Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Mountain Models EZ Sport Mini Review

Old 09-01-2008, 07:41 PM
boomerace
Been there .... Done That

Default Mountain Models EZ Sport Mini Review

Discussion - Mountain Models EZ Sport Mini Review

OK you have flown your Slow Stick or ??? 3 channel trainer until you can land it on the same spot 90% of the time and upgraded it to brushless and learned to fly inverted, do hammerheads, loops, spins and with mods even what passes for a roll. So now you're ready for a aileron trainer. You have looked over the field and really can't find one that looks like a warbird or at least sporty and know in your own mind if you have listened to the advice of the old timers that you would only crash it anyway! So what to do? Buy a boring looking high wing trainer or is their something else out there that you can fly that looks a little more to your liking? That's what this review will try to answer. Enter stage left the Mountain Models EZ Sport. Now that looks like more what you had in mind and it is 4 channel as well! OK the specs say it has a 36" Wing Span is 22.6 inches long with a wing area of 232sq inches. Weighs ready to fly 12.5oz with a wing loading of 7.4oz/sq ft. A trainer in my opinion should not exceed a wing loading of 10oz sq/ft. so we're in the ball park. Specs also say power should be 80 to 100W. At that weight 80W would give you 102W/lb and since any thing over 100 will give you vertical, power is not a problem. I had a E-Max 950 CF 2822 on hand so that is what I used. Installation was somewhat flaky since the motor base had set screws that were hidden from view when the motor was in place and with the enclosed nose you couldn't see them also the base was smaller than the base for the recommended motor so I had to drill new holes for the blind nuts. Solved installation by drilling 2 small holes in the fuse sides and after coating the set screws with thread lock inserted a Allen wrench in each set screw then installed the motor and tightened the set screw. A little Mickey Mouse but it worked. OK back to the final result of my build. The plane builds up easy. All bulkheads are plainly marked as to how they install and the instructions are easy to follow. I don't think anyone who built a Slow Stick would have any trouble building the plane. Wing is foam and can be covered with iron on low temp covering or tape. I chose the tape as I had several rolls on hand. I painted the fuse but should have used sealer for the first coat so the paint added a little more weight than I wanted as it took 3 coats to even cover properly. Water based paint would have worked better but I used the paint I had on hand. My AUW came out to 15.2oz which gives me a wing loading of 9.44oz/sq ft. A little higher than I wanted but still within the 10oz figure. With the E-Max and with a 10 X 4.7 APC SF prop my Watt Meter says 111W @12.25A on a 3S 1200 20C Pollyquest Lipo. That equates to 117W/lb and Motocalc says 22.8oz of thrust. MFG specs say with a 10 X 5 prop I should get 22.4oz so Motocalc is right on as the 10 X 4.7 will give me a little more thrust. I will try to get a video of the maiden. The instructions recommend CG just in front of the spar for trainer use and just behind the spar for more spirited flying as your skills increase. I will try the maiden at full power and cruise with the CG behind the spar to see how slow it will fly and whether I think it will make a suitable trainer. Stay tuned. Pics attached. 3" wheels are for my rough rock field. Smaller wheels are furnished in the kit.
Mountain Models has come up with a real different wing attachment. the center (and only) wing rib has 2 square protrusions on each end. The front one plugs into the front wing support and locks in the front of the wing and the slip in LG plywood sandwich and the back plugs into a ply bulkhead that is cut so you force it rearward to insert the wing rib and the natural spring in the plywood keeps tension on the rib so it can't slip out. Really works well and allows the wing to be easily removed by just pressing the rear bulkhead toward the tail to release the wing and to insert the flight Lipo.
boomer
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	EZ Sport Bottom View.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	76920   Click image for larger version

Name:	EZ Sport FQtr View.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	76921   Click image for larger version

Name:	EZ Sport Front View.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	76922   Click image for larger version

Name:	EZ Sport Rear View.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	76923   Click image for larger version

Name:	EZ Sport RQ View.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	76924  

Old 09-02-2008, 12:21 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Great review Boomer and nice looking plane. Subscribing to this as I know this plane is going to be a hot ticket item.

Frank
Old 09-06-2008, 06:48 AM
mararra

I'm looking forward to your flight report, Boomer. Got one on the build table myself. Built the EZ-Cub first; super simple build except for servo installation. It flies great, and is tough as nails... a definite plus considerin my skill set.
M
Old 09-06-2008, 06:53 AM
boomerace

If the stupid wind ever quits I'm ready to go. Hopefully this weekend.
boomer
Old 09-08-2008, 03:35 AM
boomerace

Well today was a repeat of yesterday. I can't get to the field until after noon and stupid wind has been blowing long after it gets dark. Here's todays story.
boomer

Name:	Wind.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	77572  
Old 09-08-2008, 01:48 PM
mararra

I feel your pain, been puttin up with windy conditions all summer myself Finally got a nice eve Friday. Took the EZ-Cub up for a quick flight; something caused loss of aileron control and it came down hard and fast. Busted up the nose, trashed the motor, and destroyed the battery. Wing popped off undamaged. It is remarkable that the plane wan't completly destroyed.....tough li'l bugger.
M
Old 09-10-2008, 05:08 AM
boomerace

While I am waiting for a wind window I decided to eliminate removing the wing to install the battery and the hassle of the servo lead. I moved the speed control back and cut a battery hatch and added a battery shelf to the nose. Not as neat as if I had done it in the build but works great. Here's the pics.
boomer

Name:	Battery Hatch 1.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	77672   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Hatch 2.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	77673   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Hatch 3.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	77674   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Hatch 4.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	77675  
Old 09-10-2008, 06:52 AM
Twmaster

Shame on you Boomer for not posting a link to the kit!

No soup for YOU!

http://www.mountainmodels.com/produc...roducts_id=577

Old 09-10-2008, 09:00 AM
boomerace

Originally Posted by Twmaster View Post
Shame on you Boomer for not posting a link to the kit!

No soup for YOU!

http://www.mountainmodels.com/produc...roducts_id=577

We don't need no stinkin' soup!
boomer
Old 09-12-2008, 01:28 AM
boomerace

Airport said wind was 6 mph so we headed to the field and by the time we got there it was 10 gusting to 16. :censored: Crappy conditions for a maiden. But I was so tired of not flying I flew anyway. 15oz plane verses 16mph gusts makes for some very hairy flying. Have my controls maxed out and the plane is very touchy so had to be very careful not to dork it. Jackie tried to shoot video but must of the flying was close to WOT so it was really hard to follow. Vertical is unlimited and fast. It spins like a top straight up. Inverted can be held with elevator and rolls look good with a little rudder added. Bottom line from my limited flying today is it is marginal for a aileron trainer but if the controls were set to the recommended trainer settings and low power was used a newbe with quite a bit of stick time on a 3 channel could make the jump successfully. Then later when you think your good max out the controls and hang on. I have a small amount of video showing the ROG but that's about it so don't know that I'll bother to post it. Also maidened the MM Clip Wing Cub and have a little more video footage of it so will probably post that in my build thread for the Clip Wing.
boomer
Old 09-12-2008, 07:18 AM
boomerace

Decided to post the short flight anyway.
http://rcuvideos.com/video/EZ-Sport-...#theater_title
boomer
Old 09-12-2008, 11:55 PM
mararra

What the...... Is it a plane or is it the space shuttle? Had to keep running the vid in stop motion, just so I could see the lift off I think I will use my 8 amp motor on 2S for the maiden; 50 watts should do it ?
M