RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum DX6i recall

Old 02-24-2009, 04:35 AM
Liquidity
Combat Vet

Default Spektrum DX6i recall

Thought you all would like to know about this.

February 23, 2009

Product Recall: Spektrum DX6i transmitters with date codes 807E, 808E, 809E, 810E, 811E, 812E, and 901E

Attention DX6i Users

On January 30, 2009, Horizon Hobby, Inc. issued a service bulletin for Spektrum DX6i transmitters due to a concern of potential issues with stick potentiometers. Consumers were strongly advised to conduct a test to see if symptoms of these potential issues were present.
After closely monitoring the situation, Horizon has determined that we need to physically inspect all DX6i transmitters with date codes containing 807E, 808E, 809E, 810E, 811E, 812E, and 901E, including those ending in "US", "UK", or "DE". The date code will be found inside the battery compartment.

If your DX6i has one of these date codes
•Stop using your transmitter.

•Click here to request a shipping call tag to return your DX6i to Horizon.

•You may also e-mail the Horizon Hobby Product Support team [email protected] to request a shipping call tag; please put "DX6i Transmitter Recall" in the subject line and include your shipping address, daytime phone number, and the date code from your DX6i.

•If you have any questions, you can call us at 877-504-0233.

•Only the transmitter needs to be returned. Please remove your batteries prior to shipping.

•Horizon will pay for all ground shipping within the United States and Canada.

•Each transmitter will be inspected for the issue, repaired or replaced if necessary, and returned as soon as possible. We will work as quickly as possible, but we ask for your patience.

•Due to the possibility of replacement, please document for your own records any model programs prior to shipping.

•Inspected, repaired, or replaced DX6i transmitters will have date codes ending in "CM", "LH", "HA", or "X". No further action will be needed on transmitters with those suffixes.

•Consumers outside the US and Canada should contact their local retailer or distributor. International distributors may be found here.

If your DX6i does not have the listed date code

•DX6i owners whose transmitters do not have the above date codes are still advised to follow the January 30th service bulletin.

•As with all R/C aircraft, please check your controls prior to each flight.

Horizon Hobby and the Spektrum team apologize for this inconvenience. Your safety and enjoyment of the hobby are our first and foremost priority.
If you have any questions please call 1-877-504-0233.

Copyright © 2009 Horizon Hobby. All rights reserved.
If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter, you may unsubscribe
Please send any questions, comments, or concerns to [email protected]
Mailing Address: Horizon Hobby, Inc., 4105 Fieldstone Rd., Champaign, IL 61822
Spektrum is used with permission from Bachmann Industries, Inc.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:47 PM
buzzbomber
Matt Smith

Yep. I saw that, but mine is missing the date code sticker. I have no idea if mine is from that range or not. I got mine January '08... I'm gonna guess that the four digits in the date code are a month/year, so I should be prior to that.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:48 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Matt,

Call Spektrum customer service; I'd bet with your serial number they can tell you if yours needs checking.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:54 PM
dogsheep
Banned

Originally Posted by buzzbomber View Post
Yep. I saw that, but mine is missing the date code sticker. I have no idea if mine is from that range or not. I got mine January '08... I'm gonna guess that the four digits in the date code are a month/year, so I should be prior to that.
Buzz, I bought mine is April 2008 and it does NOT have the smaller or second sticker, either. I called and was told "Don't worry. It is only those that have the second sticker, which ends in an 'E'".

So, it appears mine was manufactured in February 2008: the large sticker has "2008" in print and a large "2" by hand.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:01 PM
slipstick
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by dogsheep View Post
So, it appears mine was manufactured in February 2008: the large sticker has "2008" in print and a large "2" by hand.
You should find that the large sticker has one of the numbers 1 to 12 stamped/marked/crossed. The one in the picture has the 9 marked, to go with its 809E sticker.

Steve
Old 02-25-2009, 10:16 PM
buzzbomber
Matt Smith

Hey, thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'll take a closer look and call if necessary.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:34 PM
Andrew James

Default No Sticker means you don't have to send it back

Product Recall: Spektrum DX6i transmitters with date codes 807E, 808E, 809E, 810E, 811E, 812E, and 901E

Note: If your transmitter DOES NOT have a date code, it DOES NOT need to be sent in.

Please continue to do normal pre-flight and monitor tests according to your product manual and the January 30th service bulletin.
On January 30, 2009, Horizon Hobby, Inc. issued a service bulletin for Spektrum DX6i transmitters due to a concern of potential issues with stick potentiometers. Consumers were strongly advised to conduct a test to see if symptoms of these potential issues were present.
After closely monitoring the situation, Horizon has determined that we need to physically inspect all DX6i transmitters with date codes containing 807E, 808E, 809E, 810E, 811E, 812E, and 901E, including those ending in "US", :"UK", or "DE". The date code will be found inside the battery compartment.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:35 PM
jupiter1
Lost in space

Originally Posted by Andrew James View Post

Note: If your transmitter DOES NOT have a date code, it DOES NOT need to be sent in.

Please continue to do normal pre-flight and monitor tests according to your product manual and the January 30th service bulletin.
After closely monitoring the situation, Horizon has determined that we need to physically inspect all DX6i transmitters with date codes containing 807E, 808E, 809E, 810E, 811E, 812E, and 901E, including those ending in "US", :"UK", or "DE". The date code will be found inside the battery compartment.
Copy from your link to bulletin,

"Radios with a date codes of 809E, 810E, 811E, 812E should be carefully checked. If your radio does not have a date code, the test is still advisable. And please, as is common, check your controls before flight. "

copy from email I received ,

"If your DX6i does not have the listed date code

DX6i owners whose transmitters do not have the above date codes are still advised to follow the January 30th service bulletin."

