WWI Era Discuss all your favorite WWI warbirds here!

Re-birth of an Albatros

Old 09-03-2008, 11:17 PM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default Personal markings

Many aces went into battle with their favorite markings on the side of their aircraft. May I suggest that there is nothing more personal than your family coat of arms? Maybe there was never a plane so marked in the first world war. But who cares? I think it's a neat thing to do. One of my winter projects will have my family coat of arms emblazoned on the fuselage sides. Really puts a personal touch on your plane doesn't it? Besides when I'm flying in the war choked skies over South Jersey, those Camels will see that marking and flee!! (pay attention degreen). Martin
Old 09-04-2008, 12:32 AM
degreen60
Flying Fish

Originally Posted by scalercflyer View Post
One of my winter projects will have my family coat of arms emblazoned on the fuselage sides. Martin
Your coat of arms is a bullseye?
Old 09-04-2008, 01:30 AM
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun

Originally Posted by degreen60 View Post
Your coat of arms is a bullseye?
LOL....Good one Degreen!!
Old 09-04-2008, 05:00 PM
7car7

I was thinking that the leather would be on the heavy side for a plane this size, but maybe not - we are talking a pretty thin piece. Thanks for the idea!

Coat of arms is EXACTLY what I had in mind. Not only did no planes really have mine (that I know of, but who knows), but I'm going to put one on one side, and another on the other side. Mother's maiden name, and Father's mother's name - both German. (My Father's and mine are Irish, so that won't work for this one)
I'm just having trouble verifying one of them - Junge. Some say it's the same as Young, or Younge, but I'm not sure yet. It's POSSIBLY a white stag - which would look great on a plane. The other is known, and it's a lion with a hammer - very cool again for a fighter plane!

Yep, these are in the plans, I guess I'd just like to fly it before TOO much detail goes into it. I'm a chicken I guess!

Degreen - the bullseye comment was hilarious!
Old 09-05-2008, 12:30 AM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default Targets

Degreen you're the one with the big round targets on your wings and fuselage! Sorta looks to me like a good place to shoot at! I'll put the wind up your tail yet (WWI jargon for scare the crap out of you). BTW, don't be jealous, the English had coats of arms too.....!!!!! Martin
Old 09-05-2008, 12:35 AM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default Coat of arms for Junge

Just for you Pal. Martin
http://www.houseofnames.com/xq/asp.c...-coat-arms.htm
Old 09-05-2008, 01:33 AM
degreen60
Flying Fish

Degreen you're the one with the big round targets on your wings and fuselage! Sorta looks to me like a good place to shoot at! I'll put the wind up your tail yet (WWI jargon for scare the crap out of you). BTW, don't be jealous, the English had coats of arms too.....!!!!! Martin
I was wondering when someone was going to notice the bullseyes on my planes.LOL. Yes, the english had a coat of arms. All my grandparents had english names. I think I even have the Greene coat of arms in my desk. I now spell my name Green but some of my relation has put the e back on the name. If I remember correctly the coat of arms has a shield, maybe that will stop the bullets. LOL
Old 09-05-2008, 01:47 AM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default Shield

You're killing me degreen! Martin
Old 09-05-2008, 01:49 AM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default Greene coat of Arms

Just for you degreen. Martin
Old 09-08-2008, 05:23 PM
7car7

oops, that's the English version!

Here's the German...

and for the other side of the plane...
http://www.houseofnames.com/fc.asp?sId=&s=schmidt
Old 09-08-2008, 11:57 PM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default Coat of Arms

Very cool looking COAs! I'm partial to the German side myself. Martin
Old 09-09-2008, 03:47 PM
7car7

Very cool looking COAs! I'm partial to the German side myself. Martin
I kinda got lucky, thought they both would look great on a war plane.

In other news, I finished painting the pilot, and I installed him. No pics yet, but this is the one I used - from Williams Brothers...

http://www.williamsbrothersmodelproducts.com/rc.html

I found no evidence in an Albatros book I have of German pilots having sheep skin collars, (well, at least not white ones), so the colar got the same dark brown as the rest of the coat. Gave the face a nice "patina" from oil and dirt spatter, and of course, a scarf. This is a tiny little pilot, so I'm not sure how good a photo in the plane will look. But I'll try. Sure does give a great look, every plane needs a pilot.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:42 PM
7car7

Finally got to the field with the Albatros, but no maiden. I chickened out. There was a slight breeze on the ground that I just wasn't comfortable with. Took the SE5a up, and at 1/2 throttle it would just sit in one spot at about 200 feet up.

