Indoor & Micro Electric Planes Talk about indoor & Micro electric powered flight here

Micro mosquito is garbage.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:32 PM
jschall

Default Micro mosquito is garbage.

Well, I'm done repairing this thing. No more. It's been wrecked several times by its habit of going into a spin that takes 30+ feet to recover from, out of a relatively gentile turn. This flying level at full throttle, so it's not like the plane is going too slow. I checked the CG, per the manual it is fine. I can fly the um p-51 totally fine.

Out of the box, the vertical stab is the weakest I've ever seen on a parkzone micro plane, and that's saying something for sure. The motors were uneven, they sent me a new set of motors that fixed the problem but that meant I had to take apart a nacelle.

It won't do a damn loop. It's not powerful enough. It won't even do a straight one out of a dive. Even with careful rudder control, I still couldn't get it to do one.

The stock battery is so incredibly weak for the plane that the startup current of the motors causes the receiver to cut out momentarily.

Don't buy this plane. Nothing but problems. Stick with the single engine ones.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:32 PM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

While I do appreciate people's honest reviews on products, Considering this is the first bad thing I've heard about the PZ Mosquito, and it's been around a while, I would have to think there must be something wrong with the one you got. Maybe it has a bad ESC or something.

I'm not trying to discredit you or anything, just saying this doesn't seem to be the common experience with this plane. And if you don't have another same product to compare it side-by-side to, it might be hard to tell. I went through a similar issue with a plane I got.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:39 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

He's not the only one on this forum reporting problems with that model: http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...ht=UM+mosquito

But others seem to do ok: http://vimeo.com/20671791.. certainly doing some decent loops (and rolls) in this video.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:02 AM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Oh, I missed that other thread. I guess there must be something going on with a few of them.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:24 AM
tampaflyer
to the skies of tampa

is this while making cordinating turns or just banking and yank. a lot of twins don't like that. and on smaller wings that could be bad quickly.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:15 AM
slipstick
Super Contributor

It's always possible that there are one or two bad examples about but the half dozen that I know of flying round here (including mine) will all loop easily from level flight. And when I tried to persuade mine to stall or spin it was nearly impossible. In fact it's so easy to fly that it's now my most frequently flown model by a long way.

OTOH I don't thrash it round on full throttle all the time so perhaps that has something to do with it....it's not really intended to be a pylon racer .

Steve
Old 06-14-2011, 02:43 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
RDRC

Originally Posted by jschall View Post
This flying level at full throttle, so it's not like the plane is going too slow.
Sounds like an Accelerated Stall.....to much AoA for its airspeed.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:50 PM
jschall

Originally Posted by tampaflyer View Post
is this while making cordinating turns or just banking and yank. a lot of twins don't like that. and on smaller wings that could be bad quickly.
Coordinated turns, well as I could judge. Don't exactly have a ball to keep in the middle.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:15 PM
Honestd

Parkzone should investigate this, it would be a shame for someone reading this forum and making a purchse decision afterward.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:20 AM
Wrongway-Feldman

Originally Posted by Honestd View Post
Parkzone should investigate this, it would be a shame for someone reading this forum and making a purchse decision afterward.
These problems must be isolated occurrences.
I've had mine for months and it flies circles around the other micro offerings.
Loops, rolls, inverted flight, never a problem. Lots of power. Very fast for a micro.
And decent battery life.
I take off and land ( sometimes ) off the prep bench at the club field. Maybe 3 feet wide. Only use half that before it airborne. This is a terrific little plane IMHO.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:58 PM
ggunners

Yeah, my Mossie flies good too. It could use some more down thrust on the motors. But the full throttle climb out is not so violent as to be uncontrollable.

In the first post the model seems to have more issues than any other I've heard of. A weak battery, either battery or charger is bad. Tip stalling, excessive rearward CG or warped wing.

All of these things can be fixed, I probably would have asked for a full exchange as this one sounds like a lemon. It does happen.

-- ggunners