3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

New! Parkzone Sukhoi Su-26m BNF

Old 07-27-2009, 04:20 PM
bassplayinDude

Originally Posted by Alpea42 View Post
Hey any of you people have a camera. Most new planes people take pictures and video??
I have a camera and would love to upload pictures and video. Unfortunately, I can't convince my 4 year old to come with me to the field and that needs to happen if my wife is to video my (crappy) flying. At some point I may break down and work on a baseball cap mount for our camera, but I'd rather have someone else working the camera controls so I can focus on the plane.

I know it seems counter-intuitive, but I had my most stable flight with the battery all the way at the front of the battery tray. With the battery in this position I won't be doing any aerobatics, just doing circuits and learning how to fly a bird with the wing mid-fuselage (only flown high wing and low wing birds before).

I was hoping due to its low weight that my Sukhoi would be able to pull off stunts like I do on my BUG, but my Sukhoi doesn't have that kind of power available on tap. It also will get thrown around quite easily by the wind. Any kind of breeze will cause a wing to drop. I've gotten a little faster on the sticks, but not fast enough all the time.

I definitely use proportionally higher altitude with my Sukhoi compared to my BUG. With my BUG I'm not concerned at all about going low and slow a foot off the deck. I tried this with my Sukhoi but a wing drop stopped that real quick.

Yesterday I flew without the landing gear in a short grass field. Ended up dumping it 3-4 times with no apparent damage. The factory installed prop lasted almost 5 minutes and 3 landings between 1st & 2nd base when I maidened it last week, but the included replacement prop has handled everything since then.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:31 AM
Quiel
Time to Fly!

Originally Posted by Alpea42 View Post
Hey any of you people have a camera. Most new planes people take pictures and video??
Here is my new sukhoi. One week old

The yellow YAK I built a week ago before I went on my trip. The blue one I started Saturday and finished today.

I am just waiting on the ESC programming card I ordered so I can maiden the YAKs
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PZ Sukhoi SU-26.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	106220   Click image for larger version

Name:	PZ Sukhoi, YAK 55 3D sv.JPG
Views:	306
Size:	244.5 KB
ID:	106221  
Old 07-28-2009, 03:30 PM
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

Thanks for vid posting Darth, for some dumb reason my P C wont play Vimeo.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:37 AM
Darth Elevator
fly, crash, fix, repeat

If it won't play the embedded video, you can try playing it directly on Vimeo's site. If that still won't work, you could try to download the source video file from Vimeo; it's usually available for about a week after the video is uploaded.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:43 AM
Tubeheadz

Im thinking about picking up one of these little planes. My only flying skills are 450 sized heli's and the planes in realflight g3. Would this be a bad purchase for beginner that wants to do more than buzz around in circles with a cub?
Old 07-29-2009, 11:57 AM
flyin fish

Default re: tubeheadz

Hey there my buddy bought one the next day after i did and his only experience was with a 3 channel cub and the little micro cessna 3 channel. The thing is are you okay with breaking a prop on the first flight? It seems everyone has no biggie though an extra is included. he rashes a good bit still in the grass and 95% of the time no damage at all. ive just broken props from landing on rough asphalt and scuffed the top of nose from hitting a powerline at night. so if you have some simulator exp. and a spektrum trans. go for it i got mine for 85.00 at my lhs. they list for 99.00
good luck
Old 07-31-2009, 03:54 AM
Air Brake

Originally Posted by Tubeheadz View Post
Im thinking about picking up one of these little planes. My only flying skills are 450 sized heli's and the planes in realflight g3. Would this be a bad purchase for beginner that wants to do more than buzz around in circles with a cub?

This is "NOT" a beginner aircraft. If you fly maybe half throttle with very low rates it flies docile enough but anything above that...the little thing responds very quickly. If you get it, go ahead and get several extra props at least and possibly a spare gearbox. Once the initial flight is taken and is set up to your satisfaction, the next flights are really cool.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:54 PM
bassplayinDude

Originally Posted by Air Brake View Post
This is "NOT" a beginner aircraft. If you fly maybe half throttle with very low rates it flies docile enough but anything above that...the little thing responds very quickly. If you get it, go ahead and get several extra props at least and possibly a spare gearbox. Once the initial flight is taken and is set up to your satisfaction, the next flights are really cool.
Only the factory installed prop has given me trouble. The included replacement prop has been duly tortured by me (nosedive into asphalt, brick wall, tree, ground, etc.) and other than being scuffed and picking up some house paint it works great.

