General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Ebay scam selling $100 and $200 Futaba 14sg radios

Old 01-02-2015, 05:11 PM
rutanman
Paul Dalansky

Default Ebay scam selling $100 and $200 Futaba 14sg radios

Just wanted to pass the word to WattFlyer RC.

Please pass the word to anyone that you know in r/c.

In the past week or so, we have had many new ads on Ebay selling Futaba 14sg radios for either $200 or $100. This radio usually carries a price around $600 USD.

So far there has been 381 radios sold under 38 different ebay id's. Most of the ads are for $100 radios (quantity of 10 for sale per ad). All of these seller accounts look like they have been hacked. (a hacked ebay account is when a third party has gained access to a Seller's username and password).

Anyways, here's the links to the r/c sites describing the scam:

RCGroups:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2312081

Flying Giants:
http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=94079

Helifreak:
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?p=6275940
Old 01-02-2015, 05:59 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Old adage applies: 'If it seems too good to be true then is usually is'
Old 01-02-2015, 07:58 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

They say there's a sucker born every minute. For this scam it looks like there were a LOT of suckers born all at the same time. I have a hard time feeling sorry for anyone that got taken on something this obvious.

Joe
Old 01-02-2015, 08:26 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Turbojoe View Post
They say there's a sucker born every minute. For this scam it looks like there were a LOT of suckers born all at the same time. I have a hard time feeling sorry for anyone that got taken on something this obvious.

Joe
I think many of the buyers probably suspected that it might be a scam but went for it anyway on the off chance that it might just be genuine, but in the knowledge that if it wasn't legit eBay buyer protection or Paypal would refund them.

This attitude no doubt explains why eBay and Paypal fees are so high
Old 01-02-2015, 08:38 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
I think many of the buyers probably suspected that it might be a scam but went for it anyway on the off chance that it might just be genuine, but in the knowledge that if it wasn't legit eBay buyer protection or Paypal would refund them.

Bingo! You hit that nail right on the head!

Joe
Old 01-02-2015, 11:58 PM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post

Ya I was thinking the same thing about the attitude of buy one who cares if it is a scam I will get my money back. PayPal will go after those bogus sellers, but what is the chance they will recoup their loss. You know the price for those radios is waaay off.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:04 AM
jcstalls

Ya,
Personally, Little difference between one that whats something for free, or way too cheap, and a thief in the night.

But our world is different now. Sadly, I will stick to the old.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:32 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I know from my own sad experience that Paypal and Ebay do not always do what they say they can ...

The scam artists on eBay go both ways ... cheap price for claimed article as here - fail to supply, but keep the money ... or the ones who buy in at price we pay properly - then offer out at inflated price on eBay by jacking up shipping etc.

People fall for both - why ? Because people actually believe eBay is like auctions you actually attend ... good for a bargain. Sadly that is often not the case. Too many times you see articles go for higher price than you pay in the street.

Secondly many people buying on eBay do not know proper price or other sites to buy same article from ... take a newbie into RC ... check out ebay and the crappy claims made for crappy gear ... they buy ! They don't know any better.

Nigel
Old 01-03-2015, 04:51 PM
jeholliday

I too wonder about some of these people on the Ebay. I think 99% don't even know what they have. And as I told several that gave me a second chance on a kit or engine, I'm not a collector. I can't see paying 100+ dollars for a kit that sold for 9.95. I watched an engine go for over $300.00 that originally sold for 5.95. Some people have more money than brains.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:11 PM
jcstalls

well, we traded gold for around $35 and ounze back in the mid 70's.
We sold our ok house back in 09 for $485K that we paid $209K and was about 18k new.
All relitive
Old 01-03-2015, 08:33 PM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by jeholliday View Post
I too wonder about some of these people on the Ebay. I think 99% don't even know what they have. And as I told several that gave me a second chance on a kit or engine, I'm not a collector. I can't see paying 100+ dollars for a kit that sold for 9.95. I watched an engine go for over $300.00 that originally sold for 5.95. Some people have more money than brains.

I too had a hard time wrapping my head around the price of old kits until a collector explained it. Much like people say collect china dolls there are those that collect old kits not to build. Everyone collects something.
That's why ads will say box in great conditions or showing a little wear. There is a web site that lists the going prices of old model plane kits by manufacturer. I was going to link the site to pricing of old kits, but I never booked marked it. Maybe someone here will know the site.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:58 PM
hillbille
Super Contributor

Hasn't Pay Pal altered it's buyer protection plan to $250 and above? What I mean is - unless the item paid for was above $250 - AND - had signature required delivery it would NOT be under the buyer protection plan.

If this is true then these "schemes" are flying well under that radar.

All these guy's need to do is send an empty envelope - or even a $6 priority box that is empty - and have delivery confirmation anywhere near the buyer's location and they are good to go for Pay Pal. They have proof of mailing and proof of delivery NEAR the buyers location (within the area code is deemed sufficient in most cases) and all because it was under $250.

I think that is WHY these scams are always listed under $250.

I wonder how many "claims" Pay Pal has processed for these?

Pay Pal and e-bay are separating - so they claim - but that will never be true as long as e-bay keeps insisting on Pay Pal as it's sole recognized payment method.

It's getting very hard to trust e-bay or Pay Pal. So many scams and so many dis-honest people are using them.

Hillbille
Old 01-03-2015, 09:14 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by hillbille View Post
It's getting very hard to trust e-bay or Pay Pal. So many scams and so many dis-honest people are using them.

Hillbille
Something else, copied directly from the Paypal web page:

How do I know if I'm purchasing an eligible Item? The following applies in addition to section 13.8, below:
Items purchased on eBay:
Look for the buyer protection message in the eBay listing in the right hand column under the Buy Safely banner. If you see this message, and you meet the eligibility requirements, then your purchase is covered by PayPal Buyer Protection. You can also view this message after you complete your purchase by logging in to your eBay account, going to "my eBay" and looking at the listing. If the listing does not include the buyer protection message, then it is not eligible for PayPal Buyer Protection.
The buyer protection message will vary based on the eBay website.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:30 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Another little tid-bit about Pay Pal and other seller e-commerce protection plans.......

The seller, at any Pay Pal certified e-commerce vendor site, must agree to pay a fee (%) for any protection they choose to include as part of the transaction agreement........with or without Pay Pal's protection included.....

That's the reason it's best to read all of the fine print with any transaction made through E-bay, or like, e-commerce first, second or third party transaction and distribution web account.