3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

Best 3D plane manufacturers?

Old 08-11-2013, 05:01 AM
GunnyJeeves

Default Best 3D plane manufacturers?

Hi all,

I am about to grab my first balsa 3D plane...

That's a huge step for me. I have flown foamies over 57" and the usual suspects from Parkzone, as well as Hobby King.

I have a few first picks, but don't really know all the balsa arf players.

Looking at: 40-60" planes
HK Domin8trix - looks awesome. Reviewed as flimsy but fixable with carbon fiber.
3dhs Edge 540 48" version.
Extreme flight 48" Yak 54
Phoenix Edge 540 .46 version...
Great planes Yak 54 41" version, but not liking the assembly.

That's about all the vendors I know...

Where else can I look?
Old 08-11-2013, 05:29 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Jetplaneflyer and NJSwede are my go-to guys for 3D. I'm just a rookie when it comes to 3D. Have my patternship Formosa II and a 3DHS 48" Super Vyper. Going to buy an EPP type to practice on.

But I don't think you can go wrong with what you're listing. I'm biased becasue I've had the privledge to meet Ben Fisher and the 3DHS guys. Excellent company and great people. Alot also depends on how well you equip these planes. Omega, Motorfly,Torque etc on the motors and Hitec or Savox on the servos and you're there.

May want to also check in at: http://www.3drcforums.com/forum.php

Good luck !

-Hawk

It's all 3D, all the time.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:36 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Nitro Planes has some nice Planes,

$87.20

http://www.nitroplanes.com/90a283-sb...-kit-blue.html

http://www.nitroplanes.com/3d.html

Old 08-11-2013, 05:38 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

http://www.nitroplanes.com/90a283-sb...it-orange.html

$79.20

Old 08-11-2013, 05:41 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

http://www.nitroplanes.com/90a297-raven-50-kit.html

$87.20

Old 08-11-2013, 05:48 AM
GunnyJeeves

I saw the Raven.. Forgot about that one.

Would they all be on par with each other? I tend to like Russian planes like SU-26, Yak 54 or Edge 540. The Raven is like a 540, so I am cool with that.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:48 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

I have had very good luck with Nitroplanes ARF kits, they are built very well
Old 08-11-2013, 05:50 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by GunnyJeeves View Post
I saw the Raven.. Forgot about that one.

Would they all be on par with each other? I tend to like Russian planes like SU-26, Yak 54 or Edge 540. The Raven is like a 540, so I am cool with that.
IMHO Yes they would be, I still have my Nitro planes Funtana 3D Plane, that is one tough plane too, my 2- 72 mhz Jr receiver did not like E Power and caused the airplane to crash twice, untill i figured out that 2 of my jr receivers dont like e power, i repaired the plane and bought a DX6i 2.4 radio and a AR6200 full range receiver, and that took care of the glitching / crashing problem, the plane is still in one piece My 2 jr 72 Mhz receivers got the BFH treatment i was still learning about e power at the time, now i use Berg Receivers with 72 Mhz.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:11 AM
GunnyJeeves

Hehe... Every "favorite plane" I have came from Nitroplanes actually.

First was the Dynam SU26, then the Aerosky Extra 330.

I always felt ripped off with parkzone. That's changing slowly now though. Have a 540qq, UMX Beast, and Inverza, and they're all great. Still overpriced. I just don't know the balsa side.

All I have figured out is "cloned electronics are horrible" but "Chinese branded electronics are fine".

I swear by OrangeRX, Dynam, FMS, Tarot, CopterX, Flysky and Turnigy products.

Me, the misses, and our three kids fly. (Helis, quads, and aerobatic planes)
Old 08-11-2013, 06:16 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hehe... Every "favorite plane" I have came from Nitroplanes actually.

First was the Dynam SU26, then the Aerosky Extra 330.

I always felt ripped off with parkzone. That's changing slowly now though. Have a 540qq, UMX Beast, and Inverza, and they're all great. Still overpriced. I just don't know the balsa side.

All I have figured out is "cloned electronics are horrible" but "Chinese branded electronics are fine".

