RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

FrSky 4ch rx. V8R4 II

Old 04-04-2015, 10:26 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Default FrSky 4ch rx. V8R4 II

I have a recurring little problem with these excellent park fly Rx's.

The antenna wire is easily lost as the connection is right at the edge at rear.

Pal of mine replaces his and one of mine with fine gauge shielded wire from PC gear. He then strips the shield for required length at end -- this then provides an antenna much better in installation. He can customize to model the length of shielded wire etc.

Can anyone provide a photo / diagram detailing where to solder the shield part and actual antenna connection ? One that I can zoom in on and sort this myself ?

I also need to find a supplier of such fine gauge shielded wire ! Anyone care to suggest a commercial size / description so I can search online ?

At present I repair myself by using standard wire, actually scrap lengths from old balance leads, just soldered same as factory ... without shield.

Nigel
Old 04-06-2015, 01:16 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
I have a recurring little problem with these excellent park fly Rx's.

The antenna wire is easily lost as the connection is right at the edge at rear.

Pal of mine replaces his and one of mine with fine gauge shielded wire from PC gear. He then strips the shield for required length at end -- this then provides an antenna much better in installation. He can customize to model the length of shielded wire etc.

Can anyone provide a photo / diagram detailing where to solder the shield part and actual antenna connection ? One that I can zoom in on and sort this myself ?

I also need to find a supplier of such fine gauge shielded wire ! Anyone care to suggest a commercial size / description so I can search online ?

At present I repair myself by using standard wire, actually scrap lengths from old balance leads, just soldered same as factory ... without shield.

Nigel
All I can suggest is that FrSky antennas are available in short and long premade for D4R and others and they are only a few cents or so for the short ones. Proper sheilded coax. http://boltrc.com/index.php?route=pr...h=75_76&page=3
Hope this helps.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:55 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Hi P ...

Unfortunately the 4ch does not use the plug in antenna - its a soldered plain wire to the tab right at edge of board. It's not easy to see this as the factory applies a gob of hot glue over the connection to add strain relief.

The 7 .. 8ch Rx's with twin antenna - yes they use the plugged versions and are available even in Hobby King as in most FrSky stocking outlets.

The plug version is good as it allows you to turn the antenna to point out at angle you want instead of like most other Rx's where you're stuck with it ...

The little 4ch though - the antenna being as it is - is vulnerable and can be broken off if not careful.
My latest repaired 4ch is flying the Mintana, watch the video and you see it's fine. But I'm still with the standard length unshielded wire. I want to do as my mate does - shielded wire and set to length to suit the model. Why don't I ask him ? With his work and mine - we only see each other rarely.

Nigel
Old 04-07-2015, 12:09 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

Actually what I meant Nigel was to buy maybe the long antenna and cut it to whatever length you wanted and solder it on. At least it is sheilded and the correct length already cut and exposed at the other end.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:32 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Panther View Post
Actually what I meant Nigel was to buy maybe the long antenna and cut it to whatever length you wanted and solder it on. At least it is sheilded and the correct length already cut and exposed at the other end.
That's what I was thinking to do. But if I can find such thin shielded wire in a roll, then I will have loads to cover the sackful of Rx's I use !

Does anyone know where the shield solders to ? I know where the inner antenna wire goes.

Nigel