01:24 PM
Chad

thanks for the reply John

I tried downloading the user manual, but, I couldn't open it.
what do you mean that the radio is better? Is the range of the radio any different?

I was thinking of buying the NR 3D because it can be upgraded, and I'm not sure at how powerful the NR3D micro motor is.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:01 AM
volcomsnows2k

Chad, do not get a Venom NR 3D Micro! I have one. I have a AON Brushless set up with a Castle Creation T9 Esc and TT 480mAh. The bottom line is this. Though they are small and cute, they do fly okay, but extremely squirrely. Turning 13 is awesome! Congrats and happy bday! Get yourself a Trex or Blade CP Pro. The Micro3D takes ALOT of tuning to actually fly some what OKAY. I can do light 3D with mine but by no means great manuevers. Save yourself the Money and get something worth the money!
Old 02-21-2007, 10:14 AM
Chad

squirrely?

Blade CP Pro.... I've seen a few comments that the NR 3D is a BIT better than the blade CP Pro.
I live in Australia, and I only heard about the blade CP Pro on this forum, same as the Trex. I saw on a website that the Trex with brushless set up and a whole bunch of other stuff is around $750!
if anyone lives in Australia, and reads this, please tell me of a very good hobby shop (I live in Perth, so somewhere like Bunbury is just too far).
Old 02-21-2007, 11:53 AM
bjsbeaver

Default Good Hobby shops in Perth

Hey there Chad,

Volcomsnow is refering to the fact that they are very jumpy and nervous in their reactions when he says "squirrely".

I too live in Perth and am a frequent visitor to Discount Hobby Supplies in Willeton. www.discounthobbies.com.au

Also Microheliworkz is very good for stuff and also for advice they do a very deal on a trex 450 for a bit over $1100 complete.
Their web site http://www.microheliworkz.com.au

I know $1100 is a lot for someone at 13, but in the end you will enjoy it a lot more with out any major frustration.

Drop me a PM if you don't want to keep the conversation on the forum.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Beaver
Old 02-21-2007, 12:04 PM
Chad

I'd drop you a pm if I knew how to :o

well... I see that it is $360... is that JUST the helicopter?
do I need to buy radio seperate?
do I need to buy a battery and motors seperate?
Old 02-21-2007, 06:16 PM
volcomsnows2k

I meant that the Micro 3D is very jumpy and nervous. I have had mine for about a month now and have gone through the brushless conversion and still very unstable. Here's the biggest kicker, the battery that the 3D Micro comes with is a 200mAh 2 cell LiPo. With that and the stock brushed motor, your hover times are about 3 minutes. Walkera 52 comes with a 280mAh. I dont know why the Venom does not.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:56 AM
John A

Chad,
Save your money and get a Night Ranger 3D. I have had mine for quite a while now and I like it very much. In the hands of someone who knows how to fly it will fly True 3D. With the brushless setup, Alloy head and Lipo it is a very capable helicopter and you don't have to pay a thousand + for it.
When I said the Micros radio was better I was referring to the way you can program the throttle and pitch curves. It has dual and exponential rates (controls twitchy, squirrely, and nervous actions). It just has a lot more features than the NR3D has.
I have not flown the Micro yet but if it is any thing like my 3D it should fly nice indoors I believe that is what it was made for. Out doors it probably shouldnít be flown in any more than a 5 mph wind. Ití a small and light little bird.

John
Old 02-23-2007, 09:47 AM
Chad

I was in my LHS staring at the NR 3D micro.
the price tag for the NR 3D XL was hidden away at the back of the box where I couldn't see it, so I took down the box, checked the price tag, and quickly put the box back on the shelf.
$650 to some of you guys might not be a lot, but to me, it's quite a bit.
the LHS didn't have a NR 3D stocked, so I was looking at their planes and saw that some aerobatic planes are half the price of the NR 3D micro.
anyone here fly planes AND helicopters? please tell me, I'm going 'hunting' with my dad tomorrow
Old 02-23-2007, 01:41 PM
John A

the price tag for the NR 3D XL was hidden away at the back of the box where I couldn't see it, so I took down the box, checked the price tag, and quickly put the box back on the shelf.
the LHS didn't have a NR 3D stocked, so I was looking at their planes and saw that some aerobatic planes are half the price of the NR 3D micro.
anyone here fly planes AND helicopters? please tell me, I'm going 'hunting' with my dad tomorrow
Chad,
I fly planes and helicopters. Planes are a little easier to fly. You can do 3D with them but it's not the same as a heli. You need more space to fly in for planes. You should find someone who has one of these 3D planes and see if they will let you fly it with a buddy cord. You might find that you are not challenged enough and will grow board. That’s kind of why I moved to helis. I'm really glad that I got my NR3D. I have no second thoughts about putting down the $220. It has given me many hours of adrenalin rushes. But the final chose is yours to make. I checked out Ebay and they have the Walkera 22E and the Walkera 52 . These are the ones that Venom re-branded as the NR3D and 3D Micro. They can be gotten from $100 to $150. Replacement parts can be gotten from Ebay or you can use the Venom parts. They are the same birds. There are a few vendors that are located in the US if you don’t want to get it from china or hong kong.

