RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Eagle A3 L Gyro from Motion RC Mini Test Report

Old 06-07-2015, 07:59 PM
Tepid Pilot

Default Eagle A3 L Gyro from Motion RC Mini Test Report

My A3 L is installed in a 3D Hobby Shop 41" Edge 540 that I've been flying for about eight months.

Setup could not have been easier. I connected the "mod" (flight mode) of the gyro to channel 5 on the Tactic TR 624 receiver and assigned channel 5 of the Tactic TTX 650 transmitter to three-way switch C. Position (1) is gyro off, position (0) is "normal" mode, and position (2) is "3D" mode. No channel 5 servo travel adjustments of any kind were needed or made.

Testing indicated reversal of the elevator and rudder gyro directions would be necessary. This was easily accomplished by following the steps outlined in the manual.

Prior to flight testing the gain adjustments for both "normal" and "3D" modes were set to approximately 11 o'clock. A range check, which I perform prior to the first flight of every airplane each day, was normal. "3D" mode is enabled, although I don't intend to use it... yet.

On the first flight I put the airplane a couple of mistakes high and switched on the gyro. After one procedure turn the wings started rocking back and forth slightly and rapidly, so I turned the gyro off, landed, and reset the gain modes to ten o'clock. Subsequent flights with the A3 L engaged were very smooth, but there was almost no wind. I noticed the airplane tracked straight and true through loops and cuban eights with almost no input from me.

Prior to the next series of test flights I set the "normal" mode gain to ten-thirty. There was no reccurance of the small oscillations on the roll axis. On this day the wind came up to a "breezy" in my face crosswind (probably 7-10mph) and the effect of the gyro was much more noticable. The airplane tracked effortlessly straight and smooth and landing was made easier.

At twenty-nine bucks shipped my Eagle A3 L was money well spent. I like it!

TP
AMA 59376