Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion) Discuss I/C or Gas Conversions, Aerobatic Planes and Sport Aircraft

Review: Black Horse Models Cap 232EP

Old 11-03-2008, 07:23 PM
idealhobbies
Super Contributor

Default Review: Black Horse Models Cap 232EP

For today’s review, I'm submitting the Black Horse Models Cap 232 Ep. I picked this up for $69.99 Shipped from http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/159534.asp. It was my first balsa build ever, and to be honest I was quite nervous about doing it. I’m sorry, but I didn’t take any pictures during the build. What actually made me do this review is the serious lack of information on this plane. I searched for days for any info on this plane and came up with squat. So, here’s what I thought about this plane:

Plane Stats:
Wingspan: 43 in / 1,090 mm
Length: 42 in / 1,070mm
Weight: 2.1 lb / 0.92 Kg (Approx)

My pre-order research came up with a whole lot of nothing. I did a lot of searching trying to find what motor and servos people were using and how the plane handled etc. … Nothing. I wanted to keep my out of pocket low because I had some other priorities. I ended up getting the GForce G10 motor from Value Hobby. ( http://www.valuehobby.com/product_details.php?category_id=1&item_id=8 ) and using a Power Up 60 amp Esc from www.headsuprc.com.

My setup:

Value Hobby GForce G10 motor http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...id=1&item_id=8
Headsuprc Power Up 60 Amp Esc : http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ESC/Categories
Headsuprc Tower Pro SG90 9 Gram Servos : http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...TP-SG90/Detail
Value Hobby GForce 11.1v 2250mah 20c Lipo: http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...d=8&item_id=29

The box arrived 3 days after ordering it. The packing was pretty good, and everything made it in one piece. Now, as I said, this was my first balsa build. It took me a few hours to complete, but really was not bad at all. My Multiplex Gemini was a lot harder than this plane was. The body was complete and only required some cuts in the covering for the servos, the servo wires, and the wing tube. The wings, same thing… cut out the servo bays, done. The tail and the elevators had to be installed, and gave me a little problem. Again, this was my first build, so it was more of an inexperience thing than anything. Landing gear was a snap to do, and actually look like they might hold up. The motor mount box was pre assembled and only required some epoxy to get it done. “insert tab A into slot B type thing”. The instructions were written in ENGLISH, not a bad translation and included a whole lot of pictures. Some of the pictures were hard to see, but I was able to get the general idea and go from there.

A few points:

I have seen a lot of different balsa planes and one thing that I noticed on many of them was the poor canopy retention on many of them. I have witnessed many a canopy fly off while in flight. This model – Not happening! There is a plastic screw on each side of the canopy that secures it to the fuselage. Under the canopy, you will have your Receiver and that’s about it. The wings attach with 4 plastic screws, 2 each and that is accessed through your canopy.

The battery bay is under the plane, by the nose. It is secured by another one of those plastic screws. The airflow is good across the battery. And I don’t see any future issue there. The one thing that I will point out… The battery bay is designed for a 2000mah battery. My 2250mah battery fit, but it’s tight. There is no getting around it if you have larger batteries without major work. If you put a larger battery in the canopy, the balance will be shifted back to the tail.

I mentioned that I used a Power 10 equivalent. I ran into a problem when doing the motor mounting. The airplanes motor box was made for a 480 sized motor X – mount. I had to drill my X – Mount to make it work. No big deal, just was not in my plans.

The manufacture recommends HS55 servos. I used Tower Pro SG90’s which are the same size. It was suggested to me that I use HS65’s for the extra torque and security. Not happening. HS65’s do not fit. You will have to do a bit of filing to make them fit. The stickers had to come off of the sides of the TP SG90’s to make them fit in the holes. It’s a good thing to be so tight because there will be less play in the servo mount, but Jeeze!

The wheels are too small if you take off or land in grass. They were actually smaller than the ones included with the Hobbyzone Super Cub. I replaced mine immediately with some 2 inch wheels.

Maiden Flight:

This is my first balsa plane so I do not have anything to use for a point of reference. My current hanger of even the closest things are the Parkzone T28 Trojan and the Multiplex Gemini. No comparison. This thing flies great. Very stable. Slows down to a crawl for landing, and I have no doubt that with a little stick time, I’ll be able to drop it straight down. Smooth is the best word that I can come up with. I experienced no wing rock, and it took wind like a champ. I was able to turn into the wind and sit dead still. The covering scheme made it quite easy to maintain orientation. It is a real pleasure to fly.

