Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

The Wattflyer Sailplanes Thermal Duration Contest

Old 02-06-2013, 01:51 PM
mred
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Flier Dwight View Post
I didn't see anything in the rules about using
slope lift. I've stayed up for more than 3 hours
and not thought anything of it.
I think it should be mentioned that slope is not
thermal.
Flier Dwight
Slope flying is great and if you have a slope around handy, by all means fly it. BUT, in a thermal contest it is not exactly right to use slope flying to count as thermal. They are two different types of flying and you can't fly slope and call it thermal. The two just don't mix.

While this is a very informal contest and is up to the person flying to be honest about his times and place of flying, you can't count slope time as thermal. It just isn't fair and if you didn't have that slope and had to fly strictly thermal against someone else that did have a slope, how would you feel? It's not right and they cannot be combined. You can fly slope and have a contest doing that, but I don't know if one is active on any of the forums. Normally slope is not a duration type flying, but has other events in it, since time is not really a hard thing to get. On the other hand, it can be very hard to get time using strictly thermal flying. Try flying that for 3 hours and see what happens. You'll probably have everyone in this forums demanding to know your secret for getting flights like that.

Normally a thermal event is times and you have to make a 10 to 15 minuet flight with a spot landing and points are taken off for going over or under and then the spot landing points, so it can be a real challenge to do one great. Good luck on your thermal trials.....

Ed
Old 02-06-2013, 03:09 PM
Fig

You know a couple of days ago I read this thread and thought "this is absolute insane". Thirty, forty five, sixty minutes on a single power run. There's no way. Until yesterday. While I didn't make a flight to get me in the contest it was because I had to stop and work. I had a flight during lunch that could have easily attained the goal. I got into some thermals and was pretty high up when I had to force the plane back down. I looked at my timer and had been up 25 minutes. Had I wanted to (edit: not had to go back to work) I could have easily met the thirty min challenge and at this point figure the hour would have been easily attainable due to the fact that I came out later and rode another thermal back up on the later flight. It was a magical day and if that darn pesky work hadn't gotten in the way.. So now it's my goal to have another day like yesterday only meeting at least one of the challenges. It's really funny because I have had a glider for a long time and never did much thermal hunting with it. In the 90's we had a glider that we got in a thermal and it went pretty high. Then from what we can tell a piece of tape got caught on one of the control rods and the plane spiraled down crashing into the pavement close to us. Even knowing that it was a mechanical error I still never chased thermals until yesterday. I evidently couldn't have picked a better day either.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:53 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

This is not an offical flight log. I took my Easy Glider electric out today. Went to the slope and there was very little wind, maybe 4 mph. But it was just enough to keep the glider up, so I flew for 2 1/2 hours. Was a lot of fun.

Now, I did do a couple of climbs during the flight, just because I felt like it, so the flight does not count. But it was fun just working back and forth on the hill, scratching for enough lift to keep the glider in the air.

Had a number of people stand and talke with me. And a number of people complemented on how interesting to watch.

Not an offical contest report but I thought I would just check in and say hi!
Old 02-17-2013, 10:03 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

It's not an official contest by any means. Get out there and fly some thermals!
Old 02-17-2013, 09:14 PM
mred
Super Contributor

There is nothing that says we can't have fun. I never go out with the intention of breaking into a new level, but just to have fun. If I do manage to get a new level I am happy to take if, but I am happy with any flight that I fly and just go out to enjoy flying. Maybe that is why I haven't broken an hour yet, but I really don't care that much and if I break it great, if not, I still have fun and that is what all this is about, not getting to the next level. Just because you are on a slope doe snot mean you can't enjoy the experience. After all, is that not why we all fly to begin with, just to have fun? Sounds like a great day to me and hope you have many more.

Ed
Old 09-26-2017, 12:38 AM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

I was hoping to finally get a 30 Minute flight and I have finally done one!

Here's the details:

Glider name: Chrysalis-2Me
Date and Time of flight: Sept 25, 2017 2:10 pm
Duration of flight: 32:25 (after 35 sec motor run)
Max Altitude: 1387 ft

Extreme lift during most of the flight, I was deploying my spoilers just so I could keep it low enough to easily see. Then a large thunderhead cloud blocks the sun and I could feel the air crashing down. Maybe if I really knew what I was doing I could have kept going. Anyway, lots of Fun!

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Chrysals-2017-09-25.jpg (315.0 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg
DSCN1866.JPG (6.69 MB, 126 views)
Old 09-26-2017, 10:37 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Congratulations Steve! It's been a long time sine we've given out an award so it's nice to see this thread active again!
Old 09-27-2017, 11:52 PM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Don Sims View Post
Congratulations Steve! It's been a long time sine we've given out an award so it's nice to see this thread active again!
Thanks Don! I can't believe how many 28 and 29 minute flights I've had thinking about this little award.... I do need to get more of them. Is there a list of all of the awards anywhere? A quick search and I didn't find a list anywhere.

Steve
Old 09-28-2017, 10:46 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

The primary ones are 1-5 KW awards, speed demon starting over 100mph awards and more thermal duration awards. There is also some building contest awards if members revive those.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:28 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Cool

Originally Posted by Stevephoon View Post
I was hoping to finally get a 30 Minute flight and I have finally done one!

Here's the details:

Glider name: Chrysalis-2Me
Date and Time of flight: Sept 25, 2017 2:10 pm
Duration of flight: 32:25 (after 35 sec motor run)
Max Altitude: 1387 ft

Extreme lift during most of the flight, I was deploying my spoilers just so I could keep it low enough to easily see. Then a large thunderhead cloud blocks the sun and I could feel the air crashing down. Maybe if I really knew what I was doing I could have kept going. Anyway, lots of Fun!

Steve
Very nice flight! I enjoy those a lot.

I have had flights were other pilots were in lift too, all around the field, and all of a sudden the whole field lost lift and we all came down.