Based on my driveway flying attempt, I brought it to another school playground. Two soccer fields back to back and what happens? I lost perspective, zigged when I should've zagged and parked it in a tree. Took about 15 minutes to get it out of the tree. Only damage was I mangled the elevator a bit getting it out of the tree. Hope to fix it up tonight with some packing tape and carbon fiber rod.

Anyway, my point is, I've flown a bunch of planes and fly almost daily, but I wasn't ready for the quickness of this bird. Now I look at it as a challenge to overcome because I want to be able to run this around in my yard or the drugstore parking lot across the street when they're closed. I just need to get faster on the sticks and not lose orientation.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:30 AM
robertloop

The factory installed prop seems to have been weakend by the glue they used to attach the spinner. My replacement prop that it came with has taken some serious abuse with no failure.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:21 PM
Air Brake

Originally Posted by robertloop View Post
The factory installed prop seems to have been weakend by the glue they used to attach the spinner. My replacement prop that it came with has taken some serious abuse with no failure.
Ya'll have a good theory on the prop being weakened by the glue. My first prop busted on first impact but so far the second one is still intact.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:35 AM
robertloop

I went and got two replacement props expecting some snappage but the second prop is still surviving prop strikes. Even really bad ones. A header into the pavement can hardly be classified as a "prop strike" but its still going.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:05 AM
MadMonkey
OOGA BOOGA

I flew one of these for the first time today and I have to say I'm not impressed. I can't believe how flimsy the stabs are. It also seemed very underpowered, but that could be because of a slightly bent prop shaft (my Vapor felt the same way with an out-of-balance prop).

I felt like I was going to tear it to pieces just adjusting the pushrods. I think I'll wait on this one. Sucks because I usually love their new planes...
Old 08-04-2009, 03:20 AM
waddy015

I just Bought this little plane yesterday. My LhS was all out of the cessna, but the guy convinced me to try this one out. I also needed the remote to finish another model of mine so I kinda killed 2 birds with one stone After taking it out of the box my first impression was that this little thing cost me 99$. Not getting to discouraged i took it out and charged up the battery. The light said it was done charging about 10 min after i plugged it in. Test flight time. the wind was blowing about 5 mph and was feeling to lazy to leave my house so i throttled it up and pushed it off my deck. All i can say is this thing is worth every penny. loop after loop, barrel roll after barrel roll without even leaving my backyard!!! Flight time lasted about 10 Min with 3/4 throttle.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:58 AM
VamPower
Urban R/C

Most people seem to be sold out of these, but we anticipated this being a great flying plane and ordered a lot! We still have a few left along with all the parts.
http://www.vampowerpro.com/
Old 08-09-2009, 10:06 PM
ravenphoto
Just 1 more plane

Originally Posted by groundrushesup View Post
I just pre-ordered one from RedRocket.

I wonder if it will hover.
It will hover with mods such as repositioning electronics changing where the weight is higher in the plane with no upgrades to electronics or prop.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:11 PM
ravenphoto
Just 1 more plane

Originally Posted by Quiel View Post
It's out. At least here in So. Cal. I actually got the last one from my LHS (Airland) this afternoon. I was there picking up a new receiver and some parts for my new foamies. I just happen to walk in and saw it on display. So I asked if they were in and and I took the last one from Rudy today. He said they came in yesterday.

