WWI Era Discuss all your favorite WWI warbirds here!

WWI planes

Old 09-12-2005, 04:24 AM
Walt Thyng
Walt

Dr. 1 build update. should ahve some more photos mid-week. landing gear and cabane struts all bent. Sprung tail skid test fitted. Interplane struts test fitted.
Thinking about the cowling: should I just throw balsa at it or try to make a fiberglass one over a foam mold.
Walt
Old 09-12-2005, 04:43 AM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default Plans for the DVIII

Hey WWI ace! Look to the post my son! Plans on the way! Of course you will keep us informed about the build won't you? I got bit by the FOKKER DVIII (Peter Rake 400 size, 36" WS) bug because of your inquiry and I think I will build one this winter. Watch for further developments Guys. BTW, WWI Ace, I'm adding ailerons to mine. After all, I don't want Anthony Fokker turning over in his grave!!! I have a really cool idea for you guys to comment on if you would be so kind. What do you think about me copying my coat of arms and applying to the fuse when I finish the camo scheme...sorta like a personal signature. I got the idea from the movie The Blue Max (one of my favorite movies BTW). Klugermanns DVII had his coat of arms on the fuse. Any of you Guys going to the NEAT fair this week in New York? I am. Are any of you guys building any WWI aircraft this winter? I would love to hear about it. I'd bet the others here would too. Boy this thread keeps going! You gotta love it. Keep in touch all. WWI scale rules! Martin
Old 09-13-2005, 12:54 AM
WWI Ace
triplane test pilot

Talking

I can't wait to see the plans Martin!!! When I get them I will see if I can figure out a way to make ailerons also. That would be too cool!!! I plan on this plane being my Winter build. I have the Blue Max movie on DVD. Great triplane footage!!! I think it would be cool to put your "signature" on the side of your plane. I say go for it! Look at all the crazy paint schemes the real Flying Circus guys had. I just finished building a Revell 1/28th scale Fokker triplane in the all flat black with white rudder scheme of Joeseph Jacobs. I'm sure that you have heard of him! When I don't build RC planes I build plastic warbirds. I've gathered quite a collection of WWI planes. I also have alot of books on WWI German planes. It's been so windy lately, (15-20mph) that I haven't been able to fly. I am building a Sig Fokker DVII parkflyer that I've had for about 2 years. I have a Hitec 3 channel radio that was laying around along with a old brushed 5amp ESC so I thought, "What the heck, I need a relaxing Sunday plane!" I know it isn't exactly scale but it looks okay for what it is. Let me know how you decide to put ailerons on your DVIII. Again, Thanks for the plans!!!
Old 09-13-2005, 12:57 AM
WWI Ace
triplane test pilot

Oh yeah Martin. I guess that your going to make the losenge camo pattern on your DVIII. How are you gonna do that? That's a pretty complicated pattern with alot of colors in it!!!
Old 09-13-2005, 01:09 AM
WWI Ace
triplane test pilot

Thumbs up

Walt!!! I think that as good as that tripe looks so far it would be a pity not to try a fiberglass cowl! I'm just not sure how well a balsa one would look, even with your expert building abilities. Besides, if your tripes are like mine, sometimes they become a handful after landing and like to flip up on their nose. Too much of that and the balsa might not fare very well!! But it's your plane and you do what you want. I'm just giving you the 2 cents from me that you asked for. Can't wait for more pics!!! Keep us posted. You and Martin are my inspiration to even attempt to build from a set of plans. I expect you two to keep me motivated and I'm sure I'll have more stupid questions for you guys to answer.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:38 AM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default CAMO for DVIII

Well WWI Ace/Fellas... I guess I'm asking for it but I will attempt to do a lozenge camo scheme on the DVIII. I am going to photo copy my Coat of Arms and shrink it to the proper size, then paste it to the fuse. Aerodrome RC has some interesting lozenge schemes you can print out and use. See the site for more info. If any more of you scratch builders want to swap plans, let me know. You know WWI Ace, I too build plastic models when the mood hits (I knew there was something I liked about you Ace). You probably are as obsessed with WWI aviation as I am. BTW Guys, I have a very extensive reference WWI aviation library that I continually add to (still have the first book I ever collected). I started my collection in 1969. I would be honored to help anyone who is seeking info. Just let me know. Hmmmm what shall I build next Decisions, decisions...... Martin
Old 09-13-2005, 04:25 AM
WWI Ace
triplane test pilot

Question

Martin. I do have a question for you since you have so much WWI documentation. The only picture I have of Lothar Richthofen's triplane says that it was red and yellow. Is that true according to the information you have? It shows that the front of the fuse and the middle and bottom wings are the streaked olive drab color. From about the cockpit to the rudder are yellow. The cowl, all struts, and the wheel covers are red. The bottom of the plane is the typical sky blue color. I'm not sure if this was the only tripe he flew but the serial number is Fok DRI 454/17. It says that it was in Jasta 11, March 1918. I've got an extra DVFlighttech tripe and I thought this would be both an interesting and colorful plane to build if it's correct. I don't think that in all the RC triplanes I've seen has anyone ever modeled one of these. Have you ever seen one? That is, if this color scheme is accurate. Don't worry about it if you don't have the time to look it up. I was just wondering. I got this information from the book; Osprey Aircraft Of The Aces 40, Fokker DrI Aces of World War One.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:12 AM
Walt Thyng
Walt

Here's a photo of the landing gear befor final trimming. The wheels are from an umbrella stroll and are close to the size my plans call for.