I swear by OrangeRX, Dynam, FMS, Tarot, CopterX, Flysky and Turnigy products.

Me, the misses, and our three kids fly. (Helis, quads, and aerobatic planes)
Thats Great That your Whole Family Flies my 3 boys did not really care for model aviation very much, they flew a little with me, My Father got me started with a Cox pt-19 at age 12, that was so much fun, i never left model aviation, and now 47 years later, i am still flying Rc and CL it keeps me looking Young Turnigy Esc are the best ESC for the money, Take care and have fun, Chellie
Old 08-11-2013, 07:39 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Looking at: 40-60" planes
HK Domin8trix - looks awesome. Reviewed as flimsy but fixable with carbon fiber.
3dhs Edge 540 48" version.
Extreme flight 48" Yak 54
Phoenix Edge 540 .46 version...
Great planes Yak 54 41" version, but not liking the assembly.

That's about all the vendors I know...

Where else can I look?
Unfortunately, the mfg stopped making them, but if you can find one, check this out:

Hangar 9 Kantana Model
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68844

This one isn't bad either:
Hanger 9 Twist 40 Model
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70548
Old 08-11-2013, 02:40 PM
WileECoyote

3D HS or Extreme Flight are the better ones to check out , combos are very reasonable !
Old 08-11-2013, 03:19 PM
Tscience
Tscience

Check out Precision Aerobatics a little expensive but generally regarded as one of the best very light and durable .
Old 08-11-2013, 06:38 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Yeah, if it's 'the best' you are after then 3D Hobby Shop or Extreme Flight are the ones to look at, You cant go wrong with any of their models, they are all top quality and they all fly great.

Precision Aerobatics are worth a look too but in my experience some of their detailing isn't quite up to 3DHS or EF standards and their customer service doesn't match the quality of their models. But if you are looking for super lightweight 'floaty' balsa 3D models then they are worth a close look because they do build lighter than anything else.

Yhey are all excellent value but don't expect bargain basement prices like you might find in some places, to a large extent you get what you pay for.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:33 AM
GunnyJeeves

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Yeah, if it's 'the best' you are after then 3D Hobby Shop or Extreme Flight are the ones to look at, You cant go wrong with any of their models, they are all top quality and they all fly great.

Precision Aerobatics are worth a look too but in my experience some of their detailing isn't quite up to 3DHS or EF standards and their customer service doesn't match the quality of their models. But if you are looking for super lightweight 'floaty' balsa 3D models then they are worth a close look because they do build lighter than anything else.

Yhey are all excellent value but don't expect bargain basement prices like you might find in some places, to a large extent you get what you pay for.
I ended up grabbing up 2 of em. Extreme Flight Yak 54 and Edge 540. Can tell you the fit and finish is amazing! Price was too for what I got I think.

Building one with torque motor and airboss esc and will build other one with Turnigy / Hobby King gear and see what happens.

They are both awesome and seem to be just the right size. Off the bat I like that the wings and surfaces are pre cut for the hinges. Everything fits like a glove and shines like automotive paint!

Wish me luck
Old 09-15-2013, 06:46 PM
GunnyJeeves

For Posterity:

I wanted to post on this once more. I still don't have direct experience with the cheaper balsa planes, but I can tell you all that Extreme Flight is VERY VERY durable. Full speed crash into grass and weeds width-of-a-dime like small trees, and nothing BROKE! My CF landing struts cracked and splintered, but that's it. I temporarily fixed em by wrapping tissue paper around the cracks and liberally coating with CA. (Kind of quazi-CA-fiber on demand.)

This seems as strong as it was before, and a replacement part would be about $20.

I'm pretty sure that 3DHS, and Precision Aerobatics planes are similar in durability.

I feel like I understand why for PA (Like Extreme Flight, they use CF in their build along with Balsa and ply.)

That said. I think there is a great difference in these planes that outweighs the price difference on other models at least in the 40-60 inch categories.

The best overall deal in the category however is probably the Nitroplanes 73 inch Ravens and Sbachs at about $180 compared to their $600+ brethren.

Good luck all!