3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

Precision Aerobatics Katana

Old 04-26-2006, 04:59 AM
Drumbum

Default Precision Aerobatics Katana

Any one have one? i just ordered one and due to my good experience with the EF torque motor in my EF extra 300 where im using the 400 watt. i am using the 277 watt version in the katana..
Old 04-27-2006, 07:19 PM
Mike Parsons
Penguins still can't fly

I flew the prototype. Great flying plane. I used a Himax in a Cobri gearbox on mine. 250 watts if I recall and plenty of juice. So 277 watts will be even better
Old 04-28-2006, 01:57 PM
Ryguy

I've got one, and it ROCKS!!!!!!!!
Old 04-28-2006, 01:58 PM
Ryguy

Oh, I'm using the same Torque motor that you are. Absolutely insane vertical on a 11x4.7 APC SF. I love this plane. Rock solid harriers, hovers could be better (the new version with the bigger rudder should help), and the most precise plane I've ever flown.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:21 AM
Drumbum

recieved it today.. looks pretty nice. have to get working on it..I got the purple scheme
Old 04-29-2006, 06:13 AM
Ryguy

Purple? Purple?!?

I've got red, but, they all fly the same, so that's what matters.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:14 AM
Ryguy

Oh,
Old 04-29-2006, 06:15 AM
Ryguy

Oh, and good luck with the build and maiden!!! Check out the massive thread on RCGroups for more info, they know way more about it than I do. Check out the mod thread too.
Old 04-30-2006, 04:41 AM
Drumbum

what,, you dont like purple
Old 04-30-2006, 09:37 PM
Ryguy

Purple is my least favorite of the KM colors. It was between yellow and red for me.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:29 AM
Drumbum

Finally got some time to start on it. Build is going together well. the only quirk i found so far was the elevator notch was cut crooked. Its an easy fix but i just thought i would mention that so that someone who is building one would be sure to check it before glueing.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:46 PM
Ryguy

It mentions that in the instructions. Its crooked a bit on most. I'd recommend adding a bit of washout to the ailerons too. Then it's a LOT easier to harrier.
Old 05-06-2006, 03:27 AM
Drumbum

WAshout up or down?

well im done.. the only gripes i have were the pushrods (didnt trust em after they would just pull out of the heat shrink) and the canopy fit (was like it wasnt even the right canopy).. the pushrods,i just used music wire that went the whole length and heatshrinked the carbon rod to the side all the way down. and on the canopy i have to get a new one from cliff because i tried to help it contour with the heat gun and my heat was a little to high if you know what i mean..
Old 05-06-2006, 06:45 AM
Ryguy

Hee hee, sorry, I should have warned you about the canopy. I messed the original up, it didn't fit up with the fuse well. After I broke it in the crash, I tried something different on the new one. I glued it on the front and sides, getting it to fit into the fuse straight, but just left the back of it long and didn't glue it down. Looks fine, and fits perfectly. I went ahead and used the pushrods, they work, but be sure to reinforce them with some extra glue.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:46 AM
Ryguy

Oh, and about the washout, bend the aileron tips up. I'd also recommend some spoileron programming on the radio.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:57 AM
Sparkorama

Looking to buy a used Katana Mini. Anyone have a suggestion?
Spark
Old 05-09-2006, 10:11 AM
Rugar
FAA# OUTLAW!

Originally Posted by Sparkorama View Post
Looking to buy a used Katana Mini. Anyone have a suggestion?
Spark
Why used? Unless you happen to find a really great deal on one, the price you pay for a used one and the shipping costs on a assembled plane probably wont end up being much cheaper then buying a new one to begin with.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:43 AM
Sparkorama

Default Why used

The reason I would like a used one is so that I don't have to build it, and sometimes I can save some $$ from brand new. These babies are getting expensive.
Spark
Old 05-10-2006, 03:56 AM
Ryguy

$120 isn't bad, and they're not difficult to build. It is an ARF. Besides, you won't find anybody willing to part with a Katana!!
Old 05-10-2006, 04:30 AM
Sparkorama

Default I am no builder

I have looked at the mod threads and realized I am really no builder. I just like to fly. Is that so wrong? LOL. If you love building, why not sell me yours and build another? Then you could do even more mods with the new one? JOY!
Spark
Old 05-10-2006, 09:14 PM
Ryguy

I can't build at all. I broke the thing about three times before even getting it in the air. I didn't do any of their mods to it either, and mine flies great. After I crashed it, it was three months before I got around to doing the hour worth of work to get it in the air again, that's how much I hate building. However, this plane fits together very easilly. Anybody can build it. All the mods do is add weight, and don't really effect the flight performance. If you won't get this plane just because of the short build time it does require, you are really missing out on an excellent plane.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:45 PM
Flyinghigh

Originally Posted by Ryguy View Post
$120 isn't bad, and they're not difficult to build. It is an ARF. Besides, you won't find anybody willing to part with a Katana!!
Yes I love mine,really nice flyer! Suprised not much more on it over here.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:26 AM
Ryguy

Ok, I have a confession to make. I was making a low slow pass, not a harrier, and the 10 mph wind just completely changed directions on me. I gave it full elevator, thinking I'd just land, but, the nose just dropped (that happens with no airflow over the wings). It ripped the LG out of the fuselage, then the wheels hit the wings and crushed them. I've already bought a new one, used from a kid, should be here this week.

Man, I was getting good too. 10 foot rolling harriers, tail touches in hovers. Dang.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:13 PM
Flyinghigh

Hey Ryguy I tore out my gear last weekend.Low and slow no wind though ,no other damage to the plane. Really is a sweet little flyer,guess it could use a little more rudder but I just keep my expo down for faster response, It also does some great knife edging for me.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:11 PM
Ryguy

Did you rip out the fuse or did the gear just break? I've broken the carbon gear plenty of times, so I finally go the aluminum gear. I got the new (to me) one yesterday, ought to fly great!

Quick Reply: Precision Aerobatics Katana

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10622 seconds with 12 queries