More photos tomorrow.
Walt
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1 copy.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	1551  
Old 09-14-2005, 08:35 PM
Ron

looking good Walt...I used Fibreglass to do the cowl on the DR1, and balsa and ply for the cowl on the D V111....both seem to work well...I have had absolutely no nose over troubles with the DR 1....and am hoping the D V111 is going to be the same . I built a smaller version of the D V111
72" span rwo years ago, ...and it was fine so I'm hoping the 1/4 scale one does ok too. The new D V111 will be lozenge camo as is the first one, it will be painted free hand just as the full scale one was, one colour for fuselage top and sides...another for the bottom...OD wing, black and white stripes on the horizontal stab/elevator, and white rudder. it's all framed up at the moment, and I'm just making the wing mounting system for it now.....
power will be adequate to swing a 28" prop. It will also have the MG sounds installed. This system ( RAM ) is currently being used in the DR 1, and works great.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:45 PM
luc

can you elaborate on this mg system? web adress? price? cnan you post the sound?
Old 09-14-2005, 10:34 PM
Walt Thyng
Walt

Okay, my last Tripe build photo was of the partial landing gear with wheels.

Photo #1 of two pairs of umbrella stroller wheels that are close to the size I need. The red set weighs 3oz! It has about a hundred flights on my Jenny. The white set (1/2 in. smaller) weighs 4 oz! Take that Wms Bros (-:

Photo #2 is of the cabane. it is bent from on piece of 1/8 music wire and took about an hour to bend and get square. Just a vice, a hammer and pliers for tools (plus a square a ruler and a triangle)

Photo #3 is of the wing mount. The tips are electrical eyes.
Photo #4 shows fitting the cabane to the top wing.
Photo #5 shows the top wing mounted.

Next set will be of the cowl. I went with wood.
Walt

Name:	wheels.JPG
Views:	437
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	1571   Click image for larger version

Name:	cabane.JPG
Views:	442
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	1572   Click image for larger version

Name:	cabane clsoe.JPG
Views:	456
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	1573   Click image for larger version

Name:	cabane on wing.JPG
Views:	476
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	1574   Click image for larger version

Name:	top wing mounted.JPG
Views:	489
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	1575  

Old 09-15-2005, 12:17 AM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default Lothar Von Richtofen's plane

WWI Ace here is a good look at the Tripe LVR flew: http://www.wingstrut.com/fokker_dr_i.htmat
http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Brother-Rich...ayphotohosting
More to come. Martin
Old 09-15-2005, 01:55 AM
WWI Ace
triplane test pilot

Martin. I'm not able to pull up the wingstrut .com link but the Ebay one looks like the picture I have.Steve
Old 09-15-2005, 03:34 AM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default LVRichtofen

WWI Ace, you have all the images that I do for a camo scheme for LVR plane. I would also suggest you look at the tripe with the white and black diagonal stripes on the top plane. Also do a search on:http://www.fokkerdr1.com/ look in the artwork section. Guys, here are some of my favorite sites. I right click on the images and set as background for your computer front page.
http://www.kitparade.com/features01/albatrosdvamm_1.htm
http://www.wwiaviation.com/lozenge.shtml
http://www.wwi-models.org/Images/Mil...nder/Albatros/
I do have several sets of plans for the ALBATROS series (from 1/4 scale to park flyer size). I plan to build one this winter. All the Best Guys, martin
Old 09-15-2005, 09:23 AM
Gordon

Hey all you Fokker pilots .... you'd better keep checking your six for my SE5a :p

Gordon

Name:	00.JPG
Views:	640
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	1595  
Old 09-15-2005, 07:08 PM
Ron

luc:......I'm not able to post the sound, but I will post a link to the RAM site when I return home. Although it isn't " exactly " perfect sound wise, it's more than good enough to make bystanders go " Whoa....is that ever cool ! "
Old 09-15-2005, 11:37 PM
WWI Ace
triplane test pilot

I forgot about Ernst Udet's black and white striped tripe! That would probably be the best one for the DVFlighttech triplane because it's so small (1/12th scale). This would definitely keep it lighter because I could just leave the depron white and spray the black stripes. I think I can do a good enough job on the olive drab streaked camo that I won't gain much weight. While we're on the subject of the streaked green camo, I have a question. I have read different books and some say the planes were O.D. green streaks over lighter green and some say they were painted all sky blue with O.D. green lightly steaked over it. Which according to your info is correct? I have two books and two different descriptions. What do you think? Sorry to keep bugging you but you are so knowledgable about the subject!!! Thanks for all the time you spend answering all my questions!!!! Steve.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:40 PM
WWI Ace
triplane test pilot

