3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

Mini Tumbleweed

Old 03-17-2009, 01:11 AM
FL Knifemaker
All I Need are Elevons

Default Mini Tumbleweed

I did a search and found a press release:

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7988

I also found a few mentions but nothing about anyone actually owning or flying one.

Long story short, I picked one up from a local seller. I thought it was interesting because they were made right here in Lakeland, FL. It's NIB and looks to be very well made........and the price was right

Two things that make me want to get creative......

First, it has wire push/pull control rods with bent end connections. I want to replace them with single direction CF with nylon "clevii"

Second, it has flaps I never flew a 3D plane that had or needed flaps. My thought is to just make the ailerons larger and eliminate them. Then again, for doing slow passes they might be fun.

Has anyone flown one?? Seen one?? Any information greatly appreciated!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblewood.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	96512  
Old 03-20-2009, 02:49 PM
EDFrules
GravesRC enabler d:)

Saw one at a club in O-town once. Looked nicely constructed but with the low wing it looked kind of dubious for 3D flying. Hard to tell how well it would 3D as the guy just sport flew it around. Appeared to have some wing rock when he slowed down for landing(without flaps he didn't install a servo or make flaperons either) Aileron area looked a little smallish. I was kind of mystified as to why a 3D plane would need seperate flaps, just extra weight you don't need. If you don't use a Y-connector on your aileron servos and have a computer radio you can program in flaperons without needing seperate flap servo(s). Good luck, let us know how she flies. Also if you're up for some fun next weekend:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3599
Old 03-25-2009, 02:02 AM
pvtzemerak
3D Huckifyer!

I wanted one awhile back ago. Didnt have the RC experience, good luck with yours!
--PvT
Old 07-16-2009, 03:10 PM
FL Knifemaker
All I Need are Elevons

Thanks for the replies and sorry for not checking back sooner. This plane is still sitting in the box. Not looking to make a killing, I'd just rather see someone finish and fly it. If anyone might be interested in it, shoot me a PM. It's well made and should be a great flier, as mentioned maybe not for full blown 3D. It has flaps too which could be fun.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:31 AM
EDFrules

Good to meet you in person Neil! Small world-eh? Let us know how your Tumbleweed and you new T-Rex 500 fly when you get them done. Good luck and keep 'em flyin'! I'll be in the heli dept or planes depending on the day or how busy it is.

Jason
Old 08-08-2009, 03:16 PM
FL Knifemaker
All I Need are Elevons

Originally Posted by EDFrules View Post
Good to meet you in person Neil! Small world-eh? Let us know how your Tumbleweed and you new T-Rex 500 fly when you get them done. Good luck and keep 'em flyin'! I'll be in the heli dept or planes depending on the day or how busy it is.

Jason
Hi Jason!

It was nice meeting you!! I have the 500 ready to maiden. I'm still not comfortable with all the Tx settings but I have someone local that will give everything the once over and help me with the first flights.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:17 AM
EDFrules

Hope you get it sorted out. I've got a 450 on the bench now. I'm a newb so I'm getting Mark Graves to set it up for me. He's the setup guru if you need some assistance. Come on by the store and he can test fly it for you and get it totally dialed in if need be. I'm not flying mine till he does! I've seen enough wadded up helis brought in that should have been set up properly so as to avoid the walk of shame Good luck and keep em' flyin'!

Jason