I’ll update my review as I spend more time on the sticks. So far, I am quite pleased. Total money spent to put it in the air - $171.90 (Airplane, Servos, Motor, and ESC) For $69.99 Shipped, it’s a great buy.

Pics:

Last edited by idealhobbies; 11-03-2008 at 07:39 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:43 PM
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up

Hmm,your cap looks very similar to the sukhoi i just received in the mail.i wonder if their the same
http://www.nitroplanes.com/elfusu31si151.html

im' glad to hear yours flies so well.what type of radio do you have?i only have an "el cheapo" 72 mhz radio.i wonder if this is too much plane for it-RT
Old 11-03-2008, 10:53 PM
newjak
AMA Park Pilot Partner

Nice review. Glad you have crossed over to the Dark Side Now, repeat after me...."Balsa flies better"
Old 11-04-2008, 12:17 AM
idealhobbies
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Rolling Thunder View Post
Hmm,your cap looks very similar to the sukhoi i just received in the mail.i wonder if their the same
http://www.nitroplanes.com/elfusu31si151.html

im' glad to hear yours flies so well.what type of radio do you have?i only have an "el cheapo" 72 mhz radio.i wonder if this is too much plane for it-RT
I'm using a Spektrum DX7. All you need is a 4 channel radio. I'm sure that your radio will do fine.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:18 AM
idealhobbies
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by newjak View Post
Nice review. Glad you have crossed over to the Dark Side Now, repeat after me...."Balsa flies better"

Yes my Master!

Balsa flies better
Old 11-04-2008, 12:20 AM
idealhobbies
Super Contributor

And since I'm at it.....

Thank you Newjak for the "negative influence"!
Old 12-06-2008, 11:41 PM
jecchile

HI! idealhobbies...
Thanks for the review of the BH CAP 232 EP... it sure made me feel better as to my order placed last Thursday from Hobby People in California.

Any new input as far as the flying capabilities of the CAP 232?... I also have the Trojan T-28 and fly it most of the time but it is over a year old and need some new excitement.

The picture on the Hobby People web site is different than yours - mostly red and yellow - did you have a choice of colors?

Thanks for any additional input you may have.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:09 AM
idealhobbies
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by jecchile View Post
HI! idealhobbies...
Thanks for the review of the BH CAP 232 EP... it sure made me feel better as to my order placed last Thursday from Hobby People in California.

Any new input as far as the flying capabilities of the CAP 232?... I also have the Trojan T-28 and fly it most of the time but it is over a year old and need some new excitement.

The picture on the Hobby People web site is different than yours - mostly red and yellow - did you have a choice of colors?

Thanks for any additional input you may have.
It flies very smooth. Smoother than the T28. The only beef that I had come to have is the battery hatch actually becomes a bit of a pain being on the bottom of the plane. You have to turn the plane over to remove the battery, unscrew the retaining screw, and remove the hatch. All the while, you have to be very mindful that you are resting on the rudder so that you don't bump it around too much and hurt something. DO a slow throttle up the first few times so that you don't jump in the air until you learn the torque issues (if any) with your motor. Little if any wing rock was present in mine. My 2250 mah battery BARELY fit. It's made with 2000's in mind, so any higher than 2250's will be a real issue. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

No, I didn't get to choose the color. That's what came. Kinda surprised me.
You WILL love it.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:10 AM
jecchile

Thanks again "Idealhobbies"... I am looking forward to getting the CAP flying.

I saw the list of accessories you used and I have the same battery available for the CAP... the motor I will use is the G-Force 480 which should be plenty for that airplane. Hopefully I will not have to do much carving for the servos - I have some EFLRS75's available and they will have to do the job. I think they are a bit larger than the HS-55s but what the heck, that is what I have.

I will try to post some pictures of mine once it is completed - who knows what color scheme I will get... The price was right anyway so whatever comes it'll be OK.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:43 PM
jecchile

Well, it is here... arrived today and it is already in "Assembly"... I got the same color scheme as yours "Idealhobbies" - pretty I think...