Hey Gordon!!! You'd better be careful!!! There are a whole lot of Fokker pilots and only one SE5a pilot! Watch the sun because we're looking for you!!!!
Old 09-16-2005, 12:02 AM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default Huns

Achtung Gordon!!! Ve are the Huns in the Sun!!! Ve are going to put the wind up your tail!! Better check your six!!!! He He He
Old 09-16-2005, 02:04 PM
Walt Thyng
Walt

Wl I decided to go with a wood cowl for my Dr.1 after I found a couple of blocks I had forgotten about.
Photo #1 the assembled blank
#2 rough cut blank ready to be faced
#3 faced blank tack glued to fuse. Note protective tape
#4 after 15 minutes of shaping w/ #60 sandpaper. Reference line is beginning of curved surface.
#5 after another 10 minutes. Reference line is for cowl face plate
#6 the result of less than an hour's work

I have sinced fitted the face plate and am now working on alignment before installing servos. Having a bit of a problem with the interplane struts. All the individual wing measurements are correct acording to the plans, but when I tried to fit the interplane the mid wing seems out of allignment. Have to study the plans some more.
Walt

Name:	cowl blank.JPG
Views:	381
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	1615   Click image for larger version

Name:	cowl face sanding.JPG
Views:	388
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	1616   Click image for larger version

Name:	tacked and taped.JPG
Views:	381
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	1617   Click image for larger version

Name:	cowl w: ref line.JPG
Views:	363
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	1618   Click image for larger version

Name:	face plate mkr.JPG
Views:	388
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	1619  

Click image for larger version

Name:	cowl shaped.JPG
Views:	430
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	1620  
Old 09-17-2005, 08:49 PM
WWI Ace
triplane test pilot

Martin!!!
I got the Fokker DVIII plans! Man are these cool!!! The closest Hobby shop is 60 miles away and I can't wait to get some wood!!! I am so excited. Now I need a new outrunner for the front of it. Gotta use an outrunner to get the scale feeling of the real engines torque. After all, the real planes engine was just a fuel burning outrunner right? What are you going to cover yours with? Solite or something similar? Thanks again for the plans. I'll keep you up to date once I get started on the build.
Fellow Fokker pilot,
Steve
Old 09-17-2005, 09:14 PM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default Plans

WWI Ace! the pleasure is mine! Please enjoy them and if you want, give a copy to someone else who just "needs" to build one also. Polyspan is an excellent covering material available from Aerodrome RC (comes in a 25 foot roll). You will need to use SIG stix it to adhere it to the airframe. It can be sprayed for that "official" look and feel. Just remember to only spray just enough to cover it. It will not crush delicate structures when you shrink it. What size Outrunner are you planning to use? I may just end up buying one too. Perhaps we should do a simultaious build. I think that would be cool don't you? I have a geared 350 GWS drive I could also use. I place orders with Balsa USA or Lonestar for wood. I also strip my own to get the proper size. On the airlerons, I think I can hide a single servo in the wing for the airlerons or I may opt to use 2 PICOs or Blue Birds. Let me know what you think. Hey Guys, who else wants to do a WWI build? Come on don't be shy, step up to the plate. Martin
Old 09-17-2005, 09:18 PM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default Dri

Walt, I am blown away by your build on the DRI! Please keep the pics and progress reports coming. You are doing an excellent job on the tripe!. I'm jealous I'm not building one too. Perhaps this winter. All the Best, Martin

Last edited by scalercflyer; 09-18-2005 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-18-2005, 04:20 AM
WWI Ace
triplane test pilot

Scalercflyer. I have a Eflite Park 400 940kv outrunner that I'll probably use. It will fly a plane up to 20oz. I like the outrunners because they are easy to mount, no gear ratios to figure out, and they are very quiet. I think I can run up to a 11x4.7 prop. Should have more than enough power. I want to sit down and "study" the plans so I can start thinking about the build. I do that with plastic planes too. I like to look something over and then give my brain time to digest it. It gives me time to get a battleplan together. You smart guys probably don't have to do that. Anyway, I was also going to ask you what your technique is for rib cutting? What do you use to cut out the ribs? Enough questions for tonight. I was up until 3:30am finishing the marathon build on the Fokker DVII parkflyer. Not a scale plane but it looks okay. Didn't get to maiden it today because once again the wind was blowing 20mph. Maybe tomorrow after church!! I'm gonna get some sleep, talk to you guys tomorrow!!!
Old 09-18-2005, 12:36 PM
Walt Thyng
Walt

Hey Ace,
studying the plans and coming up wioth a "batttle plan" is a big part of the fun (-:
Walt

Quick Reply: WWI planes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10313 seconds with 22 queries