Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Small cheap (not good) all in 1 electronics?

Old 03-26-2008, 04:02 AM
vortex05
Blade CP, Blade 400

Default Small cheap (not good) all in 1 electronics?

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for small cheap all in one 2+ channel radio + esc combos.

I was thinking of building my own craptastic foam plane. I only expect a range of a couple of meters so I'm not looking for great here, I was wondering if anyone can suggest cheap combos maybe salvageable off of other commercial products.

I need for this purpose

RX / TX combo (or i can just use my JR car TX, alternatively I could use the eflite BCP tx but I'm worried CCPM will get in the way).

super small battery pack since the weight of the foamie I intend on building is in the sub 50g range.

some light motors, I was thinking of re purposing 2 spare N30 motors from the blade CP to do this as well.

I'm not going for quality here hence "crap tastic" I just want to build my own plane for fun but I have a strict budget of $50 for the first prototype. The radio gear can be the cheapest of the mill acceptable range is minimum of 7 meters. ESC doesn't have to be proportional full on / off is acceptable.

Remember once again I'm not looking for hobby grade parts I'm looking for bargain bin / surplus / broken toys. Anyone got any suggestions of equiptment I can use, the total weight of everything looks like it needs to be under 30g so we're talking pretty light. Since I'm not going for premium gear I'd be happy if I can get 2 min of flight time.

If your wondering why I'm going so cheap it's because most of the funds still have to go into my primary hobby of heli's they are costly.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:24 PM
Eric_N57105

Originally Posted by vortex05 View Post
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for small cheap all in one 2+ channel radio + esc combos.

I was thinking of building my own craptastic foam plane. I only expect a range of a couple of meters so I'm not looking for great here, I was wondering if anyone can suggest cheap combos maybe salvageable off of other commercial products.

I need for this purpose

RX / TX combo (or i can just use my JR car TX, alternatively I could use the eflite BCP tx but I'm worried CCPM will get in the way).

super small battery pack since the weight of the foamie I intend on building is in the sub 50g range.

some light motors, I was thinking of re purposing 2 spare N30 motors from the blade CP to do this as well.

I'm not going for quality here hence "crap tastic" I just want to build my own plane for fun but I have a strict budget of $50 for the first prototype. The radio gear can be the cheapest of the mill acceptable range is minimum of 7 meters. ESC doesn't have to be proportional full on / off is acceptable.

Remember once again I'm not looking for hobby grade parts I'm looking for bargain bin / surplus / broken toys. Anyone got any suggestions of equiptment I can use, the total weight of everything looks like it needs to be under 30g so we're talking pretty light. Since I'm not going for premium gear I'd be happy if I can get 2 min of flight time.

If your wondering why I'm going so cheap it's because most of the funds still have to go into my primary hobby of heli's they are costly.
Any of the E-Sky 4n1's should do the job and they are pretty decent too. I used to repair them for people all over the world. I lost all my heli links so I can't point you to a specific site, but there was a helicopter site that sold them new for about $30.

You probably know that CCPM mixing is in the BCP TX so using your JR TX would eliminate it, but the TX would be on the car band and you would have to stick a car xtal in the RX. For the limited range you want, it MIGHT work, though, of course it is illegal.

You might just try using the BCP TX even with CCPM. I used it with a simulator to fly airplanes and it seemed to work pretty well. At the time I had flown only RC helicopters and not RC planes, but they flew like I expected they should. I'd give it a try. Seems fitting to use a CCPM TX for a craptastic plane, don't you think?

Be careful though. Two years ago I got an RC airplane to help improve my helicopter skills. I haven't flown my helicopter (BCP also) since.

Eric
Old 04-01-2008, 10:46 PM
Eric_N57105

The website that used to have the 4n1s cheap is:

helidirect.com

They are showing the Honey Bee CP2/ BCP 4n1 for $45 now so that puts you way over budget. Occasionally, you can find Esky 3n1s. They are packaged w/o the RX and can be very cheap since nobody knows what to do with them. The 4n1 has two boards inside, the RX board and everything else on the second board. The 3n1 just includes the "everything else" board. You can easily use it with a separate RX of any kind.

Good luck with it. I'll look around later today in the shop. If I have an old 4n1, I'll send it to you for postage, but I don't think I kept any of them.

Eric
Old 04-02-2008, 03:25 AM
vortex05
Blade CP, Blade 400

I really don't think the BCP 4 in 1 will work for making my own foamie. i can't imagine how i'll hook up everything with the CCPM interaction.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:23 AM
Eric_N57105

Originally Posted by vortex05 View Post
I really don't think the BCP 4 in 1 will work for making my own foamie. i can't imagine how i'll hook up everything with the CCPM interaction.
The CCPM mixing is in the TRANSMITTER, not the 4n1. It would work fine in an airplane if you used a TX without CCPM mixing. Any of the cheap TXs (Neon, etc.) made for airplanes would work. You could get one for a couple of bucks or even free if you asked around. Try the Easy Star forum. A lot of guys buy the RTF version, then upgrade their TX when they become more experienced.

Channel assignments will take a little experimenting. Ch 2 is pitch. Connect that to the elevator.

Ch1 and 6 (roll) would take a quick experiment. On a 3 channel plane (elevator, rudder, throttle), you would normally connect the rudder to one of the roll channels NOT to the rudder channel. So I would plug the rudder into Ch1 and see how it works operating the right stick on the TX. If that doesn't work, then plug it into Ch6 and see what happens. You can't hurt anything.

Ch3 is collective (throttle). Since the ESC is built in you don't have to do anything there...in fact, there is no Ch3 connector! So just plug your BRUSHED motor in place of the main motor. Nothing plugs into the tail motor. BTW, just ignore propo mixing on the 4n1. That's for mixing in some tail rotor with collective. Since you aren't even using the tail rotor channel, the mixing will have no effect.

If your going to have ailerons (I wouldn't with such a craptastic setup), connect both aileron servos to Ch1 (or Ch6 whichever worked) through a Y-connector. You could even have spoilerons/flaperons if you have a TX that supports them. Right aileron goes to Ch1 and left goes to 6 (or could be the other way around).

It CAN be done fairly easily. You can prove it with your BCP. Disconnect the servos from their linkage and do the experiments I described above.

Craptastic means having to innovate and compromise. That is what you wanted, right?

Eric
Old 04-04-2008, 03:48 AM
Eric_N57105

Here are a couple of Esky 4n1s for $25 ea.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=844088

Eric