Only problems I've had so far:
1) Cowling was damaged a bit - could find some paint chips in the box so I guess it happened in transit BUT it was not wrapped or protected in any way.
2) Elevator joiner wire was missing - not a big deal but where is the QC?
3) Only 3 cowling screws included (needs 4) and 5 landing gear screws included (needs 4)... again, not a big deal but where is the QC?

I will get new wheels as the ones included in the kit are too small for a grass runway... Are you happy with the 2.5" you are using?...

Thanks for all the advice.

By the way... I don't think HP sells the kit anymore - it came off their web page... at least I could not find it anymore. A friend of mine was interested in taking a look at it. Maybe I got the last one - great price at $69.99 including shipping.

Last edited by jecchile; 12-21-2008 at 03:52 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:10 PM
websterphreaky
Banned

Default Not remotely same as Nitroplanes junk

Originally Posted by Rolling Thunder View Post

I also have the BH (Black Horse Model) Cap 232 EP and I've seen that Suckhoi junk from NitroPlanes ... they aren't even remotely the same plane or from the same manufacturer in China. The fuselage is longer on the Cap 232 and the fuselage profiles are much different.

NitroPlanes stuff is all 2nd and 3rd rate junk from low end "garage operations" in China; while BH planes are 1st class. I've made the mistake of buying a couple balsa planes and brittle styro junk from NitroPlanes and I'll never go back there again. I have two EP Balsa Ultimate Bipe's, BOTH were missing parts and the workmanship was shoddy.

Global (Hobby People) is one of the two official importers / distributors for BH and I've talked to the manager for that line. Rarely are there any issues. I also have the BH Speed Air 40 running a Magnum XL 52 4-Stroke, and a BH Arrow 3D EP. The Speed Air 40 is a magnificent pattern flyer and the Arrow 3D EP is a great inexpensive 3D primer plane.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:03 AM
jecchile

Default Here tis...

Well, here is mine... it flew well but broke a prop on the second landing... the landing gear could be a lot stronger but, all in all, for the price paid, a good airplane.

Balancing has been a challenge - it seems like it is way nose heavy but, after installing 2 oz of weight in the tail, it flew but had to give a lot of down trim and still give some elevator down or she would "nose up"... took the weights off and will fly it again without them... we'll see what happens.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CAP-232-1.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	87348   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAP-232-2.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	87349  
Old 12-21-2008, 12:09 AM
newjak
AMA Park Pilot Partner

Well, here is mine... it flew well but broke a prop on the second landing... the landing gear could be a lot stronger but, all in all, for the price paid, a good airplane.

Balancing has been a challenge - it seems like it is way nose heavy but, after installing 2 oz of weight in the tail, it flew but had to give a lot of down trim and still give some elevator down or she would "nose up"... took the weights off and will fly it again without them... we'll see what happens.
Balance it on the wing spar and you can't go wrong. I don't own one ,but I fly with Idealhobbies all of the time. I don't know what the book recommends but start there and make SMALL adjustments. Too tail heavy and it will be in for repairs
Old 12-21-2008, 01:17 AM
websterphreaky
Banned

Ditto newjak - I didn't see any big problems balancing mine, made most of the adjustments by shifting the big 2200mAh 3S batt more towards the rear by less than an inch. Be sure that you are balancing based on really where the CG is at.

When you balance your plane, use the CG location indicated on your model's plans along the wing's mean aerodynamic chord (MAC) line (MAC roughly = highest point of the wings curve). If you don't have this information, you will have to figure it out yourself. On most models, the balance point falls between 25 and 30 percent of the MAC; 27 to 28 percent seems to be the average.

Remember that a very good acrobatic plane should be balance neutral - not nose or tail heavy. Also, never balance by putting weights at the extremes of the Fuselage or wings for that matter. All the planes weight should be as close to the CG as possible for best handling. That applies to real planes and heli's too.

When I built my BH Cap 232 EP, the first thing I noticed was the cheesy too light weight landing gear. I made my own in a similar installed pattern, but with 3/32" flat aluminum - like a lot of other planes come with. Now I'm shopping around for "wheel pants" that will accommodate the light-weight 65mm dia wheels I'm using (grass field TO's and landings).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cg_measurement_mac.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	87352  
Old 12-21-2008, 04:08 AM
jecchile

My airplane balances perfectly at 100 mm from the leading edge... that is what the instructions say to do... BUT, with the battery installed in the tray provided, it is nose heavy... will have to move it back somehow...