Looks like no date needs to be checked as well .

Dave .
Old 02-26-2009, 12:38 AM
Guga
BlimpShowDirigeables

Before any one send his TX in...
watch this "HOW TO" video and make a test yourself on the TX...
They say if it passes the test... you do not have to send it...

http://horizonhobby.cachefly.net/DX6i%20potentiometer%20defect.wmv

Old 02-26-2009, 12:46 AM
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer

that stinks, i read the part about writting down all your model memorys, Man that really sucks, I keep saying I am going to type mine up for each model myself incase anything ever happened but i have not dun it. i got 10 models in mine.

I dont see why the radio comps cant put in a slot for SD card then DL it to card and save it or put on your PC then you never have to worry.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:34 AM
Liquidity
Combat Vet

Originally Posted by Foamiesrfun View Post

I dont see why the radio comps cant put in a slot for SD card then DL it to card and save it or put on your PC then you never have to worry.
I completely agree. The JR9303 has this feature. Would have been nice if the other radios had it
Old 02-26-2009, 02:30 AM
jupiter1
Lost in space

Originally Posted by Foamiesrfun View Post
that stinks, i read the part about writting down all your model memorys, Man that really sucks, I keep saying I am going to type mine up for each model myself incase anything ever happened but i have not dun it. i got 10 models in mine.

Yea a real pain . I had 10 models in mine also . Was going to get a second DX6i but this recall thing turned me away from that . Did find a new DX7 , TX only ,for sale on this site at a great price so I bought that . Guess I'll use the DX6i for foamies and small planes when it gets back from the recall .
Old 02-26-2009, 02:32 AM
Liquidity
Combat Vet

Did you get the DX7 from Powerlines?
Old 02-26-2009, 02:38 AM
*rider
Always Fixing Something

Hrmm, mine has no date codes whatsoever, I saw the potentiometer advisory and the recall notice, I performed the tests and mine appears OK. I don't want to send it in unless I'm convinced it has an issue. I've never experienced an issue with it thus far.

As previously stated in another thread I'm contemplating a dx7 vs. an x9303 next. I need something better soon!
Old 02-26-2009, 03:43 AM
jupiter1
Lost in space

Originally Posted by Liquidity View Post
Did you get the DX7 from Powerlines?
Roger that .
Old 02-26-2009, 04:48 AM
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer

Originally Posted by Liquidity View Post
I completely agree. The JR9303 has this feature. Would have been nice if the other radios had it
Oh I was un aware any of them had it, I know the Futaba 9cap or whatever got the thing to take out one put in another radio. but didnt know any used any type SD card. thats really nice to have something like that, it wouldnt be hard for them to put it in all radios. Cell phones,PDAs, everything uses them.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:58 AM
Sabrehawk

Smile

I think wer'e all getting too spoiled, I still remember having all setting info on index cards, one for each plane and going through it like a preflight checklist. The radio I used then was an Airtronics 7SP Module series.
Probably wouldnt be a bad thing to do now, just in case of data loss for some reason.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:20 PM
rrp

FYI for all Dx6i users. I questioned Horizon about the recall and the do-at-home tests for these TXs. Their reply:

All radios with the date codes of 807E, 808E, 809E, 810E, 811E, 812E, 901E need to come in regardless of if they pass the test or not.

<DIV>Chris Puckett
Horizon Hobby
Product Support Team

<FONT face="Courier New" color=navy size=2>
Old 02-27-2009, 10:42 PM
slipstick
Super Contributor

And just to complete the instructions:
Radios without those date codes should be tested but do not need to come in unless they fail the test.
--------------------------

What Horizon UK told me was that radios with the July 2008 to Jan 2009 date codes have an unacceptably high rate of pot failure so should all be sent in for full checks. Outside those dates there is an extremely low failure rate so no need to send them in unless you see a problem.

Steve
Old 02-28-2009, 12:06 AM
jupiter1
Lost in space

Any one send one in yet and if so have you received it back yet ? Just wondering about the turn around time. Still waiting on the call tag for mine .
Old 02-28-2009, 02:00 AM
rrp

Originally Posted by jupiter1 View Post
Any one send one in yet and if so have you received it back yet ? Just wondering about the turn around time. Still waiting on the call tag for mine .
Good question. I e-mailed Horizon for an estimate. I'll post it when they reply. I expect my tag next week.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:40 PM
rrp

Unhappy

Originally Posted by rrp View Post
Good question. I e-mailed Horizon for an estimate. I'll post it when they reply. I expect my tag next week.
From Horizon -

We are currently runninga 15-20 business day turn around time.

Chris Puckett
Horizon Hobby
Product Support Team
4105 Fieldstone Rd
Champaign IL 61822
1-877-504-0233.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:59 PM
jupiter1
Lost in space

They must be getting a head of the curve , mine was received at Horizon 3/6 , got it back today . 13 days is not too bad when you consider they included a new AR6100 rx for free .
Old 03-21-2009, 04:00 PM
Scruffy

I got mine back yesterday. Thats about 17 days for me. They replaced both gimble pots and the digital trim electronics. Go figure, I did the test and it all looked alright Im glad I sent it in. I also recived the free RX.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:17 AM
rrp

Got mine back a few days ago. No issues. Horizon handled this matter very well. I was expecting a horror show.