But I got some "field" pics. It's finally ready to fly, now that I have those!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	assorted 056.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	78321   Click image for larger version

Name:	assorted 057.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	78322   Click image for larger version

Name:	assorted 058.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	78323  
Old 09-17-2008, 07:28 PM
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun

Wow....Looks SWEET!!!
Old 09-17-2008, 07:35 PM
7car7

Thanks!
Old 09-17-2008, 08:18 PM
degreen60
Flying Fish

I like all the rigging. Don't fly the Albatros when a SE5A is up, I would hate to see it get shot down.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:39 PM
7car7

I was going to get a shot of the 2 of them sitting side by side, but figured you'd assume the Albatros was captured and about to get Roundels!
Old 09-19-2008, 06:14 PM
7car7

Default She flies!

I had a successful maiden last night!

Had a very difficult time getting it to go through the grass without nosing over. I've never had that problem with my GP SE5a. I'm guessing the wheels on the Albatros are a bit further back than what would be best for grass fields. I like to do scale like take-offs, but it wasn't an option. Pretty much had to give full up elevator, and full throttle to get it to leap off the grass.

Flight was relatively good, cruised around at a little over 1/2 throttle. Had a very scale like presence to it. Ailerons were not giving enough authority, so I decided to land it and increase the throws in addition to the elevator throw.

Second flight was much better. One thing about this plane that I'm not used to - it is VERY slippery in the air. Point it down, and it goes FAST! My SE5 and Tigermoth are much more draggy it seems.

Overall, it was a good 2 flights. Need to work some bugs out, and at this point, not 100% what those bugs are. Maybe a different prop, and perhaps more rear weight bias. This plane is NOT a floater, (even though it's 3oz less than before I rebuilt it), it's actually quite intense for my abilities. Will take some getting used to.

Oh, both landings gave a nice roll over onto it's top. No damage whatsoever. Will need to find a field with better grass!

Hope to get a video soon, now that I've got the first flight done, I'll let someone film it!
Old 09-19-2008, 08:02 PM
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun

That is great to hear!!!!!

Congrats on the rebirth and remaiden!!
Old 09-21-2008, 10:09 PM
WWI Ace
triplane test pilot

7car7, that is a MUCH better looking plane than what you started with!!! Congrats on the successful maiden!!! Steve
Old 09-22-2008, 01:02 AM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default The maiden

Congrats on your sucessful build 7car7. Very, very nice job on the Albatros. All planes have different flight characteristics. Give yourself some time to get used to her. She's a beauty. You did us proud. Martin
Old 09-22-2008, 03:18 PM
7car7

I made a real simple balance tool over the weekend. Just a block of 2x4 wood, with some 1/8 steel wire sticking out at a 45* raked angle back. The ends have a 1 inch "L" bend. (90*)

Threw the Albatros on there, and even at 1/4 chord, the plane was nose heavy. 1/3 chord (only 1/2 inch away) really sent the tail in the air.

So, I've re-aranged some wires inside, and moved the battery all the way back and vertical. First flight it was laying down length wise, and on it's ORIGINAL flights it was vertical all the way to the front. That's what that little "box" under the nose is - for the battery to sit in.

Well, that box (only 2g) is now gone, and it's balancing pretty good now. The battery is very close to CG - which is cool because I don't have to worry as much about battery weight if I want to get a different one down the road.

Haven't had the chance to re-fly with the new ballance yet, but I have a couple dimes thrown into my radio bag that I can tape to the tail skid if I feel I need to. I'm dying to give it a try, I'm sure it will be way better.

Thanks SO much for the nice comments, really appreciate that!
Old 09-23-2008, 07:20 PM
degreen60
Flying Fish

I made my balance tool from coat hanger. I cut the hanger in two. Bent two legs 90 degrees that fit under wing and about the last inch is bent upward for the plane to balance on. Then I took differant colors of tape and taped 1/2 inch wide strips on the legs. Now to balance plane I simply place the legs under the wing and look at the tape when it balances for the measurement.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:01 PM
7car7

Default Video

It's the video we've all been waiting for! Well, maybe mostly me!

It won't win any awards, for video or flying, but here ya go.

(aint the kid cute?)

Old 09-25-2008, 05:18 PM
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun

Looks like she flies nicely.

Your kid was funny too...

Quick Reply: Re-birth of an Albatros

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15237 seconds with 14 queries