If it keeps flying well, I will change the landing gear also.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:56 AM
websterphreaky
Banned

My airplane balances perfectly at 100 mm from the leading edge... that is what the instructions say to do... BUT, with the battery installed in the tray provided, it is nose heavy... will have to move it back somehow...

If it keeps flying well, I will change the landing gear also.

Thanks for the advice.
Wondering, did you use the motor that BH (Global, the distributor) recommended? If not, is the one you did use the same weight, or heavier? Might account for the imbalance.

I should have mentioned that I didn't use the under fuse' battery location because of the batts that I'm using - an Impulse 2200 3S that is almost square and thin in shape, instead of long and fat like most 3S batts. I made a battery shelf under the canopy against the forward bulkhead and practically over the wing tube sleeve. The batt nearly sits on top of the CG of the wing.

With most of the planes main weight (batt, wing and RX) in the same plane as the wing and CG, I that I get more stability for difficult acrobatic maneuvers, like the falling leaf, flat spins, etc. that revolve around the wing's "MAC" and the CL of the plane. Only the motor and ESC (and I put the ESC as far back in the old batt compartment as possible) are hanging a short distance out front.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:48 PM
jecchile

Originally Posted by websterphreaky View Post
Wondering, did you use the motor that BH (Global, the distributor) recommended?
I am using a G-Force E480 motor and it did a great job when I flew the plane. I do not know how it compares with the AXI 2814/12 recommended in the instructions.

All of my batteries are the 3-cell long and narrow shape... they vary from 1800 mah to 2250 mah and they fit fine in the tray provided... I can use them with all my airplanes so that is the perfect setup for me...

I really think that the plane will fly fine a little "nose heavy". As I indicated before, when it was balanced at 100 mm from the leading edge (as per the instructions) with the battery installed, the plane flew like it was way tail heavy... had 15 clicks of down on the trim and you still had to give it down input in order to fly it level...

I do not plan to do any 3-D stuff with it - just like to do some normal aerobatics - more like a pattern plane, so it should be AOK for that purpose.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:36 AM
jecchile

UPDATE:
The weather has not cooperated much but yesterday I got to fly my CAP again... without the tail weights this time... and even though it seems to be a bit nose heavy when balancing on the ground, the plane flew GREAT, once I got everything trimmed.

Very happy with the airplane and the price I paid for it...
Old 01-13-2009, 06:15 AM
websterphreaky
Banned

Default Mods for my BH Cap 232

I am using a G-Force E480 motor and it did a great job when I flew the plane. I do not know how it compares with the AXI 2814/12 recommended in the instructions.

All of my batteries are the 3-cell long and narrow shape... they vary from 1800 mah to 2250 mah and they fit fine in the tray provided... I can use them with all my airplanes so that is the perfect setup for me...

I really think that the plane will fly fine a little "nose heavy". As I indicated before, when it was balanced at 100 mm from the leading edge (as per the instructions) with the battery installed, the plane flew like it was way tail heavy... had 15 clicks of down on the trim and you still had to give it down input in order to fly it level...

I do not plan to do any 3-D stuff with it - just like to do some normal aerobatics - more like a pattern plane, so it should be AOK for that purpose.
I decided to go with a HobbyKing Turnigy TR 35-30C Brushless Outrunner, which appears to be identical to the AXI 2808 that BH Models recommended. I've had great experiences with the Turnigy motors. Also am replacing the flimsy wire landing gear with flat aluminum struts the same dimensions and 60mm light-weight foam wheels and fiberglass wheel pants. Now it will look like it's supposed to look like.

Thanks for your input!
Old 01-27-2009, 09:25 PM
jecchile

Originally Posted by websterphreaky View Post
I decided to go with a HobbyKing Turnigy TR 35-30C Brushless Outrunner, which appears to be identical to the AXI 2808 that BH Models recommended. I've had great experiences with the Turnigy motors. Also am replacing the flimsy wire landing gear with flat aluminum struts the same dimensions and 60mm light-weight foam wheels and fiberglass wheel pants. Now it will look like it's supposed to look like.

Thanks for your input!
I used the G-Force 480 from Value Hobbies and it does take it for a ride... WOW. Most of the time I use half throttle and it has plenty of power then.
Good motor at a good price and cheap shipping charges...

http://www.valuehobby.com/index.php