John
Old 02-23-2007, 01:49 PM
Chad

my parents would never use their credit cards for online shopping.

you got bored of flying planes? I would have thought planes would give a real adrenaline rush, for half the price.
I only know of one person that flies planes, but he flies fuel powered planes. I saw a foamy called something like, EXTRAFUN XL, I asked the person at the counter if he recomendeds it, but he replied with "that is very hard to fly"

my LHS didn't have the NR 3D, if I can't find any heli that I won't, I'll just buy a plane. I've heard good comments about the NR3D micro and bad comments, but I'll never be sure until I actualy see a NR3D micro in action, if someone has a link for it, then please, post the link as a reply. I may buy the NR3D or Blade CP Pro if I actually find one.

thanks in advance to everyone that helped me
Old 02-23-2007, 05:01 PM
John A

Chad,
Not all Ebay transactions have to be credit card. Most will take a money orders, checks or PayPal.
I don't know if board is the right word. Maybe hassel would have been better. I live in the city so if I want to fly my planes I have to load it all into the car and drive to a park or some other open spot and that all hinged on if it was nitro or electric. But it all boiled down to the same thing I had to go somewhere. With the NR3D I just go out on the driveway, fire it up and fly it around the yard. Sure I could do that with one of those sheet styrofoam "things" they call a plane. But thats not flying, that's hanging from a prop. You put a big enough motor on a brick and you can make it fly.
Don't get me wrong I still love to fly my planes but it's just not the same.

John
Old 02-24-2007, 08:51 AM
Chad

woow... I walk into a hobby shop with a heli in mind... but then I walk out with an F-27B Stryker.

Heli's are toooo expensive for me
Old 03-17-2007, 04:03 AM
ElectricFlyGuy
Banned Permanently

Thumbs down

The reason hobby shops hide the price is so you look at the plane first then run out the door last

Old 04-12-2007, 04:37 PM
Mighty Wings Australia

Hi Chad,
I run a hobby shop here inAustralia and I just read this thread with great interest, I have been a flyer of all types of models for over 30 years and i'm thrilled that you have taken the plunge and got involved in the hobby, I am a little concerned about your choice of first aircraft, I have seen the stryker sold many times to people as a trainer and it makes me cringe every time, I hope I'm not too late to say this but please go and find a good experienced modeller to help you to learn to fly, because the Stryker is not a trainer, it is a brilliant model and one I really enjoy showing off with, but it isn't a trainer.I'm telling you this because I hate to see enthusiasm like yours damaged because you were sold an aircraft that isn't suitable to your needs.
I know people will get on here and put up argument that they managed to learn with one and other such arguments but the simple truth is there are better choices out there for a first model.As for the Venom helicopters I think that if you decide to go down the heli path you shoud save and spend more at the start up rather than buy cheap, the parts for the other machines mentioned, trex, etc can be as little as a1/3 the price of venom bits as a guide. I'm not a fan of venom heli's but think they have there place in the market just once again not for beginers.
I hope you read this in the way I intend and that is as help not critism.
regards,
Alexis
Old 04-13-2007, 10:50 AM
Chad

do not worry, the VERY first time I flew it didn't come down in a spectacular crash, I flew for about 3-4 seconds and landed my Stryker because I was soo happy that I didn't know what to do next.

I've been flying my Stryker many times, and I'm going to buy a Stryker C next week. Ofcourse I've crashed with my Stryker, it's a part of the learning process. only serious crash was probably yesterday when I was doing low altitude barrel rolls etc. I felt as if my stock battery has lost power because I found it hard to gain height.
the motor mount came off completly, I used wooden skewers to re-enforce the slightly broken chunk of foam from a previous flight, bad idea. so now I'm on my first unpainted fuse, I had a big problem while fiddling around with the speed controller which is keeping my plane grounded. The antenna broke off and I'm not sure where it goes.
I have no idea why I was able to fly this plane straight away, probably just 'one of those things'
Old 04-04-2008, 07:50 PM
rcreaper

I have a night ranger 3d micro and im having problems getting it in the air. the pitch is a 0 its level and the heli is balanced. the battery is putting out about 10 to 12 volts and the motor seems to be winding up pretty good but i dont really know im new to helis. the switches are v2 at about 10 oclock position and the v1 is at dead top center and ive tried it in headlocking mode using the dip switches. like i said im new and im determined to make it work i dont want to get something else until ive conqured this one. any help would be awsome.