Have not had a chance to maiden it yet. I got tied up finishing my scratch build Yak 55 3D foamies. But the batteries are all charged up. Will try to maiden tomorrow for sure.
I preordered 2 and should finally come in this week. Got antsy and picked up a Parkzone vapor, flew it 1st thing this morning while it was dead calm. But as soon as there is any breeze it is just too much. That is where the Sukhoi will be better, not so much like a kite.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:22 PM
ravenphoto
Just 1 more plane

Originally Posted by rudderfeet View Post
Also note that you'll need to put a small strip of velcro (hook side) on your spare 110 mAh batteries. That may make them trickier to fit in the mCX tray, so I'd recommend testing them before velcroing all your batteries.
I changed out the velcro on my Vapor this morning as the stock stuff was always letting go. I picked up 25ft of heavy duty stuff
Old 08-10-2009, 04:29 AM
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

I got video of a club member sport flying one early this morning [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUXntj7W5IA[/media] He's not really a 3D pilot yet.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:53 AM
VamPower
Urban R/C

Originally Posted by ravenphoto View Post
I preordered 2 and should finally come in this week. Got antsy and picked up a Parkzone vapor, flew it 1st thing this morning while it was dead calm. But as soon as there is any breeze it is just too much. That is where the Sukhoi will be better, not so much like a kite.
Why preorder when you can have one NOW.

Vampowerpro.com has the Sukhoi IN STOCK. As well as most of the parts, but the receivers and servos have been selling quickly. We anticipated a winner here and placed a HUGE order many months ago. Still have a couple left.

After you place your order for a Sukhoi, send an email to [email protected] that you saw this post and I will include one of our 130mAh Vampower batteries for FREE! Don't forget to include your "real" name so I can find your order.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:18 PM
Fatcat1

Do these planes seem a bit underpowered or is it just me?
Old 08-10-2009, 05:37 PM
ScottP107

Originally Posted by Fatcat1 View Post
Do these planes seem a bit underpowered or is it just me?
I had the same reaction. Everyone is saying this is not a beginners plane, and while that may be true, I haven't found it difficult to fly and I am by no means a great pilot. I was expecting it to be a lot quicker than it has turned out to be. Not to say I am not enjoying it though

The thing that is killing me with it is it seems too front heavy, the first time I took it out I placed the battery in the middle per the recommendation in the manual and after I hand launched it promptly nose dived into the grass and snapped the prop. Since then, I have been placing the battery further back and using a lot of up trim and it seems to be ok, I just wish I didn't have to use as much trim to get it to fly straight.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:44 PM
Fatcat1

I think I will add some lead fishing weight to the tail some how. to get it to fly S&L the elevator is trimmed pretty much all the way on my DX6i. Its been to windy to really dial it in.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:12 PM
bassplayinDude

Originally Posted by Fatcat1 View Post
I think I will add some lead fishing weight to the tail some how. to get it to fly S&L the elevator is trimmed pretty much all the way on my DX6i. Its been to windy to really dial it in.
I've been following the myriad of RCG threads on this Sukhoi. Seems that taping a dime over one of the cooling holes to the rear of the battery tray will help move CoG back farther. Also, many people have been raving about replacing the stock prop with a GWS 5030 or 5043 by using a 1.5mm prop saver.

Instead of using a dime, I beefed up my tail with packing tape and CF rods. It flies better but I think I added too much weight to the tail. Will remove some of the CF I added and see if that helps out at all. I haven't tried a 5030/5043 prop yet because they were sold out 'due to unexpected demand' .
Old 08-11-2009, 02:45 AM
robertloop

I think they are all nose heavy. I run mine with the battery as far back as it will go and some up trim.

HUGE edit. I think I now know why mine is nose heavy. I just did some operation work and opened up the fuse like the manual says to do it. I pop it open and............

The nose has 5 quarts of glue in it. Looks like they used way too much glue to hold in the motor assembly. I'm going in with an exacto right now to take it all out. A very excessive ammount of glue! Check yours folks. This could be a huge mod/fix. I'll letcha know how it flys in a couple hours.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:37 AM
robertloop

Ok.... got all 5 quarts of glue out and got a flight in. It's definitely better but not totally solved. Still flying with the battery all the way back. I did notice that I could hold a hover longer and the roll rate is noticably faster. (Not really sure how the roll rate is faster)

Quick Reply: New! Parkzone Sukhoi Su-26m BNF

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15054 seconds with 13 queries